Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Laurence Strong
Financial supporter

Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Postby Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017 00:16

Hi All

I'm in a discussion with a fella and he is stating that "Großdeutschland battalions had twice the number of MMGs and medium mortars of a standard motorized rifle battalion." Is this correct?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Larry

Gary Kennedy

Re: Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Postby Gary Kennedy » 13 Oct 2017 01:20

Sort of depends when you're talking about.

The Feb 1941 KStN for the GD MG Company was the usual 6x 8-cm mortars and 12 HMGs, while the Rifle Coys look to have been on 12 LMG and 2 HMG each for early 1941. When the Rifle Coys went onto the PzGren model (early 1942ish?) this increased to 18 LMGs, 4 HMGs and 2x 8-cm mortars per Coy, while the MG Coy was also retained. So, if fully equipped and staffed, they would have 24 HMG and 12x 8-cm mortars per motorised Bn. I understand that LAH had the same organisation as well. GD lost their MG Coys in early 1944 I think so it was a relatively short timeframe for them to have the increased allocation.

Gary

Laurence Strong
Financial supporter

Postby Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017 02:05

Hello Gary

Thanks for the reply. Yes we were talking the 41/42 period.

Appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

Learnt something new today.

Cheers
Larry

Laurence Strong
Financial supporter

Postby Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017 18:45

Not sure what you mean about the HMGs and mortars being added to the companies themselves not the heavy weapons platoons - in GD the heavy weapons platoons were in the rifle companies (fourth platoon)

As I am well outside my firing arcs when it comes to OOB's I am not sure whether this is correct or not!!

Is there a link for this and other GD KStN's? "Feb 1941 KStN for the GD MG Company"

Again thanks for the help

Cheers
Larry

Gary Kennedy

Postby Gary Kennedy » 14 Oct 2017 13:41

The GD Regt MG Coy KStN can be seen here;

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1621feb41.htm

Unfortunately the pre-war series of tables specific to the Regt went to the great shredder in the sky a long time ago it seems. The various gliederung charts I've seen for the Regt in the early years of the war give a few clues, but nothing detailed. Re the quote above, HMGs and 8-cm mortars were generally formed into a specific Heavy Platoon within the Company in the PzGren organisations of late 1941 to late 1944.

Gary

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”