How do you see Waffen-SS veterans?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Yuri

Re: How do you see Waffen-SS veterans?

Post by Yuri » 21 Sep 2019 14:45

Hindi Ivan commander of the 1st corps (Hungary).
500-12480-35 pp.70-78 (9 pages)
p.70
I_AK(hun) Hindi Ivan.jpg
The abdication of Regent Horthy
500-12480-80 pp.183-184 (2 pages)
HORTHY2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 21 Sep 2019 18:35

Yuri wrote:
21 Sep 2019 14:35
Peter89 wrote:
21 Sep 2019 10:39
I think you refer to Karl Pfeffer-Wildenbruch, but he was wounded and captured during the breakout attempt from Budapest.

My grandpa was conscripted into the 37th SS Cavarly Division, but I think its initial commander Waldemar Fegelein (a former commander in the 8th SS Cavarly Division) had little impact on what was going on. The main perpetrators were the Organisationsabteilung of the Kommandoamt der Waffen-SS, and the hungarist / nazi Szálasi regime.

I can understand Russian, so if you have a Russian source, that's fine for me.
Yes, Karl Pfeffer-Wildenbruch he was Chef of the Organisationsabteilung of the Kommandoamt der Waffen-SS in Hungary. Commander SS-IX Corps he was appointed when it began the battle for Budapest.
500-12480-35 pp.48-57 (10 pages)
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/pages/165795/zooms/8
p.48
SS-IX Pfeffer-Wildenburch Karl.jpg
ObrstLt Lindenau Gustav - SS-IX Chief of staff.
500-12480-35 pp.58-69 (12 pages)
p.58
SS-IX Lindenau Gustaw.jpg
Wow that was new information for me Yuri. Thanks!

Georg_S

Post by Georg_S » 23 Sep 2019 19:21

Pascal. Kullmann. wrote:
17 Aug 2019 13:03
Thank you all for these responses!! :) :)
Another question:
Did veterans shared any story with you that made you emotional?
:)

I havent seen this thread for a while, and answer your question yes many Times almost every time that included how they saw their best friend died or similiar. Or in some cases was treated after the war.

One case I remember Very well was H. Herold (1./SS-AA2) told me in some battles in Russia and when they during a attack His childhood friend who enlisted together with him came running beside him, as they approached the enemy His friend was in front of him and got decapitated by shrapnel or similiar.
The old veteran even 60 years after the war got Tears in His eyes talking about that, as well did I . I feelt Very sorry for him.

I also got Very emotionall when Walter Gerth (Rk Holder) talked about the war graves in Demjansk and especially how they today got digged Up for souvenirs , since then I have it Very difficult to see "battle finds" in My opinion Grave looters.
I miss many of them as I talked/ wrote a lot and considered Them as My Friends.

Best regards
Georg
Waffen-SS, SS-TV, KZ/KL SS-Pz.A.A.
- http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/

Carlus

Post by Carlus » 08 Oct 2019 14:53

That's a really problematic issue, especially for what concern memory and national history in countries like Baltic States, as far as I know in Latvia the old Waffen SS veterans are still glorified as heroes who only fought bolsheviks in the name of the Country's independence. I guess a similar speech could be made for Western Ukraine and Galicia.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 18 Oct 2019 14:18

Hi Carlus,

Yes.

The various Eastern European nationalist units and formations of the W-SS were not interested in Nazi ideology, just in asserting their national identity against the Soviet Union. From 1943 the only avenue for this was through the Waffen-SS. Even then, most Latvians and Estonians had to be conscripted, because Germany was already clearly losing the war.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”