When did the Waffen SS lose most of its original members in combat?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Forward00

When did the Waffen SS lose most of its original members in combat?

Postby Forward00 » 08 Apr 2017 21:06

What year or time period did the majority of volunteers (those who joined in 1933 right up to the end 1940) from these divisions - Leibstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Polizei and Wiking lose their lives in battle?
By the end of 1944 I assume that hardly any of the original members were serving? Did they lose a lot of men in certain encounters?

pintere

Re: When did the Waffen SS lose most of its original members in combat?

Postby pintere » 10 Apr 2017 15:13

Forward00 wrote:What year or time period did the majority of volunteers (those who joined in 1933 right up to the end 1940) from these divisions - Leibstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Polizei and Wiking lose their lives in battle?
By the end of 1944 I assume that hardly any of the original members were serving? Did they lose a lot of men in certain encounters?

The Totenkopf division suffered particularly heavy losses during Operation Barbarossa and later the Demyansk pocket. Though they produced impressive results they paid a very heavy price in blood.

For example, around 10 July 1941, just a few weeks after Barbarossa began, the division completely dissolved one of its regiments (SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment 2) due to high losses. By the beginning of December of that year they had lost about 9,000 men since the start of Barbarossa. By March 20th they had lost 12,625 men since the start of Barbarossa. By the end of July 1942 the remaining Kampfgruppen of the division had less than 3,000 men left altogether, and by the time they were finally evacuated from the pocket to be reconstituted, the division had suffered over 80% casualties in all of its combat elements and had less than 2,000 men remaining.

So although I can't speak for the other divisions right away, I hope this answers your question in regards to Totenkopf.

Sid Guttridge

Postby Sid Guttridge » 21 Apr 2017 14:24

I would imagine that it was during 1941-1942 in the USSR. The losses of 1st, 2nd and 3rd W-SS divisions were so heavy that all were withdrawn to France to rebuild in the third quarter of 1942 and completely missed the turning point of the war.

Cheers,

Sid.

Forward00

Postby Forward00 » 24 Apr 2017 07:36

What percentage from the first 3 divisions who joined from 1933 to the end 1940 would have lived to see the end of 1944? Would you say even 5% is high?

Sid Guttridge

Postby Sid Guttridge » 24 Apr 2017 12:51

Hi Forward,

5% is far too low. I would guess it would probably be around half. Remember, most casualties were wounded, not killed, and a certain percentage never became casualties at all.

Cheers,

Sid.

Forward00

Postby Forward00 » 27 Apr 2017 15:51

Sid Guttridge wrote:Hi Forward,

5% is far too low. I would guess it would probably be around half. Remember, most casualties were wounded, not killed, and a certain percentage never became casualties at all.

Cheers,

Sid.

So it is fair to say that 40-50% of 'original members' those who joined from 1933-1940, survived to the end of 1944?

I honestly thought it would of been a single digit percentage!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”