Knights Cross Holder Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svenson

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
philwayne

Knights Cross Holder Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svenson

Post by philwayne » 16 Oct 2002, 16:42

Knights Cross Holder Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svenson passed away at 5:00AM 16-October-2002 at a nursing home in Maryland, USA. He was formerly Lt. Eberhard Schmalz of Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 1102, 102. Infanterie Division.
I knew him for over ten years as a fine and honorable man. He did much for the advancement of science and at one point worked on the first stage of the Saturn V program.

Ich hatte einen Kameraden,
Philip Logan

The Desert Fox

Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svenson

Post by The Desert Fox » 18 Oct 2002, 17:10

Sorry to hear of a passing of a friend, Philip Logan. How old was Hardy Svenson and what do you know of his military career? Its interesting to be able to talk to old veterans, no matter on what side they fought.

Interesting question might be how many Knights Cross winners are still alive?

regards
The Desert Fox

philwayne

Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svesnon

Post by philwayne » 18 Oct 2002, 19:27

Hi!

Hardy was 83 years-old. His birth name was "Eberhard Schmalz" Hardy started out in the 2. company Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 43, 8. Panzer Division from 1937 til 1942. He recieved the Deutsches Cross i. Gold on the Don bend when he shot up 9 Russian tanks with a Marder III. Later, he went to an Oficiers course and became a lieutenant. He commanded a Stug III platoon in the 5th Jäger for a few months and lastly a Stug III platoon with the 102nd Infantry division from 1944 to 1945. He was wounded several times the last being when his kubelwagen was strafed by an IL-2. On March 3, 1945 he received the Knights Cross.

After the war he worked as an engineer in Brazil and finally the USA.

Phil
Attachments
hardy.jpg
Eberhard Schmalz at the Officer cadet course 1943.
hardy.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 1850 times

The Desert Fox

How did you make his acquaitance?

Post by The Desert Fox » 22 Oct 2002, 16:38

How did you come to make his acquaitance?

regard
The Desert Fox

Gastolli

Re: Knights Cross Holder Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy C. Svenson

Post by Gastolli » 13 Aug 2017, 10:08

Hello,

according to an document from German Bundesarchiv Leutnant d. Res. Schmalz was wounded on 04.03.1945. His 2nd Company no longer in existence on March 15th, the remaining two officers of his company where send to "Jagdpanzer-Kompanie 406".

see separate thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=230123

Oliver

Todd Wesley

Re: Knights Cross Holder Eberhard Schmalz alias Hardy Svenson

Post by Todd Wesley » 17 Feb 2018, 11:22

Thanks for the write up Phil.

I still have a picture of Hardy from our picnic. I am so glad I got to meet him. He was truly a fine gentleman and it was an honor.

Thanks for bringing him out to spend that day with us.

When I last lived in Germany (2001-2002) I had the honor of a long private meeting with Artur Becker-Neetz. He brought his RK and allowed my wife to take pictures of me holding it. He was also a truly outstanding man. We corresponded a bit afterwards but I'm ashamed to admit I let it trail off. I just recently found out he passed away in late 2016 (!) He was 95 years old. I really wish I had kept in better touch with him as we could have had a very long friendship.

Todd

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”