And now for something totally off-topic...

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Michael Miller
Forum Staff

And now for something totally off-topic...

Post by Michael Miller » 26 May 2002, 06:13

I don't want to sound melodramatic here, but I just want to share with you something that happened today, something that almost left this Axis Biographical Research forum without a moderator.

I am a fairly capable swimmer- had to be to complete Navy boot camp. But I'm not so great at crossing a small but swiftly flowing river. To make a long, terrifying story short, midway across, the current grabbed me and drew me inexorably toward the rapids. The only thing preventing my descent into the rocks jutting from the rushing water (and probable paraplegia) was a spiny, ragged little bush. I somehow managed to reach out to it, and though weak from the ice cold water, I struggled to pull myself to a position of safety. This was rather difficult as the water was pounding unmercifully against my chest. I genuinely believed I was going to die.

But it wasn't my time, because I still have a son to raise, a wife to provide for (and note to self: increase life insurance policy!) a book to finish, a website to complete, and questions to answer for my fellow Axis Biographical Researchers.

To my fellow American visitors here- have an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend, but don't do anything which would result in memorial services for yourself.

~ Mike "Glad to be Alive" Miller

thomas

Post by thomas » 26 May 2002, 09:06

Dear Mark

I am very glad to hear that you are well. Not because you make a great work, but because you are a husband and a father. This thing shows that a lot of things are not so important than to live a life.

I congratulate you to your "second" life.

Best regards

thomas

Richard Murphy

Similar experience

Post by Richard Murphy » 26 May 2002, 10:35

I had a similar experience a few years back after swimming out to the end of Bournemouth pier. The tide turned, and, if it hadn't been for a rather observant friend of mine who, unknown to me, had decided to go to the beach, I would almost certainly drowned just meters away from safety!

Truly a VERY scary experience. I am glad you are okay and hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend with your wife and son.

Best wishes from the Park,

Rich

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 26 May 2002, 11:44

I'm glad you're ok.

/Marcus

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 26 May 2002, 12:26

Also glad to hear yer ok!

GFM2000

Post by GFM2000 » 27 May 2002, 04:23

Good to hear that you're OK, Micheal.

Take care now,

Peter J. Hertel

Post by Peter J. Hertel » 27 May 2002, 05:34

Awfully sorry to hear about your "near to death" event and that you managed to climb out of "Davy Jones' Locker" fully recovered.

You're number ain't up yet.

You surely would have been missed by one and all, including your enemies!

All the best.

Your friend,

Peter

Al Carter

Blessed little shrubbery!

Post by Al Carter » 27 May 2002, 16:41

Mike,

May that little shrubbery live a long and green life. Glad to hear that you are still with us. I would have had to drop a book from my Christmas list otherwise. Hehe. I to had my run-in with the deep blue (swimming pool), but thanks to a small kid saving another small kid this non-swimmer is still here.

Al Carter

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 May 2002, 18:05

Thanks very much for all of your kind words~ they mean a great deal to me.

On another note, let us today remember all the victims- military and civilian, combatant and noncombatant, Allied and Axis- of the Second World War (and all the other conflicts of recent memory).

~ Mike

pdhinkle36ID

NOT your time, events that change our lives

Post by pdhinkle36ID » 02 Jun 2002, 13:25

Mike:: I am happy you lived to tell it.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”