Konteradmiral z.V. Heinz-Eduard Menche - Wehrmacht DA eligibility

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Konteradmiral z.V. Heinz-Eduard Menche - Wehrmacht DA eligibility

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 16 Aug 2021, 16:40

Menche's Wehrmacht DA eligibility was something I previously discussed with Gregg (graveland) and Pierce (luftk). Back then, based on what I thought was photographic evidence, we agreed that Menche received the Wehrmacht DA 4. bis 1. Klasse. But looking at the photos again, I think we made a mistake and I would like your help in solving this matter.

Since Menche was in active service from April 1903 until November 1932, the number of years in active service are not the issue here, because he had more than 25 years of active service before he was reactivated during WW2.

The question is, was he eligible for the Wehrmacht DA during the time he was "zur Verfügung der Kriegsmarine gestellt" from 19 July 1939 until 27 January 1941 (when he assumed the post as Chef der Kriegsmarinedienststelle Bordeaux)? I know that the Wehrmacht DA were awarded until August 1939, before the outbreak of the war. This would be enough time (between July and August 1939) for him to be awarded the DA. But I don't know if this time is regarded as active service time?

Regarding the supposed photos of Menche wearing the Wehrmacht DA, I posted them below for you to see. The first photo is the one, based on which I assumed he was awarded the Wehrmacht DA. The problem was that I could see (because of the poor quality of the photo) only one "eagle" on one of the last ribbons (pointed by the red arrow). Because the ribbon is placed near the end of the ribbon bar (where the foreign awards should be), I am now sceptical about it beign the Wehrmacht DA. What is your opinion? It should also be taken into consideration that Menche had two foreign awards.

His list of awards that I am aware of:
-Deutsches Kreuz in Silber am 28. 08. 1944 als Konteradmiral z.V. und Chef der Kriegsmarinedienststelle Marseille
-Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 1. Klasse
-Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse
-Ritterkreuz des Königlich Dänischen Dannebrog-Ordens
-Ritterkreuz des Königlich Italienischen Ordens vom Heiligen Mauritius- und Lazarus
-Marineverwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (1918)
-Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse des Königlich Württembergischen Friedrichs-Ordens mit Schwertern
-Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse
-Lübeckisches Hanseatenkreuz
-Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer
-Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) 1. Klasse mit Schwertern (20. 04. 1942)
-Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) 2. Klasse mit Schwertern (01. 09. 1941)

My attempt at identifying the ribbon bar (from the second photo where it is better visible):

- Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse
- Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) 2. Klasse mit Schwertern
- Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse des Königlich Württembergischen Friedrichs-Ordens mit Schwertern
- Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse
- Lübeckisches Hanseatenkreuz
- Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer
- ??? (a foreign award?)
- ??? (this is the ribbon whose device look like the Wehrmacht DA to me)
- ??? (also a foreign award, plain green ribbon. perhaps the Ritterkreuz des Königlich Italienischen Ordens vom Heiligen Mauritius- und Lazarus?)
Attachments
Menche1.jpg
Menche1.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Menche2.jpg
Menche2.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Heinz-Eduard Menche (4).jpg
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”