Training of 9 SS Hohenstaufen

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Aida1

Training of 9 SS Hohenstaufen

Post by Aida1 » 06 Mar 2021, 19:52

' SS Pzgren rgt 2 06101943

Training remarks nr 11

1) In september the regiment was several times given the task to execute training demonstations for the officers and NCO"s of the whole division. I compliment all the leaders , SS Sturmbannführer Frank and SS Hauptsturmführer Gruber for the well thought through exercises and their excution. Also Obersturmführer Klostermeier who, in the collaboration with the Sturmgeschütze, gave his company order in an exemplary manner.
2) The unit training is, particularly in september, so well advanced that i am satisfied with the actual training level. There are only some small deficiencies which can be fully remedied next month.
3)This includes in the first place that a group commander should not storm forward of his troops but keeps it in his hand and commands it as is demanded from him. In view of the deep open form , this is only possible when the line of sight from the group to the group commander is constantly guaranteed and he commands more through gestures.
4) In an attack after deployment, no written order for the attack can be given from the observation point of the commander. All that is necessary for the attack must be included in the deployment order, so that only the start of the attack has to be given through telephone, radio or runner.
5) The orientation in the terrain ,especially at night ,has to be practiced more in the officer and NCO training. For this i propose to drive by night in an unknown area with the officers and NCO's , to dismount them there and give them certain assignments, for example orientation by stars or compass.
6) Taking away of weapons, equipment etc.. during exercises
In exercices weapons nor other objects can be taken away from prisoners. The Soldbuch also always stays with the man. The Soldbuch is only to be shown for the establishing of the name and the unit.
In the alarm and para exercise of 27/28.09.43 to which the II/2 participated, the enemy and the umpires even took away the car keyes because of which one could only move away after hours.This behaviour of enthousiastic but totally ill-considered participants of exercices is not only useless but even puts into danger the readiness of the regiment. In case of repetition of these incidents i will be forced to take sharp measures.
7) In a counterattack, it is of decisive importance that the enemy which the front of our attack has passed by cannot establish himself in nests or bunkers and later , laying behind our main defense line have to be eliminated in a repeated attack.'

to be continued

Aida1

Re: Training of 9 SS Hohenstaufen

Post by Aida1 » 07 Mar 2021, 13:48

Therefore from the outset sufficient reserves have to be set apart to eliminate enemy strongpoints.
After reaching the objective of the attack, the artilleryfire needs to be maintained long enough at a sufficient strength until the infantry is established in defense in the new position.

8) AT guns and Sturmgeschütze
In order for the heavy AT guns not to be destroyed before an attack by planned artilleryfire, they have to stand in alternate positions before a big fight and be so well camouflaged beforehand that they cannot be detected by air photos.
In all future exercises all abandoned positions are to be occupied by dummies. Also more use is to be made of fake positions to deceive the enemy.
Because of the weight of the heavy AT gun, the crew of the gun is fully occupied with handling the gun during combat. There is a lack of infantry for protcting flanks and rear. It is therefore essential to develop the firing position into a strongpoint and couple them with infantry reserves or command posts.
As already emphasized before , Sturmgeschütze cannot be tied to a specific spot as AT guns . Such a practice certainly substantially contributes to the rreassurance of individual unit commanders but is fundamentally wrong. This exceptional weapon will this way be prematurely destroyed and is missing for the infantry at the decisive moment. Again and again it is to be reminded with all seriousness that the deployment of individual Sturmgeschütze is always wrong .
The view should never take hold that the Sturmgeschütze are only there to help the infantry, indeed the most important job of the infantry is to cover its faithful helper, secure its flanks and bail out Sturmgeschütze crews that are in trouble.
Only with this attitude of both weapons to each other , can the highest application be demanded fom the Sturmgeschütze'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 07 Mar 2021, 14:55

9) Collaboration
I have found with satisfaction that several members of the regiment have understood my request to collaboration and through this to shared responsability in training suggestions and tools.
Especially, the regiment was given information about special weapons , which useful for all units, form the understanding for these weapons.
Until now, prints were prepared by artillery, engineers and by 14.company
I would like to express my thanks for this.
I am especially happy that particularly part of the craftsmen of the regiment, have conceived and executed good attempts at aids.
Also my hint that one could execute fighter bomber attacks or fight against paras through kites, was executed well by some units .
Even when the final solution in this has not been found yet, i do believe that the craftsmen concerned can still do it.
To stimulate i will give prizes for the building of the kite that is most suitable for our purposes ,namely 1 for 10 RM, one for 20 RM, one for 30 RM
I would especialy like to thank III batln for the construction of very beautiful firing ranges for almost all units of the batln.
I hope that in the future even more units participate in this collaboration.

