Front Aufklärungs Kommando

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
dan_pol12

Re: Front Aufklärungs Kommando

Post by dan_pol12 » 14 Nov 2020 16:03

Hi Robert,

The Soldbuch has entered 19 Close Combat days entered for a Sonderunternehmen „Scholle“ from 19.03-13.04.1945. You don’t have by any chance any confirmation if this Unternehmen really took place ?

All entries are signed by a Lt. Loewen, as the „Einheitsführer“ I‘m trying to confirm it but haven’t had much luck so far.

Best regards
Daniel

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 14 Nov 2020 16:50

Hi Dan,

Wow! Amazing, you have a very interesting document. Unfortunately I'm not able to confirm Unternehmen Scholle. Maybe it is mentioned in the files about Gotthard Gambke and Hans Raupach, but I'm not sure.
I will check it.

Best regards

Robert

dan_pol12

Post by dan_pol12 » 14 Nov 2020 17:12

Thanks a lot Robert,

It would be amazing to get any confirmation. In all the sources I found Loewen was written with oe in stead of ö which would usually be used in german, could it simply be related to translating errors ? Or was he indeed written with oe?

Best regards
Daniel

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 15 Nov 2020 01:10

Hi Daniel,

that is a good question which I had also asked myself. I don't know it for sure but I strongly believe that his name is Loewen.

In addition I add a screenshot from British National Archive.

KV-2-3015_1 Gambke page 47.JPG

Best regards

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 15 Nov 2020 01:29

Hello,

here come additional screenshots mentioning Moritz/ Loewen.
KV-2-3015_2 Peters page 50.JPG

KV-2-3015_2 Peters page 51.JPG

Best regards

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 15 Nov 2020 01:54

Hello Daniel, hello to all of you,

unfortunately I haven't found something about Unternehmen Scholle,but below I will share additional screenshots about Streifkorps of the FAK II and Leutnant Moritz alias Loewen.

KV-2-3015_3 page 2.JPG
KV-2-3015_3 page 2 b.JPG
KV-2-3015_3 page 3 Moritz Loewen.JPG
KV-2-3015_3 page 4 explanation Streifkorps.JPG

http://www.cegesoma.be/docs/Invent/AA_1 ... erches.pdf page 31;Fdw Moritz Unternehmen Schamil

From file KV-2-1493_1 Josef Matl, page 46:
Erhard Lange brought from the caucasus region the Lieutenants Dr. Moritz, Thomasius and Flagel with him to Albania.

from file KV-2-1493_2 Josef Matl, S. 1:
Im März 1944 startete das Sonderkommando Lange/ Albanien einen Angriff gegen die britischen Militärstab unter Brigadier Edmund Frank Davies, der 33 km östlich von Tirana per Fallschirm abgesetzt worden war. In dem Feuergefecht wurden zwei Briten getötet, während Davies verwundet und 12 Mann gefangengenommen und durch Erhard Lange und Leutnant Moritz in Tirana verhört wurden.

On the pages 171 -173 in Perry Biddiscombes "SS Hunter Battalions" Leutnant Dr. Loewen/ Moritz is also mentioned.

I will do a further research on Unternehmen Scholle.

Best regards

Robert

dan_pol12

Post by dan_pol12 » 17 Nov 2020 13:10

Hello Tamari,

Sorry for my late reply, I was a bit busy lately. But thanks a lot, that sheds definitely some light onto Dr. Loewen.

Best regards
Daniel

Tamari

Post by Tamari » 22 Nov 2020 00:12

Hi Daniel,

no problem,I have quite often the same problem concerning other assignments and a general lack of time.

I would like to share additional pieces of information about Leutnant Dr. von Loewen alias Moritz. The souce is Biddiscombe, Perry: „The SS-Hunter Battalions. The hidden history of the Nazi resistance movement 1944-45”, Tempus, Stroud/ Gloucestershire 2006 pages 171 -173.

Perry Biddiscombe SS Hunter Battalions page 171.JPG

Perry Biddiscombe SS Hunter Battalions page 172.JPG

Perry Biddiscombe SS Hunter Battalions page 173.JPG

And in Günter W. Gellermann book "Tief im Hinterland des Gegners" there is also a part within about Unternehmen Schamil which offers some information about Feldwebel Moritz' action in the Caucasus region.

Page 114 - 115:
When German troops had arrived the area of Maikop, Feldwebel Moritz sub-group of Unternehmen Schamil was offered by Abwehr II to the Army Group A. Oberleutnant Erhard Lange had allowed the "mis"-use of his sub-unit and so Feldwebel Moritz was dropped in the night of the 6th of August 1942 by parachute in an area of thick jungle and lost a lot of equipement like W/T-sets.The whole operation of his unit was a disaster. When Moritz arrived back at the German lines days later in an area held by a German battalion he was treated as a spy because nobody was informed about his actions. Moritz' information about a small soviet oil refinery behind the german advanced positions was not taken seriously. When he was allowed to advance with his volunteers the refinery was destroyed by retreating Soviet forces.

According to the war diary of Oberst Erwin von Lahousen, Moritz was five days long imprisioned by German troops. It seems that this was once again an example of bad coordination between Abwehr and the Front commands.

I would also like to add some names of members of FAK 202 under which auspices the Streifkorps Schill idea of the Ic of Army Group A / Mitte Oberstleutnant Konrad Stephanus was implemented first.

FAK 202 1944/45
Major Dietrich F. Witzel alias Kirn Kommandoführer (since 1944)
Hauptmann Heilmann
Hauptmann Baum

Dr. Hans Raupach
Oberleutnant Masuhr
Oberleutnant Josef Müller
Leutnant Eugen Heinrich Weyde (send to FAK 206/ FAT 213)
Leutnant Dr. Moritz alias Loewen Streifkorps-Schule
Leutnant d. R. Martin Skierlo
Leutnant d. R. Dr. Werner Markert (since December 1944)
Leutnant Heinrich Strobl
Leutnant Menner
Leutnant Hinrich „Boy“ Christiansen
Unteroffizier Walter Hoesch
Feldwebel Max Zwiener
Unteroffizier Albrecht Bauer
Obergefreiter Johann Haugeneder

Best regards

Robert

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”