Spanienkreuz: Spanish Cross with diamonds (update)

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
WCSTUMP
In memoriam

Spanienkreuz: Spanish Cross with diamonds (update)

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 01:43

IT IS TIME TO REWRITE THE HISTORY BOOKS - SPANISH CROSS IN GOLD WITH DIAMONDS

On another forums controversy and confusion arose over a statement I made concerning a recipient who was bestowed the Spanish Cross in Gold and Diamonds who has never been listed as a recipient in any of the known reference books written since the end of W.W.II with the exception, as lone critic stated, in the "Militaria magazine." He was very skeptical of that report. That controversy led to a bit of file searching and investigative research conducted by my friend Otto Spronk from the Netherlands, As everyone knows, Otto is a world renowned scholar, researcher and old time collector of Third Reich items and their history.

One of the critics wrote the following and referred me back to this forum where this high diamond award has been discussed in the past. He wrote:

"I can't say for sure now, but if my memory serves me well, most of the references books (maybe somebody could confirm) were listing 27 persons to have received the Spanish Cross in Gold with Diamonds SINCE some years ago (Militaria Magazine - german issue) where von Thoma was added.
So, it seems we have a "special document" for an late added recipient.

Known recipients (for sure):

Olt. Wilhelm BALTHASAR
Hpt. Werner MÖLDERS
Olt. Otto BERTRAM
Hpt. Rudolf von MOREAU
Lt. Wilhelm BODDEM
Hpt. Wolfgang NEUDÖRFFER
Olt. Kraft EBERHARDT
Olt. Walter OESAU
Olt. Wilhelm ENSSLEN
Glt. Wolfram von RICHTHOFEN
Lt. Paul FEHLHABER
Lt. Heinz RUNZE
Olt. Adolf GALLAND
Hpt. Wolfgang SCHELLMANN
Hpt. Haro HARDER
Hpt. Joachim SCHLICHTING
Mjr. Martin HARLINGHAUSEN
Olt. Reinhard SEILER
Lt. Oskar HENRICI
Glt. Hugo SPERRLE
Olt. Max Graf HOYOS
Olt. Bernhard STÄRCKE
Olt. Hans Detlef von KESSEL
Hpt. Günther LÜTZOW
Glt. Helmut VOLKMANN
Obslt. Karl MEHNERT
Mjr. Karl-Heinz WOLFF

Some years ago, again if my memory serves me well, one name was added to the list - after the publication in Militaria magazine:

Obslt. Wilhelm Ritter von THOMA

You can take the conclusion you want

I will take another forum where you are use to post

http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/a...anish-cross.htm

They put 28 recipients, but only 27 are listed, guess who's name is missing?"

Well now the History books will ALL have to all be re-written because the following period photograph and caption accompanying it came from a newspaper reporting the story written by the Associated Press in May, 1939.
Attachments
condor, thoma and goring receiving scd.jpg
condor, thoma and goring receiving scd.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 1986 times

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

cose up of Göring and von Thoma

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 01:46

Here is a closer view of the news paper article photograph. The caption will follow next.
Attachments
condor legion - goring and von thoma.jpg
condor legion - goring and von thoma.jpg (163.02 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

caption as written

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 01:58

ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO FROM BERLIN.

"Fieldmarshall Goering decorates German Legionaries. New decorations in bronze, silver, gold and GOLD WITH JEWELS created by order of Adolf Hitler, were presented to the volunteers helped Franco to his victory in Spain, by Fieldmarshall Hermann Goering for the first time May 31, 1939. Associated Press photo shows Fieldmarshall Hermann Göring presenting the new decorations to some officers of the German volunteer fought in Spain, in Hamburg this afternoon May 31, 1939 ..BER/ROTH 51734 31.5.1939 ACC"

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

von Thoma's award document

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 02:16

Here is a photo of Thoma's presentation award document. Much discussion and disagreement about this document compared to the 27 Luftwaffe recipients became heated to say the least. I acknowledge that it is different than the others, but no information has surfaced as to why it is different. It was sold as part of the estate which comprised 92 items. The Hanseatisches Auktionshaus für Historica, Bad Oldesloe, Germany, a well known and respected firm, held a special auction on 29. November 1996 with military items from the estate of Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma. Some critics lean toward the theory that the document is a fake. I will give my opinions and that of Otto's, but remember, they are just opinions and are to hold no more creditability than that of any opinions.
Attachments
condor legion von thoma spanish cross with diamonds document.jpg
condor legion von thoma spanish cross with diamonds document.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

a Luftwaffe document like all others except von Thomas

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 02:25

Note the date and and name differences. This scan is credited to FORMAN'S GUIDE TO THIRD REICH GERMAN DOCUMENTS..AND THEIR VALUES, Volume 1, 1st Edition, page 9. The document and Spanish Cross was sold by Christies Auctons, London, who provided the phtograph to Mr. Forman.
Attachments
spanish cross with diamonds document from forman.jpg
spanish cross with diamonds document from forman.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

Bryan Poon

Post by Bryan Poon » 07 Aug 2002, 03:04

Thanks Bill for the information.