10) Officer training
For simulations, it is inappropriate to communicate the theme beforehand. The theme is to be developed.
In many situations i still hear the word 'opponent' that in each case immediately has to be replaced by the word 'enemy'.
To ensure good collaboration with heavy weapons, officers of subordinate unIts(13.kp, 14.kp,15.kp, 16.kp, Art Abt, Sturmgeschützabt) also have to be attracted. '

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 08 Mar 2021, 19:58

'11) To continually verify the state of the articles of clothing and equipment, with immediate effect in each week an afternoon has to be kept free for musterings which in addition can be filled with sport and ideological instruction.

12) The responsability of the unit commander is big. It is up to the skillfullness of each unit commander to involve his platoon commanders in the responsability. For example, the first platoon commander in the company can be attracted for clothing and equipment, the second for weapons and material, the third for vehicles.Only this way can the equipment be constantly checked which is indispensable for the readiness of the unit.

13) In my oral comments i have spoken about the fact that platoon commanders must be with their units before turnout repectively departure to check the clothing,weapons and equipment and obove all the completeness of their platoon. Unfortunately i have discovered that this order is not exactly executed in many units.Therefore i order with immediate effect that each platoon commander has to be with his unit at least a quarter of an hour before the start of duties or before the departure to the terrain.

14) I refer again to my secret order of 05041943 concerning punishment in which i made clear that each company commander has to at first get the approval of the btln commander before thr punishment of an NCO or soldier with arrest. For the regimental units i reserve to myself the approval and for special cases i have asked the bln commanders to request my personal decision.
In the future i do not want to hear about severe cases at the report of punishments ; that has to happen in advance through enquiries to me so that i do not have to undo punishments that have been pronounced, by my subsequent decision.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 12 Mar 2021, 19:30

' Education week
Lately there is an increasing frightening number of accidents,theft, and other events which reveal a bad instruction of the troops or deficient supervision. I therefore order an education week between 11 to 17 10 1943 to instruct the troops for the last time.
The company commanders daily need to personally discuss one theme. I ask the batallion commanders for personal supervision.
It has been written enough about this. The education week should be a certain closing instruction after which i will punish each man, NCO; and officer in such an exemplary fashion that at last an end will be put to all incidents.
Up to the 19.10.1943 all units commanders need to give a written report about the execution of the education week.
The following themes have to be discussed:
1) Sanctity of property
2) Desertion
3) Suicide
4) Handlung of weapons training with pistols
5) Vehicle accidents
6) guard offenses

16)Lending of pistols
The lending or passing on of pistols is strictly forbidden.If the bearer of a pistol goes on guard duty and is loaned a rifle, he has to let his pistol in the weapon room for this time.

17) 14 kp
Until now the 14 company has only been drawn on for air support in batallion exercises , although specifically the 2 cm gun is a fantastic weapon for ground combat which until now is not sufficiently used for this way of fighting the enemy. I recommand all commanders a thorough discussion with the company commander of the 14 kp to draw on the 14 kp more than before for firing at ground targets. It is expedient to establish Flak platoons or half platoons in the field in such a way that it can simultaneously besides the combatting of MG nests ,firing at bunker embrasures etc.. in case of fighter bomber attacks , be used for anti-air.

18)As the division as mot div is a pure offensive division, effective imediately in unit exercises the attack from movement is to be trained more wherein great emphasis is to be put on fast dismounting and proceed to attack mode .

19) Also the behaviour of the troops in case of fighter bomber attacks and firing of all weapons on enemy aircraft is to be trained.

20) s.Pz B 41
The actual ammunition situation compells to stop the sharpshooting with the s Pz B 41 . In operations, the s Pz B 41 should only be used against tank targets and not against other targets. This needs to be taken in consideration already now in the unit exercises.'

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 13 Mar 2021, 17:59

SS Pz Gren Div Hohenstaufen
SS Pz gren regt 2 commander 26.03.1943

Instructions for the combat of the Pz Genadiere (unarmoured)
I. Fundamentals

1) The strength of Panzer-Panzergren div is in their speed. Thereby they are capable to surpise the enemy and surprisingly use their combat power that is far superior to that of an inf div.
The surprise is the first prerequisite, the speed in the combat of all weapons is the second precondition for a combat success.

