What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Yuri

Re: What percent of Ostfront losses were German?

Post by Yuri » 16 Mar 2020, 13:28

For official use

Protocol No. 75
Interrogation of soldiers of the 11th company of the 3rd Estonian Infantry Battalion captured near the village of Shartovo 9.3.44 /3640/:
Killter Ilmar,
Wapre Il'yus,
Val'yare Helmut and
Har'yurand Johann.
====================================================
The interrogation was conducted by the Head of the Intelligence Department
investigation Department - captain Esaulov.
Translated By: Lieutenant Brus.

Command post of the 42nd Army headquarters.

The installation data.
1/. Killter Illmar was born in 1910 in Estonia, a worker in a yeast factory located in the Ropla district, with a salary of 90 marks per month. Graduated from 3 classes. Mobilized 19.2.1944.
2/. Wapre Il'yus was born in 1922, Estonian, peasant, education of 7 classes. Mobilized 11.2.1944.
3/. Val'yare Helmut born in 1918, Estonian, worker-a carpenter. Graduated from 6 classes. Mobilized 14.2.1944.
4/. Har'yrand Johann was born in 1912, Estonian, working at a local factory in Arda. Earnings of 60 marks. Graduated from the 4th grade. Mobilized 14.2.1944.

The circumstances of their captivity.
On the night of 9.3.44, a group of 4 men and one corporal was assigned the task of checking the posts posted by the 11th company on the lake near the village of Shartovo. At the entrance to the Pskov lake, three men were seen in the reeds, whom the corporal called out in Estonian, seeing that they did not stop, called them in German and gave a shot up.
At this time, from the other side opened fire, and we lay down on the ice and did not shoot. When the Russians came up, the corporal stood up, was fired at with a machine gun and killed, and we surrendered without resistance.

Organization and actions of the 3rd Estonian Infantry Battalion.
The 3rd Estonian infantry battalion was formed on 15.2.1944 in Razeperi from mobilized Estonians. 6.3.44 the battalion arrived in Verska. On the same day, the 11th company made from Versa and arrived in Shartowo, succeeding there is a the German unit of the number which we don't know. By the end of 7.3.44, German units had withdrawn from Shartovo in the direction of Petseri and Pskov.
A small group of the German soldiers remained in Shartovo, the size of which we do not know.
In the 3rd Estonian Infantry Battalion there are four rifle companies /9, 10,11,12/, in the company there are four platoons of 30 people. In total, the company has 110-120 people. In Companies no wagon. Each platoon has one Russian manual machine gun. The soldiers are armed with the Russian rifles. Unter-officers and officers have pistols. For each hand-held machine gun there are 1000 cartridges, for a rifle-160 cartridges.

Intentions.
The Estonian Infantry Battalion is assigned the task of defending the Western coast of lake Pskov and keeping the Russians out.

Officer personnel.
There are two officers in the company, and the platoons are commanded by unter-officers.
The battalion commander is major Imper.
The company commander is a Lieutenant whose last name we don't know.
The platoon commander is unter-officer Parn.

V a r i o u s. In Estonia, since 11.2.44, the entire male population has been mobilized from 1884 to 1926 inclusive. All persons up to forty years of age are called up to combat units, and from 40 to 60 years of age are included in self–protection units. We know that there are four Estonian Infantry Battalions. 1st and 2nd - are located in the Tallinn district and 4th - in the Narva district.

C o n c l u s i o n:
1/. The testimony of prisoners is established:
a/. The action of the 11th company of the 3rd Estonian Infantry Battalion district Shartowo.
b/. Organization and composition of the 3rd Estonian Infantry Battalion.
c/. The task facing the battalion to protect the Western coast of lake Pskov.
2/. It is worth noting the testimony of prisoners of war about the mobilization of the population in Estonia from 1884 to 1926.

Chief of the Intelligence Department of the 42nd Army staff
Lieutenant Colonel - Terletsky.

Right –
Senior Lieutenant (signature) /Jerusalem/

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 17 Mar 2020, 18:40

Territories where universal military service was declared, and territories where men with German blood were conscripted into the German armed forces
Die_großzügigste_Umsiedlungsaktion_with_Poland_superimposed_1939_.jpg
If I understand correctly, the inscription in German reads something like this:
After an 18-day campaign, the largest (extensive) resettlement campaign in world history to date began. All the tribesmen who performed their duties outside, the Fuhrer called back to the homeland of their ancestors. Now they are helping to expand and strengthen the Great German Empire. In particular, during the construction of the Warte region (Gau), your colonization abilities will be effective.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2020, 14:38

Information about the mobilization of the male population of Estonia in the armed forces of the German Reich , as well as about the formations and units, is contained in the trophy documents. Here, for example, is an analysis of the documents of the 7th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment "SS" (compiled in the intelligence Department of the headquarters of the 8th Army of the Red Army). I present the first and last (7th) pages.
2EstBordReg_01_07.jpg
It contains a lot of interesting information, but I only translate what concerns the mobilization of the Estonian population, the structure and actions of the Estonian border regiments.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2020, 14:52

Information (Reference) №
According to the captured documents of the destroyed command post of the 7th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment
seized 2.8.44 in the area 2.5 km South of Lally.

