Languages that persons of the Axis spoke

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
DavidFrankenberg

Re: Languages that persons of the Axis spoke

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 10 Apr 2019, 23:05

Pax Melmacia wrote:
18 Jun 2009, 08:35
Hermann Göring spoke English
Ah! That answers something I'd wondered about after seeing Nuremberg(?), when HG supposedly befriended a GI private, whom, I am guessing, spoke only English. I first thought it was artistic license. (In Spandau prison, at least, the prisoners were forbidden to speak anything but German.)

Baldur von Schirach kept a diary that had been indecipherable for a time, until someone realized it was English written in German schrift!

I wonder if Adolf Galland spoke at least some Spanish, both from his stint in the Spanish Civil War and then after WW2 when he was a trainer for the Argentine Air Force (who would go on to use Galland's lessons to face his old foes, the British in the Falklands War).
What became that diary ?

Nautilus

Re: Languages that persons of the Axis spoke

Post by Nautilus » 06 Jun 2021, 00:21

According to his secretary Christa Schroeder He Was My Chief: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Secretary (2009), Chapter 3, the Führer understood French and English and might have spoken (very poorly) either, but he avoided obstinately to speak anything else than German in public.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”