2) Both factors have always to be in the foreground in the education, training and tactical formation of the troop

They require:

a) At the command:
Forward looking measures for march and reconnaissance , neat organisation , energetic clear commanding , fast judgment of the situation, quick bold decision energetic determined knuckling down even in unclear conditions, therefore intelligence, mental agility, strong will and a complete understanding for the Panzer weapon as such '

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 13 Mar 2021, 19:02

'b) with the troop

Extreme discipline and calmness, sharp authority and circonspection with the officers, neat and flawless driving technique and discipline. Continual tense attentiveness of all troop commanders during the march against the enemy.
Quick combat readiness of the troop.
Fast dismounting before combat , quick deployment , fetching of all heavy weapons of artillery and tanks.
Command bodies to the front. Rapidity and momentum of the attack while deploying possibly multiple heavy weapons
Tactical contributing of all officers and NCO's in terms of the situation , correct acting by rearward components, keeping communication between command and troop. Secure, clear transmitting of orders .
Inependent action by rearward components.
Extreme discipline and order through all streets, with all troops.
3) the failure of one subordinate commander, the thoughtlessness of one driver can delay the timely deployment and produce serious disadvantages for the tactical success.

4) The weakness of a panzergrenadier division is the following ;
large length of the march
Difficulties in the transmitting of orders in the march
Dependence on road conditions
Vulnerability to surprise attacks from the air and disruption from the ground
Dependence on the discipline of the whole troop , the collabaration and the contributing of ideas by all members of the troop
This can only be overcome when the troop keeps discipline and order and acts everywhere with deliberation and foresight. '

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 13 Mar 2021, 22:18

' 5) The speed of the march to combat is not guaranteed by the march tempo. By a forced march tempo instead al too easy accidents , frictions in the execution of the march and disruption of the march column happen.
The speed of the troop is instead achieved by forward looking orgainsation of the march, timely recce of bridges and roads and firm traffic control. The fluidity of the march is always guaranteed when all officers are attentive and all drivers and co drivers drive thoughtfull and careful, in case of jams all officers intervene directly , all drivers dismount and knockledown, when a vehicle is stuck.

6) the surprise is best guaranteed through a marchup using darkness. Therefore night marches have to be exercised a lot by mot troops. They require a thourough study of the road on the map, as also timely recce measures to determine and occupy the march road at fork roads(green lights).
In the enemy area the to be deployed traffic posts march close behind the point of the march which is personally commanded by the most forward company commander.'

to be continued

sboyd2kus

Post by sboyd2kus » 14 Mar 2021, 02:28

Very interesting information.
One tends to underestimate the importance of driver training and road march discipline to motorized / mechanized warfare.
-Sharon

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 14 Mar 2021, 17:00

' Command principles

7)Pz gren div march in mixed battle groups of different composition
They consist as a rule of reinforced Pz gren regts , in exceptional cases also weaker elements.
8) Command staff
The division commander will as a rule will be with the forward elements of the forward battlegroup of his division , insofar as it marches on one road.
If the division marches on two roads what is generally desirable, then he is with the tactical more important of both forward battlegroups. A division will only exceptionally dispose of more than 2 roads .
9)The command elements must be kept as small and mobile as possible. If not they jam the road.
Halting command elements as a rule unblock the road. Moving up command elements have 1-2 messenger drive forward to free the road for the folowing command element. They are generally in a hurry and have to come forward fast.
10) All command elements drive in open cars in all weather so that they can orientate themselves at all times. Only in marches in peace time can it be deviated from this on order.
11) location of the command staff
The command of pz gren units of all kind is only possible from forward to back during the movement.
The command staff must keep up forward because only this way the personal impression from the enemy is gained quickest and the division commander can on the basis of his impression of the fast changing combat situation in the motorised fight fetch his forces from further back to the fight or while using their mobility start them from further back to the envelopment. Important is that all battle groups continually -at best through adjudants or sure ordonnance officers with hand picked messengers- keep in communication with the troop commander because the giving of orders by radio must be limited to short instructions '

to be continued.

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 14 Mar 2021, 17:42

'12. Issuing orders
The issuing of orders is carried out- with exception of march, rest etc. orders- in the mobile fight as a rule orally through ordonnance officers or written individual order dictated to the ordonnance officers .
The drawing on the map of the ordonnance officer of enemy, own situation as well as march road is recommended.

13.Reporting
The command of a mot div is much more dependent on reconnaissance than an inf div. The recce organs must be educated and endeavour to report a lot if possible.
All battle groups , all commanders and company commanders must report a lot and factually. Through this they benefit the whole.

14) It is important that not only the reports from forward are made numerous and reponsably but that also the division through its Ic strives to inform its battlegroups if possible often and thoroughly concerning the enemy situation'
The recce results of the artillery are as important as those of the infantry. The artillery is also obliged to report often about the enemy and no less needs to be informed about the enemy situation.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 15 Mar 2021, 21:47

' 15) Communications
The command keeps up the communication with the battle groups through radio as soon as the generally to be ordered radio silence during the march is lifted at the first combat contact.
Therefore all troop commanders needd always to keep their radio stations to the higher command directly near them. No troop commander can separate himself from his radio station shorter or never for a longer time.
If the troop commander moves so far forward that he cannot take his radio station with him there then he keeps it near him and leaves it with a tactically fully informed command body, which exactly knows where the commander is located

16) However, radio stations should not be so exposed that they can fall in enemy hands.Their whole tactical and technical documents , especially the secret codes, are of such decisive importance that their loss causes severe damage. When the radio stations are in danger, radio documents slould be destroyed.