The study found:

1. Information about the 2nd Estonian border regiment "SS»:

The regiment was formed in February 1944 from persons called up for mobilization 10.2.44.
Personnel before joining the regiment were in the 1st reserve Estonian regiment in Reola / near Tartu/. At the end of the formation, the 2nd Estonian border regiment was sent to the Western coast of lake Chudskoe, where it was subordinated to the 207th Security Division, which was part of the L.AK of the Northern Army Group, together with the 3rd Estonian border regiment.

In the 20th days of March 1944, where the regiment was subordinate to the 58nd ID, which was part of the XXVI. AK.

In the second half of May, the 2nd Estonian border regiment was transferred to the Northern coast of lake Chudskoe, and from 25.5 to 11.7 it operated under the 227th ID, which was part of the Narva Army Group. /at 12.6, the 227th ID in the Narva direction operated as part of the 328th, 366th IR, 227th AR, 227th Fusilier battalion, 227th Pz.Jg.Abt. To the Division was assigned the 2nd and 3rd Estonian border regiments " SS " - " special supply order for the 227th ID of 12.6.44/.

25.5.44 the headquarters of the 1st battalion, 2nd Estonian border regiment was in the area Renku, the headquarters of the 3rd battalion was still on Prodinsa area, the 2nd battalion had been subordinated to the combat group of Colonel Refior / commander 328.IR/.

On 21.6.44, the 3rd battalion of the 2nd Estonian border regiment "SS" interacted with I./IR.391 of the 170th ID, the wagons were located in the Dobrin-Metsavakht area.

At 11.7.44, the 7th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment obey to the commander of the IR.366.

During the action of the 2nd Estonian border regiment on the coast of lake Chudskoe, in early March 1944, "hunting teams" were organized in the battalions to fight partisans. From each company was assigned 13 men, mostly volunteers.
The personnel of the hunting teams received improved nutrition.

2. Organization:

The 2nd Estonian border regiment "SS" consists of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd battalions, a sapper company, and a staff company. The battalions consist of four companies. In addition, the battalion has a AT platoon, a mortar platoon, and a communications team.
Companies in the battalion are of the same type.

In February 1944, it was planned to form companies, according to the staff of the German army's security companies /OoB of November 43, No. 289-a/. For this OoB, the company consisted of a control group, 3 rifle platoons /three branches/ and one platoon of heavy weapons /a section of machine guns and a section of 81 mm mortars/.

Company staff: 2 officers, 24 unter-officers, 137 soldiers. A total of 163 people.
As of mid-February 1944, the 7th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment "SS" numbered 168 men, including: 3 lieutenants, 1 Feldwebel, 27 unter-officers, 15 corporal and 122 privates men.

Combat personnel of the 7th company at 26.3: 1 officer, 13 unter-officers, 92 privates.

On 19.6.44 the list of 146 people, combat personnel: 1 officer, 12 unter-officers, 58 privates men. A total of 67 people. In the Seconded - 8, in the hospital- 25, deserters- 27, on leave- 11, in the wagon train- 8 people.

The number of companies on 27.7.44 – 78 people, including: 1 officer, 15 unter-officers, 53 privates /combat personnel/ and 9 people in the wagon train.

At 28.7.44, the 7th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment “SS” had 1 officer, 9 unter-officers and 34 privates men. A total of 44 people.

3. Age structure of the 7th company at 7.4.44:

1903 and older- 1; 1904-1908- 63; 1909 -1913 – 52; 1914-1918 – 26; 1919-1923 – 3.
A total of 145 people.

4. Losses:

From 22.4.44 to 16.5.44 in the fighting in the area of Prutki: killed- 17, wounded- 89, missing- 4 /note of the Intelligence Department- three of the missing our intelligence searches seized documents, one captured/.

For 18.5.44 the regiment in the area of Prutki lost 13 people irrevocably /including: two missing captured by our intelligence searches, two went over to the Red Army- soldiers of the 8th company of the 2nd Estonian border regiment " SS " Miney Kartotelev, Semyon Samsonov/.

