Did Rommel and von Stauffenberg ever meet in person?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Beppo Schmidt

Did Rommel and von Stauffenberg ever meet in person?

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 02 Nov 2003, 21:52

Does anyone know if Rommel and Claus von Stauffenberg ever met in a non-official capacity, as in discussing the plot to overthrow Hitler, etc.? Did they personally know each other at all?

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 03 Nov 2003, 03:48

I think... yes is the answer biut I remember read abouth the General Speidel link th elink betwenn them.

I think Klaus was subordinate directly of Rommel in Afrika where he lost the eye in a bomb raid under the orders of Erwin.

But Erwin was opposite to kill Hitler just leave to Trial.

Best,

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 03 Nov 2003, 04:34

Rommel and Von Staffenberg didn't meet in person to discuss to kill Hitler. Remember that in the beginning of this plan, Rommel was oppose to it but was influence later by Speidel.

Regards

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 03 Nov 2003, 21:21

I think that Rommel and von Stauffenberg knew each other, but they were just acquaintances. Because if they would have been friends, I am quite sure that von Stauffenberg would personally ask Rommel to cooperate in 20th July conspiracy, without Speidels intervention. Rommels role in the plot is still a great enigma and I would like to know your opinion about that- did he cooperate with other conspirators, was he against them or did he just support them quietly? What do you think?

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 04 Nov 2003, 01:22

Thanks to all for the info. I don't think Rommel was deeply involved in the conspiracy, but he was supportive of it and willing to take a role in the government they planned to set up after Hitler's arrest or assassination.

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 04 Nov 2003, 10:27

I think that Rommel wasnt active in the 20july plot, but he supported them quietly and with hope they will make it. Hitler was getting on his nerves, because he didnt have a clue about military tactics and he was constantly making stupid decisions in order of hate, not knowing that this hate will bury not only him, but whole third reich too. Rommel was aware of that and because he reminded Hitler often on his mistakes, he payed for that with his life, like every man who confronted him too seriously.

Alecci

Post by Alecci » 14 Nov 2003, 15:29

In fact, Stauffenberg and Rommel did not meet very often. I knew they met twice during the North African campaign, while Stauffenberg was serving as Ia of the 10th Panzer Division (CO Freiherr von Broich).

Once or twice I have read that they once met during a social function somewhere, but since I've been able to find no particular sources for this argument I have some doubts about that.

As I've made clear in another thread, Rommel was part of the conspiracy, and while he did support the idea of overthrowing Hitler by force, he did not think it appropriate to have him killed.

The liaison between Rommel and the other conspirators was not Speidel, but instead a cousin of Stauffenberg's, Lieutenant-Colonel (Res.) Caesar von Hofacker, who served as a special missions officer in the administration of the military governor of Nothern France, General Karl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel.

Samuel Mitcham

Post by Samuel Mitcham » 22 Nov 2003, 05:32

Rommel and Stauffenberg met in Tunisia in early 1943, when Rommel was commanding Army Group Afrika and Stauffenberg was Ia of the 10th Panzer Division. Their relationship was strictly professional. As I recall, Stauffenberg arrived in Feb. 1943 and Rommel left in March 1943. Stauffenberg was critically wounded the following month. They had no direct contact thereafter.

Dr. Sandy Mitcham

John W

Post by John W » 22 Nov 2003, 05:37

Beppo Schmidt wrote:I don't think Rommel was deeply involved in the conspiracy, but he was supportive of it and willing to take a role in the government they planned to set up after Hitler's arrest or assassination.
Hello Beppo,

As posted above, neither Rommel nor von Stauffenberg ever met in the manner as you have asked.

Also have reservations about the manner in which Rommel is "assumed" to have been sympathetic to the July 20 attempt. IMHO, all we can glean from records is that Rommel had a very pessimistic (and ultimately realistic) view of things to come and his loss of confidence in high command. We also know that he was against killing/assasinating Hitler, because he feared a "second stab in the back phenomenon" so to speak, and civil war between the SS and the Heer and anarchy in the Reich, a situation Germany could ill afford.

AFAIK, there is nothing conclusive that states that "Rommel would have been sympathetic to their cause and was willing to accept a position in a post-coup Government".

Regards,
John

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”