17) troop organisation

The organisations of the battlegroups are adressed to the respective combat objective and the terrain configuration. In principle, a battlegroup is to be equipped with all forces it needs for the execution of its mission.
The forward regimental group therefore has a artillery Abteilung with it as a matter of principle, furthermore it needs as a rule additionally engineers and tank hunters.
The battlegroups generally have enough heavy weapons and observation bodies of the artillery integrated forward to get there first with these weapons when encountering the enemy.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 16 Mar 2021, 17:21

' 18)The main combat of the Panzer genadiere is the encounter battle . It proceeds very fast and demands early proactive command measures.
The advance guards clashes first with the enemy, put themselves- if at all possible- with the help of their speed in possession of tactically important sectors, bridgheads, heights (important for the artillery) and thus through the fight create the preconditions for the conduct of the combat of the folowing battle groups.

19) The commanders of the battle strong vanguard take contact at an early stage with the advance guard which is in combat , gain a personal impression of the enemy situation and deploy the vanguard in the terrain based on the personal insight.
Under protection of the advance guard in combat, the reconnaissance of the artillery and the heavy weapons start early. Its command bodies are the first to get short instructions of the intended measures of the commander of the vanguard and create then fast the documents for the support of the upcoming fight of the infantry by the artillery and the heavy weapons.
The unarmored infantry drives up to the battlefield as close as the enemy situation allows. however outside the range of enemy weapons, dismounts for the fight on foot and reaches the combat starting position .
From this it advances to combat after a short rearranging of its units as soon as the heavy weapons are ready. Long deployings are always the exception with mot troops . The vehicle echelons make the streets free as quickly as possible and go into cover aside from the street ,whereby it is to be made sure that they can again follow forward quickly.
The commanders of the echelons of the companies, btlns need a very thorough training in this regard.
They must be energetic, prudent personalities which are tactically thorougly formed.
In all preparatory measures for combat , speed must be paired with absolute calmness and dicipline.

20) The attack fight proceeds with extreme force. It is to be aimed for that the artillery of the main supports the vanguard early.

21) The combat situation with the vanguard decides on the deployment of the main.
22) In a Panzer divison the combat decision will in the first place be sought through the massed deployment of the whole division.
The envelopment is often aimed for in this.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 18 Mar 2021, 20:19

III. Reconnaissance
23) The reconnaissance creates the information for the management of the battle by division and battlegroups.
24) The recce units (fast regiment, motorcycle company)conduct reconnaissance in the entire combat area. Their approach will either be frontally before the front or advances its recce troops sidewards before the front sector.
The frontal approach is more desirable but often offers less possibilities to look into the enemy.
It happens often that the recce then gets stuck in front of the enemy and is caught up with by the combat troops that march on the same road.
The deployment of the recce troop happens so timely that it has time for its recce activity in its going forward by sector.
Further recce troops are pushed forward in waves over the first wave of the recce troop.
The reconnaissance by a wave of the fast regiment is around 60 km and is still more spread forward by the next recce wave.

25) The close recce and combat recce is a matter for the battlegroups. They execute this by using its motorcycle recce groups , respectively subordinated armored cars.
The recce of the battlegroup investigates the area of the battlegroup. Its range is around 30 km. It is also pushed forward by waves and creates the information for the management of the battle by the battlegroups. Its recce net is denser than the further reaching one of the division. Enough recce reserves have to be available to the battlegroups.
The motorcycle companies are combat units and must in the first place be kept together for combat.

26)The direct combat recce is executed by all arms.
The infantry btln(mot) and the infantry company(mot) must keep ready a few mot recce troops.
They reconnoitre the combat area before the batallion especially in the flank and have a reach of 5 to at the most 10 km . The combat recce takes place by infantry recce troops on foot according to the principles of infantry reconnaissance.
27) The exchange of all recce results is of great importance.
28) All recce troops must be battle strong and be commanded by highly competent ,tactically thoroughly trained officers or NCO's.
They have to report often, clearly and factually so that the command can see constantly into the enemy through them.
The training of good patrol commanders is of decisive importance.'

to be continued

sboyd2kus

Post by sboyd2kus » 19 Mar 2021, 01:38

The Recce rules are fascinating. This is the first practical guide I have seen on German tactical reconnaissance tactics.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”