Luftwaffe Major Baumhauer (CO of sole eastern Lw-FeldBtl)

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Michi

Post by Michi » 01 Dec 2005, 16:18

Do you have their Feldpostnummern or any information about them? #6 may be either the predecessor of 1. Ost-Flieger-St. (russ.) or an unofficial name for one of the Staffeln belonging to Fliegergruppe z.b.V. 7 (later Fliegergeschwader z.b.V. 7), which operated mostly in Belorussia.
The leichte Anti-Partisanen-Staffel had 9 U2 at its strength. This was the only eastern Luftwaffe where some members deserted (without an aircraft) to the partisans into the woods of Belorussia.
But #3 leaves me scratching my head. It sound like a Kompanie of former VVS personnel rounded up by Luftflotte 6 to repair and salvage Soviet aircraft or perhaps radio and other technical equipment that had been captured by the Germans. What do you think?
Could be, first I thought they were a kind of Werft/yard.

I have found a different Eastern flying-unit within the Luftwaffe.
At least Major Filatow, Hauptmann Ripušinskij, Leutnant Pljuščew were pilots in the first ever eastern flying squadron from end of August 1942 and was active till February 1943.
Major Filatow acted as squadron leader.
This squadron was found in Osinowka/Osintorf in the near of Orša.

MfG Michi

PS: Do you have any infos on the 1. Ostfliegerstaffel?
Who was the Commanding Officer???

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 01 Dec 2005, 23:46

Thanks for the additional information, Michi.

Here is what I have on the 1. Ostfliegerstaffel. I do not have the name of the Staffelkapitän.

1. Ostfliegerstaffel

Formed mid-summer 1943 at Ostrov/50 km S of Pskov on the northern sector of the Russian Front, with Go 145s, Ar 66s, and Russian Po-2s, as a night harassment squadron (Nachtschlachtstaffel); initially designated 1. Freiw.Staffel ROA, and then as above from October 1943; the personnel were Soviet Air Force deserters and Russian volunteers taken from the PoW camps; replacement personnel were drawn from Ost-Flieger-Erg.Staffel/Erg.Nachtschlachtgruppe Ostland, which was based at Liepaja (Libau) in Latvia; operating under 3.Fliegerdivision, transferred to Daugavpils-West in Latvia Nov 43, and remained there until Mar 44 when it was ordered to Lida/180 km W of Minsk and reassigned to Fliegerführer 1/Luftflotte 6; disbanded at Lida in early Jul 44 and personnel sent to Ost-Flieger-Erg.Staffel and/or Fliegergruppe Holters; the Staffel flew at least 500 combat sorties during its relatively brief existence and is noteworthy in being the first experiment by the Germans to form an all-Russian air unit.
FpN: L 50374 (entered 28 Jan 44, deleted 19 act 44)

[Sources: Kannapin; Hoffmann – Vlasov; Dierich – Verbände der Luftwaffe; Karl Ries - Photo-Collection of Luftwaffe Emblemes, p.163; BA-MA Freiburg: Signatur RL 40/Kart; NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-311 roll 228/491; other microfilm documents].

--Larry

Michi

Post by Michi » 02 Dec 2005, 00:47

1. Ostfliegerstaffel is noteworthy in being the first experiment (mid-summer 1943) by the Germans to form an all-Russian air unit.
That's not correct!!
I have found a different Eastern flying-unit within the Luftwaffe.
At least Major Filatow, Hauptmann Ripušinskij, Leutnant Pljuščew were pilots in the first ever eastern flying squadron from end of August 1942 and was active till February 1943.
Major Filatow acted as squadron leader.
This squadron was found in Osinowka/Osintorf in the near of Orša.
Did you ever hear about the names of???:
Filatow/Filatov
Ripušinskij/Ripushinsky
Pljuščew(-Wlasenko), Boris P. was later personal Aide-de-Camp of GenMjr (ROA) Mal'cew.

MfG Michi

PS:
My source:
Hoffmann, Joachim. Die Geschichte der Wlassow-Armee.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 02 Dec 2005, 18:55

That's not correct!!
....the first ever eastern flying squadron from end of August 1942 and was active till February 1943.
Did this earlier unit you are referring to have a name or a number or a Feldpostnummer? It sounds to me like it was never formally recognized by the Organisations-Abt./Generalstab der Luftwaffe as a bonafide unit.
Did you ever hear about the names of???:
Filatow/Filatov
Ripušinskij/Ripushinsky
Pljuščew(-Wlasenko), Boris P. was later personal Aide-de-Camp of GenMjr (ROA) Mal'cew.
Not that I can recall, but they are probably mentioned in the Joachim Hoffmann book on Wlasow.

Michi

Post by Michi » 02 Dec 2005, 22:13

Not that I can recall, but they are probably mentioned in the Joachim Hoffmann book on Wlasow.
PS:
My source:
Hoffmann, Joachim. Die Geschichte der Wlassow-Armee.
:lol: :wink: :lol:

MfG Michi

mattyboy

Re: Luftwaffe Major BAUMHAUER (CO of sole eastern Lw-FeldBtl)

Post by mattyboy » 10 Sep 2016, 01:33

Hi all,
Does anyone still have this photo of Friedrich Baumhauer? I would like to see if he is wearing the WW1 observer badge, as he might be the Ltn Baumhauer who served in Flieger-Abt 244 in 1917.

Thanks & Regards,
Matt

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”