Die Bandenkämpfer - Holders of Bandenkampfabzeichen

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
steph2

Post by steph2 » 21 Dec 2006, 17:58

Drapeau Noir wrote:Steph thanks,

What's your source about him?

Cheers
T
Hello,

it's from a letter written by him in 1987. He writes that he received the BKA in February 1945 from the hands of the RFSS.

Cheers,
Stefan

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 21 Dec 2006, 21:20

Stefan
That is very very interesting news. Many thanks for letting us know. That must be when he recieved the Gold from the RFSS as he had combat days to qualify for the Silver in January 1944, according to my card index
Sadly I have no date for his award, anyone seen his personnel file by any chance?
Regards
Matt Gibbs

steph2

Post by steph2 » 21 Dec 2006, 21:33

Matt Gibbs wrote:Stefan
That is very very interesting news. Many thanks for letting us know. That must be when he recieved the Gold from the RFSS as he had combat days to qualify for the Silver in January 1944, according to my card index
Sadly I have no date for his award, anyone seen his personnel file by any chance?
Regards
Matt Gibbs
Hello Matt,

he only got the BKA in silver.
I believe that January 1944 is used as a default date for those recipients with unknown/unconfirmed dates.

Cheers,
Stefan

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 21 Dec 2006, 22:33

I have never heard of that before, where did you get it from?
ttfn
Matt

steph2

Post by steph2 » 21 Dec 2006, 23:25

Regarding the January 1944 as a default date? - It's just a quick assumption made by me without any major facts...let's forget that :D
I got a copy of Lombard's SS-Stammrollen-Auszug that has dates after January 1944 and nothing is written about a BKA.
So can it be an assumption of some writer, that put 1/44 for Lombard?
From what reference did you get Lombard's date?

Regarding only the BKAiS for Lombard? - He writes that he received his BKAiS in February 1945. He received it at the same occasion as his promotion to Brigadeführer.
He also writes that the promotion was instead of the oak leaves to his knight's cross. There seems to have been some disagreements between Himmler and Lombard regarding Lombard's treatment of his men in the 31st SS-Frw.Division. Lombard didn't take the racial theory that hard with his division, since he wanted to have something to fight with.

If anyone sits home with more facts regarding Lombard and don't want to share it in public - please, PM/email me.

Cheers,
Stefan

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 21 Dec 2006, 23:49

I am suprised at the promotion versus oakleaves thing, interesting though. I believe the source for the Lombard date is on the many forum threads on the BKA. I have not made a specific note because I guess I thought if I needed to know I would look it up, and right not I don't have the time ;)
I think the list of the BKA holders is a very interesting one. For me, when I started with a card index in 2001 before I was even a forum member it was very slow process, but I was interested in what these units and people did, what they must have seen, and in some cases how they could do it!
I think it has been great the number of people who have come and contributed to all this information, which started out in 2003 from some very basic threads and PM's I had with Klemen K. and others. It is very slow but we have shown what a diverse range of units were involved and how the axis strategies and operations were made.
Hope we find some more recipients in 2007 ;)
The only thing that annoys me is when I see the information copied from here by people who then present it as all their own work without even giving a credit to the AHF and its members who have done all this work!
Best wishes to all
Matt Gibbs

steph2

Post by steph2 » 22 Dec 2006, 00:48

Matt Gibbs wrote:I am suprised at the promotion versus oakleaves thing, interesting though.
And where is that oakleaves proposal? That would be interesting to read...and the reject :)

I believe the source for the Lombard date is on the many forum threads on the BKA. I have not made a specific note because I guess I thought if I needed to know I would look it up, and right not I don't have the time ;)
Please, contact me when you do.

...was interested in what these units and people did, what they must have seen, and in some cases how they could do it!
Lombard is a great person to research since he is mentioned in a few books. But he wasn't the nicest guy around and the same goes with SS-Kav. I've started to read the German books that have some interesting information.

Cheers,
Stefan

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 22 Dec 2006, 01:41

Amazing to me that Lombard didn't hang, given his direct role in the mass murder of Jews and others as a leading officer of what I often think of as "Einsatzgruppe Fegelein" (SS-Kav.Brig. bzw. Div.). He did the mandatory 10 years in Soviet camps and lived out the rest of his life in freedom- As far as I know, never tried or even charged by West German authorities.

~ Mike

steph2

Post by steph2 » 22 Dec 2006, 09:37

Michael Miller wrote:Amazing to me that Lombard didn't hang, given his direct role in the mass murder of Jews and others as a leading officer of what I often think of as "Einsatzgruppe Fegelein" (SS-Kav.Brig. bzw. Div.). He did the mandatory 10 years in Soviet camps and lived out the rest of his life in freedom- As far as I know, never tried or even charged by West German authorities.

~ Mike
When I started to read about the SS-Kav I was astonished about the scores for SS-Kav against partisans. They could have killed thousends of partisans and only lost ten men...but I soon understood why.

He was tried by the Soviets and got away with it. He was taken to a village that was held by his regiment, but the inhabitants all praised Lombard since they never have had such order during their stay.

He was also about to be tried in 1970 by the West Germans, but there were not enough evidence.

According to Cüpper's text "Gustav Lombard. Ein engagierter Judenmörder der Waffen-SS" it was Lombard that came up with the idea to call jews partisans...if I read the German text correct :)

References:
* Martin Cüppers: Wegbereiter der Shoah. Die Waffen-SS, der Kommandostab Reichsführer-SS und die Judenvernichtung 1939-1945. Darmstadt 2005. ISBN 3-534-16022-3 .
* Martin Cüppers, „Gustav Lombard. Ein engagierter Judenmörder der Waffen-SS“, in: Klasu-Michael Mahlmann, Gerhard Paul (Hrsg.), Karrieren der Gewalt. Nationalsozialistische Täterbiographien. Darmstadt 2004. S. 145-155.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 22 Dec 2006, 14:01

Michael Miller wrote:Amazing to me that Lombard didn't hang, given his direct role in the mass murder of Jews and others as a leading officer of what I often think of as "Einsatzgruppe Fegelein" (SS-Kav.Brig. bzw. Div.). He did the mandatory 10 years in Soviet camps and lived out the rest of his life in freedom- As far as I know, never tried or even charged by West German authorities.

~ Mike
Some years ago I was in contact with Lombard. I will try and find his letter and post it
Phil Nix

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 22 Dec 2006, 22:43

Stefan
Reading the German language texts you will be able to tell us much more I think. :D
Many thanks
Matt Gibbs

Ernst-H

Post by Ernst-H » 25 Feb 2007, 22:08

Another name to add to the list (found pictures of an allready sold document grouping on a german dealers website)

HERMAN BLÖß
Oberwachtmeister der Gendarmerie d. Reserve
Bandenkampf abzeichen in Bronze
issue date : 20 Juli 1944
issued by: HSSPF Schwarzes Meer (Hildebrandt? signature)

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 26 Feb 2007, 13:54

Hi Ernst may you PM me the link to that pictures?
Cheers
T

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 07 Mar 2007, 17:15

New names

SS-Untersturmfuhrer Andreas Friedrich APBb
Oberfeldwebel Paul Kelmentz APBb Pol-Feldgendarmerie Abt. (mot.) 696

Errata Corrige
Gustav BRANKO with N

Cheers

Bergmolch

Post by Bergmolch » 09 Mar 2007, 15:45