Obscure Axis combat units of WW2

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
SergioDV

Re: Obscure Axis combat units of WW2

Post by SergioDV » 04 Jul 2010, 16:52

Looking for a really obscure axis combat unit? Try the Partisanen-Jager-Abteilung. I found the name of this unit on Tessin books and asked for more information here in the forum but no one was able to tell me something more.
----

Yes, I'm just 27 years old.

SvenHassel.

Post by SvenHassel. » 07 Oct 2011, 08:59

I am sure that German army used many 'Strafbattalion' in WW2.Strafbattalion were Wehrmacht penal units created from military prisoners during the final years of the Second World War. Soldiers sentenced to these units were poorly-armed and required to undertake dangerous high-casualty missions. Strafbattalion were operated and administered by the German military police.These Strafbattalione, which where under the control of the Feldgendarmerie, were then used to conduct dangerous operations (sometimes akin to suicide missions) for the Heer such as clearing minefields, assaulting difficult objectives and defending positions against overwhelming attacking forces. They were also made to do hard manual labor in front-line locations building and repairing military infrastructure and defences. Russians had them also only they were called Shtrafbat. That shows why most of the jails in Germany and Soviet Russia were empty at the time of War.

Graham Clayton

Post by Graham Clayton » 27 Apr 2012, 12:13

pavle wrote:And how about the Hungarian(paramilitary) Vannay battalion made up of municipal workers(Budapest locals)??
pavle,

The Vanny battalion was raised from scratch from October 1944 by Lt. Col Laszlo Vannay, and consisted of firefighters, sewer workers, postal workers and other municipal workers. Their knowledge of tunnels and culverts would be indispensable in urban/city fighting. It was officially named the "Hungarian Royal Vannay Flying Squad Battalion" on the 22nd of December, 1944. The unit worked on an "uncle system", where a teenager was attached to two men over 35 years of age, who trained them. To get food and supplies, Vannay took several businesses into "protective custody". The Vanny Battalion had its own security section of approximately 10 men, commanded by Captain Ferenc Gyulay-Molnar, whose task was to execute captured deserters and Soviet soldiers caught in civilian clothes."

Krisztián Ungváry, John Lukacs, Ladislaus Löb, "The Siege of Budapest: One Hundred Days in World War II", Yale University Press, 2006, p. 104-105.
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 27 Oct 2012, 06:38

Gentlemen,

The Marineeinsatzkommandos (MEKs)of Germany. They were German Naval Sabotage Units that carry important tasks like raiding harbors,destroying bridges,railroads,etc. A lots of these missions were pretty secret and unknown.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Graham Clayton

Post by Graham Clayton » 31 Dec 2012, 10:05

Lituanische Freiwilligen Infanterie Regimenter ((Lithuanian Volunteer Infantry Regiments). Three such regiments fought against the Soviet advance into Lithuania in late 1944/early 1945.
"Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, in land, and in the air." - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 31 Dec 2012, 15:12

G.C. -

You evidently have the book you cited (Krisztián Ungváry, John Lukacs, Ladislaus Löb, The Siege of Budapest: One Hundred Days in World War II, Yale University Press, 2006, p. 104-105.), so I am hoping you can answer a question. Does this work comprehensively identify the Luftwaffe Bodenorganisation units (non-flying, i.e., servicing and maintenance units, signals, Flak, etc.) that were on the 3 or 4 Budapest airfields on the outskirts of the city Nov 44 - Feb 45? I would be interested in knowing this before investing in the book. Thanks.

L.

Graham Clayton

Post by Graham Clayton » 31 Dec 2012, 22:35

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately I don't have the book - I found the extract I quoted from a search on Google books.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 01 Jan 2013, 17:52

O.K. Graham, thanks for replying.

Sarek

Post by Sarek » 04 Feb 2013, 23:54

Dear Larry
I have got:
Battle of Budapest One Hundred Days in World War II, Krisztián Ungváry, translated by Ladislaus Löb Published in 2003 by I.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
There is no information of the Luftwaffe Bodenorganisation units inside or outside of the siege.
Sorry

Yours truly,
Sarek

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 05 Feb 2013, 02:21

Thank you very much for replying, Sarek. It was a long-shot, but one can always hope.

Larry :)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”