A question about Fallschirmjäger composition later war.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Der fliegende Jäger

A question about Fallschirmjäger composition later war.

Post by Der fliegende Jäger » 12 Jun 2021, 00:49

I was looking at WWIIdaybyday.com and was reading up on Fallschirmjäger composition and structure.
I was shocked to see that they have the Zug made up of entirely Unteroffiziere. Can someone help explain, or give context to why this is?

Also a completely separate question realistically speaking how many Fallschirmjäger in 1943/44 had glider pilot training, or any form of jump training?

Gary Kennedy

Re: A question about Fallschirmjäger composition later war.

Post by Gary Kennedy » 12 Jun 2021, 20:16

The late war Fallschirmjager KStN are a bit different from the Army equivalents. The personnel details show the usual Offiziere and Beamte columns, then there are four columns covering the 'other ranks', so to speak. These are headed Spezial-personal, Stamm-personal, Allgemeine-personal and Ziv-personal (I don't know what the abbreviation Ziv means, possibly in this case Civilian). Each of these headings, apart from Ziv Pers, is divided into Unteroffiziere and Mannschaften. On KStN 8121(L) of 01 May 1944, officers aside, all personnel are listed under the Spezial column, and within that under Unteroffiziere.

The same is true for the other component KStN tables of the Battalion. I've not seen any other Fallschirmjager KStN tables so I don't know if it was repeated throughout the Regiment and higher.

Gary

Der fliegende Jäger

Post by Der fliegende Jäger » 12 Jun 2021, 20:50

I am not quite understanding what you mean by this, I should probably specify I am talking about the,
Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie (Sp)KStN 8121 (L) (1.5.1944)
this show's a combat unit which I understand as not including civilian personnel at this level, unless I am wrong about that in which case please enlighten me as I am new to this. Anyways the KStN does not show any Manschaften, and only Unteroffiziere in addition to Offiziere in the company. I just don't think it is likely that a company of Fallschirmjäger was only NCOs in 1944. Once again I think I am missing a piece of context or perhaps the reasoning behind it.

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 13 Jun 2021, 16:21

Sorry, no intention to cause confusion. I was trying to outline the format of the KStN (L) table for the unit you had asked about, which I presume used a standard set of headings.

Attached is the section referring to the Rifle Platoon, which does show all personnel (officer aside) as NCOs.
Attachments
191 (2).JPG
190 (2).JPG

Der fliegende Jäger

Post by Der fliegende Jäger » 14 Jun 2021, 05:48

I see no need to apologize already learning more because of your insight. Might I ask where you retrieved the original document image/scan from?

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 14 Jun 2021, 18:40

They were 'gifted' to me for my old website, from someone who has actually ventured into the BA-MA archives many times. I don't know in which files they can be found there I'm afraid.

Gary

kfbr392

Post by kfbr392 » 14 Jun 2021, 19:01

Der fliegende Jäger wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 00:49
I was looking at WWIIdaybyday.com and was reading up on Fallschirmjäger composition and structure.
I was shocked to see that they have the Zug made up of entirely Unteroffiziere.
this was discussed on AHF previously:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=99802

Der fliegende Jäger

Post by Der fliegende Jäger » 14 Jun 2021, 22:14

kfbr392 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 19:01
Der fliegende Jäger wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 00:49
I was shocked to see that they have the Zug made up of entirely Unteroffiziere.
this was discussed on AHF previously:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=99802
Ahh thank you going to read through that

Der fliegende Jäger

Post by Der fliegende Jäger » 14 Jun 2021, 22:26

I see so according to some of the people on that thread it would be more of a case that they were receiving Unteroffizere grade pay. Thank you very much for pointing me to this thread for some reason it escaped my search.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”