Graves of Nuremberg Trials Defendants

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
lamguy

Graves of Nuremberg Trials Defendants

Post by lamguy » 05 Sep 2002, 15:29

I saw a post on the net about the ultimate whereabouts of Hitler's body which I have read before. What was new is that the author said that the Nuremberg trials defendents remains after they were executed (Jodl, Frank, keitel, Ribbentrop ect.) were cremated at a former concentration camp and scattered. This was done so their graves did not become a rallying point for a revamped nazi party. Also Goering took poison before they could execute him, was he cremated also? Finally Himmler also took poison anyone know what they did with his body? Most of these men had families and was wondering how they were treated as far as getting their husband's/father's remains. Thanks for any info.

Randy

Raf

Post by Raf » 05 Sep 2002, 15:48

Goering's body shared the same treatment as the ones who were executed. Hitler's body was burned, together with Eva Braun. The remaines were found by the Russians and I think they were taken to Moscou for examination. After that, of what I read, the Russians said they burned them to ashes.
I don't guarantee that all those facts are correct but thats is what I found out in several books.

Raymond
Banned

Re: Graves of Nuremberg Trials Defendants

Post by Raymond » 05 Sep 2002, 18:01

lamguy wrote:I saw a post on the net about the ultimate whereabouts of Hitler's body which I have read before. What was new is that the author said that the Nuremberg trials defendents remains after they were executed (Jodl, Frank, keitel, Ribbentrop ect.) were cremated at a former concentration camp and scattered. This was done so their graves did not become a rallying point for a revamped nazi party. Also Goering took poison before they could execute him, was he cremated also? Finally Himmler also took poison anyone know what they did with his body? Most of these men had families and was wondering how they were treated as far as getting their husband's/father's remains. Thanks for any info.

Randy

Himmler was buried at a still unknown location in the woods near Lüneburg in northern Germany. His grave has never been discovered since then.

Matt Gibbs

But

Post by Matt Gibbs » 05 Sep 2002, 18:10

If you read through, or even flick to the photo pages of The Unlikely Death of Heinrich Himmler you will see a picture of two of the burial detail who went to the gravesite :

Regards
Matt Gibbs

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 06 Sep 2002, 05:23

What about Albert Speer? Where is he buried or was he burned? Also do you think they will ever find the chicken farmers remains or is there any initaitive to find them?

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » 06 Sep 2002, 05:27

Matt-

Do you have those pictures handy by any chance?

-K

Navy Vet

Post by Navy Vet » 06 Sep 2002, 06:46

the chicken farmer
:lol:

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 06 Sep 2002, 06:58

Speer died in a London hotel in 80' , his body was returned to Germany and believe buried in the family tomb

Matt Gibbs

I will have

Post by Matt Gibbs » 06 Sep 2002, 08:51

When I am home I will look them up for ya ! It was in a wooded copse on the edge of Luneberg Heath, the body was exhumed at least once for a second post mortem to be carried out after the body was reputedly examined by Walter Schellenburg.

Regards
Matt Gibbs

prj453

Post by prj453 » 08 Sep 2002, 22:51

Speer is buried in the Bergfriedhof in Heidelberg. The remains of Rudolf Hess were returned to his family after his death in Spandau--there is a small photo of his grave in this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/886659.stm

-Patrick

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 11 Sep 2002, 22:46

Thats correct as I understand it. Just what was Jodl accused of again, was it something to do with ordering executions? I cant remeber what happened now....brain is dying slowly 8O

Geheime Feldpolizei

Locations of Dead Nazi Remains

Post by Geheime Feldpolizei » 12 Sep 2002, 01:51

Karl Doenitz is buried at Aumuehle (near Luebeck, I think). The remains of Martin Bormann, sentenced to death in absentia at Nuernberg, were found in Berlin in the early 1970s (1972?) and positively identified. I believe it was many years later, perhaps in the 1980s, that the German Government finally cremated and disposed of his ashes by scattering them over the Baltic Sea. I read a brief article about this in Der Spiegel or Stern several years ago. If interested, Newsweek or Time might have picked up on the story (in the event that you do not read German). Rudolf Hess is buried at Wunsiedel, near the Czech border. In August of each year, the town is inundated with neo-Nazis gathering to commemorate Hess' death. Although not a defendant at Nuernberg, Josef Mengele's remains apparently still reside in the custody of the State's Attorney's office in Embu, Brazil. The Mengele family has not bothered to claim them.

Anyone aware of where the following are interred: Karl Wolff, Wilhelm Hoettl, Walter Schellenberg, Walter Hewel?

dwseiple

Grave Of Albert Speer

Post by dwseiple » 12 Sep 2002, 02:58

While I was in Heidelberg in 1994, I went to the cemetery where Albert Speer is buried. I asked numerous people where he was buried, but each person claimed to have no idea where his plot was. Finally I met a man in his 50's who was more than pleased to show me where he was buried. Albert is in a nice little family plot. However, the metal nameplate "Speer" has been removed to discourage people like me from visiting.

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 12 Sep 2002, 06:36

It said Albert but not Speer?

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 13 Sep 2002, 02:24

Try this site:
http://www.findagrave.com

It has the gravesites of many famous people.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”