Hein Severloh and WN62 at Omaha Beach

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Alp Guard

Post by Alp Guard » 27 Jun 2005, 09:33

Eisenfaust wrote:
lasse from sweden wrote:
So what you mean is that even after his mg had been hit by a sharpnell he just took it up and begun to shot again? What i read on some page he used his k98 after that his mg was put out of order.
Well, I'm afraid I don't have any more sources to confirm this information. Corells book says that Severloh and the MG were hit, and since the MG's sight was damaged, Severloh had to use the last ammo belt, that included tracers which helped aiming. If someone has more information, I would also like to know "the truth".
Although his MG was hit several times by shrapnels, it still worked until the bitter end. He took it with him when he retreated.(Together with a 50 bullet drum). He then was hit by two bullets, threw his MG into a bush, and found medical help further inland, where he had to guard 4 american POW's. During the night they were surrounded by american troops and he surrendered. He spent the following 2 years in the U.S. working on cotton fields as a POW.

Only in the 1960's he disclosed the secret who was "the beast of Omaha", as the americans called him.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”