Head of the 2nd branch of the intelligence Department of the 8th Army headquarters
Major (signed) /Karetnikov/
Translated by: Acting chief of the investigative unit senior Lieutenant / Filaretov/
Military translator the senior Lieutenant /Ladusew/.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2020, 15:10

In the beginning, the Estonian border regiments were subordinated to the Army (Heeres), but in April 1944 these units, as well as the Estonian construction battalions, were subordinated to the SS.
The 300th special purpose division was created out of four Estonian border regiments.
Translation of the call signs of the 300th special division.
300DzV_DeckNameList_44-07-29.jpg

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2020, 16:31

The formation of land units from the population of the occupied territories of the USSR under the auspices of the SS allowed all men to be conscripted, including Great Russians and people of other nationalities who did not live in the occupied territories until August 23, 1939.
At the same time, when conscripting men from the occupied territories of the USSR in the Lutwaffe, they were counted under the category of "Foreign soldiers" - " Ausländischen Soldaten“
Auslander_in_LwFlakAbt.jpg
Great Russians, as well as citizens of the USSR who did not live in the occupied territory until August 23, 1939, were classified as "Auxiliary Russians" - "Behelsrussen".
Russen_in_LwFlakAbt.jpg

modelbouw nederland

Re: What percent of ostfront losses were German?

Post by modelbouw nederland » 29 Mar 2020, 20:02

Richard Anderson wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:54
modelbouw nederland wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 13:34
What does Kia mean?
It means "don't feed the troll".
Well, I don't even know what that means. I thought it was just a regular question. Is that why so few members answer on my posts and/or questions?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 29 Mar 2020, 21:02

29 Mar 2020, 20:02
Richard Anderson wrote:
What does Kia mean?
Well, I don't even know what that means. I thought it was just a regular question. Is that why so few members answer on my posts and/or questions?
You were not the troll; mustang19 is a troll. I was telling you not to bother replying or asking questions of it.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

modelbouw nederland

Post by modelbouw nederland » 31 Mar 2020, 18:25

Richard Anderson wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 21:02
Richard Anderson wrote:
What does Kia mean?
You were not the troll; mustang19 is a troll. I was telling you not to bother replying or asking questions of it.
Well, next time it would be very handy if you did put some names or other detailed information in it. Then it is more clear to me what you mean.
And I still not get it fully what you are wanting to say. Keep in mind that I'm online after months off in-activeness. So have to get into this again more or less. Plus, don't always have the time to get on here.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 31 Mar 2020, 18:34

31 Mar 2020, 18:25
Richard Anderson wrote:
Richard Anderson wrote:
What does Kia mean?
Well, next time it would be very handy if you did put some names or other detailed information in it. Then it is more clear to me what you mean.
And I still not get it fully what you are wanting to say. Keep in mind that I'm online after months off in-activeness. So have to get into this again more or less. Plus, don't always have the time to get on here.
I'll try to remember that the next time I warn you against wasting your time participating in a troll fest.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

modelbouw nederland

Post by modelbouw nederland » 31 Mar 2020, 18:36

Richard Anderson wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 18:34
31 Mar 2020, 18:25
Richard Anderson wrote:
Richard Anderson wrote:

I'll try to remember that the next time I warn you against wasting your time participating in a troll fest.
I don't even know what a 'trollfest' is.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 31 Mar 2020, 19:41

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 05 Apr 2020, 16:01

Previously, the size of the territory and population under the rule of the German Reich as of June 22, 1941 were indicated: 841,116 square kilometers and 111,732,400 people.
On September 1, 1941, changes occurred.
41-09-01 RKO_WBO_1-2.jpg
41-09-01 RKO_WBO_3-4.jpg
In the occupied territory of the USSR, two Reichs-Kommissariats were formed: RK-Ostland with the center in the city Riga and RK-Ukraine with the center in the city Rovno.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 05 Apr 2020, 16:04

In these new Reichs-Kommissariats two Military District (WehrKreis) was formed: WK-Ostland and WK-Ukraine.
WBO_RK-Ostland(LageOst2Sep41_lg).jpg
At the same time, two regions were allocated from the occupied territories:
from the territory of the Belarusian SSR - Bezirk Bialystok, which was annexed to East Prussia;
from the territory of the Ukrainian SSR - Distrikt Lemberg, which was annexed to the General Government.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 05 Apr 2020, 16:08

The territory under rule of the German Reich is shown in the school Atlas for 1943.
GD-als-Lebenraum.jpg

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”