Searching for information on a friends relatives

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
kobold

Searching for information on a friends relatives

Post by kobold » 09 Feb 2004, 01:48

In the "breaking the sound barrier" section I posted asking for some help in translating some documents regarding an Austrian relative (of a good friend of mine ), who served in the german army.

There were three brothers, all of whom served - one of whom may have been in the SS or Waffen-SS (check the collar insignia-looks like SS runes to me but I can't be %100 sure- we tried to improve the scans but the photos just arent clear enough-he also has a badge on the left tunic pocket):
http://www.walkerboyz.myby.co.uk/Titus/XinUniform.jpg (319k)

The relative for which we have documents is
Gefr. Titus Gostentschnig - died 18th November 1943 - we have no information on Unit etc.

http://www.walkerboyz.myby.co.uk/Titus/Titus.html
His death notices, grave photo, and "lehrbrief Prufungszeugnis" (apprenticeship certificate/ certificate of examination-according to altavista ) are at the above url.
The grave marker inscription is difficult to read on the actual photograph, and appears to read :
"Pz R BRIGD" , followed by date of birth and death
If anyone can help with information, or advice on searching we would be very grateful.

dave

kobold

Post by kobold » 09 Feb 2004, 18:16

thanks to Malbork for translating the newspaper cuttings - one says

"and Head of Security (?) Leopold Gostentschnig, lately resident in Magdalensberg 11, fallen in May 1945 at Damborice in Czechosolovakia, aged 33. "

probably the wrong section to ask in but does anyone have any information on units in this area on that date-May 1945 at Damborice in Czechosolovakia?
One brother (possibly Leopold) may have been in the SS or WaffenSS, as I mentioned in the first post above.

dave

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”