Oberst a.D. Eduard Balbach (1889-1943)

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Peter
Financial supporter

Oberst a.D. Eduard Balbach (1889-1943)

Post by Peter » 17 Jan 2022, 18:22

Oberst a D Eduard Balbach was born 5 Apr 1889 in Kirbaten/Lithuania and at the time of his death was divorced.
He was found dead at his home in Kauen, General Zukaukastraße 87 at 09:30 on the morning of 2 Aug 1943 and had last been seen alive on 31 Jul 1943.
Detectives assigned by Kommandeur der Sipo und des SD Litauen began an investigation but were pulled off the case and it was closed and ruled suicide.

I have been unable to trace any information concerning the career of Oberst Balbach, please can anybody advise. Was his service with the Lithuanian Army and not the Prussian Army perhaps ?
Thank you

[email protected]

Re: Oberst a.D. Eduard Balbach (1889-1943)

Post by [email protected] » 12 Oct 2023, 22:34

Being the grandson of E.B's oldest brother Karl, and having lived with my grandmother who passed away in 1988, to my knowledge E.B had served with the Lituaian Army.
Before his death, he had served at the court of appeals as a judge having studied law Amon other places at St. Petersburg.
He had been married to Sonya Bergman, their son Anatol later moved to the US where he died I guess in St. Louis having worked at the Reserve Bank there as Economist.
Oct. 2023

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”