BP

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

two opinionsas to the difference in documents

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 03:11

Remember the date of the auctual awards of teh croses was on May 31, 1939. The date of the documents was 6. Juni 1939. The type of calligraphy is different in the way the date is written, 6.6. Juni. At this point in time NO information has been brought forth to answer why the documents are different. Below is an opinion from Otto:

"The answer to the document-question COULD be quite simple; ecapulating Von Thoma was the only non-Luftwaffe soldier who got this order, besides he got his document at a later date. After bestowing all the Luftwaffe members with such a prestigious award (and of course all the documents already made), could not someone -even Göring or Hitler himself- have thought; "S..., we have forgotten to bestow one on the commander of the famous Condor Tank Battalion." And thus have a new document made (quickly handwritten) and predated this document to the date of the Luftwaffe-bestowal. Things are happening this way as you and I will know, even at the German Ordenskanzlei. If the document was faked would
the faker of such a rare Urkunde not have made an elaborated and fantastic looking calligraphed document, instead of this mere handwriting? I my opinion this document's calligraphy add to the thought, that Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma was originally forgotten to be awarded this diamonds cross document at first."
Warm regards,
Otto"
My opinion is that the time from the actual date of the of the presentation of the awards (May 31, 1939) to June 6, 1939, a six day interval, Otto's opinion make sense. Von Thoma had his Spanish Cross with Diamonds six days before the document ceremony, most likely was wearing it soon after Goring handed it to him. Why then isn't it possible for von Thoma name to have been left off the list and at the last minute a replacement document was quickly and hand dated and named have been present to him?

Another logical observation to be considered is would it be practical to make a fake document, badge and uniform and include this in this special auction? (Oh yes, the critics are pointing their finger at the special Gold Condor Legion Panzer badge and uniform sold in the sale as being suspicious) That theory is a bit far fetched to even consider due to the family history of the items, the reputation of the auction house and the collecting world's attention at that sale.

Will we ever find out why von Thoma's document was different from the other 27? Probably not as I can say for a fact that no one had the slightest thouht that this document would be questions 62 years ago.

fighter ace

Post by fighter ace » 07 Aug 2002, 04:00

What are the chances it could be a replacement document?

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

a possibility

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 04:07

With no factual evidence available, your idea is just a feasable as any,

fighter ace

Post by fighter ace » 07 Aug 2002, 04:34

The more I think about it, I like your idea better. Oh s*&t, we forgot about Von Toma.Just because something is not the norm does not mean it's not real. To bad we can't find someone who owns his possessions.

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

The old saying does apply

Post by WCSTUMP » 07 Aug 2002, 04:48

The old saying goes. "S... happens".

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 07 Aug 2002, 22:27

William,

Thanks for that interesting info.

/Marcus

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

additional information needed

Post by WCSTUMP » 10 Aug 2002, 04:37

I am progressing quite well with my investigation into the life and times of Wihelm Ritter von Thoma. However I am in need of some assistance dealing with the rank the general was holding at the time of his capture and internment in a POW camp in Nov. of 1942. He was an Oberst at the end of the Spanish Civil War in 1939. He had been promoted to the rank of Brigadier General (Generalmajor) as of December of 1941. This date is recorded on this Knights Cross presentation document seen on this thread. When he was captured in North Africa in November, 1942 his past commands were listed as being assigned to the 17th Panzer Division in early 1942, and with the 21st Panzer Division, but no date was listed. He is acknowledged to have received the Knights Cross. His rank is listed in the records of the U. S. Army ORDER OF BATTLE OF THE GERMAN ARMY, March, 1945 edition as being a "General" which would be a Generaloberst in the German Army.

Does anyone have any other additional information that they can supply?

Raz

Post by Raz » 10 Aug 2002, 10:25

Greetings Bill

This might brighten up your day:

Source: Knights cross- German and axis armed forces 1939-45, Volume III by
David Lyne-Gordon, The military Press 1999. ISBN 0-85420-200-6

page 155
Attachments
thoma.jpg
© David Lyne-Gordon
thoma.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

von Thoma's records

Post by WCSTUMP » 10 Aug 2002, 18:09

RAZ:

Thanks for the information as it saved me quite a bit of time and verified his rank of General of Panzer. It also provides information that as late as 1999 errors in the exact types of awards he received has not been corrected. There is no mention of von Thoma receiving any class of the Spanish Cross.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”