SS Tattoo

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
DarExc

SS Tattoo

Post by DarExc » 03 Nov 2002, 19:23

I know that some members of the SS had a tattoo on their arm that said SS but would this include the Waffen-SS as well? Also after the war were people given free service to remove it or do many still have the tattoo today?

Germania

Post by Germania » 03 Nov 2002, 20:40

The tattoo includes the blood group (Waffen-SS) they remove it if possible short before the end of because this tattoo makes them guilty for anything and much of them where killed because they wear the tattoo! To you have an picture of the tattoo I look for it long time!

Mafiozo

Post by Mafiozo » 03 Nov 2002, 21:23

I know that some members of the SS had a tattoo on their arm that said SS but would this include the Waffen-SS as well? Also after the war were people given free service to remove it or do many still have the tattoo today?
My grandfather Max (1920-1995) Joined his red army liberators in january because he spoke fluent german and russian.

So when they encountered germans he'd ask them if they're SS. they said no, so he told them "please take off your cloths" so sometimes they started asking why, got scared. they took their shirts off, and if they had the tatoo, i think they were taken to the woods and killed with a bullet in the head.

so i guess that when the germans thought about the tatoo thingy they didnt really think about the consequences and the russians.[/quote]

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 04 Nov 2002, 01:07

Besides blood type I think they had a SS (like the symbol though) as well.

HaEn
In memoriam

tattoo

Post by HaEn » 04 Nov 2002, 05:11

DarExc wrote:Besides blood type I think they had a SS (like the symbol though) as well.
For pete's sake, don't any of you guys ever use a search engine, or read previous posts.
Once more: The tattoo under the left arm, half way between the elbow and the armpit was nothing more than a bloodgroup letter, indicating what bloodgroup the soldier had. There were NO RUNES, NO SWASTIKAS, nothing but a capital letter. If you can draw a capital letter A, you just have created the "tattoo". HN.

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 04 Nov 2002, 05:19

From TRF:
The purpose of the tattoo was to be albe to preform a blood transfusion at the front to save a wounded mans life. The blood group was also mentioned in the personnel-files and his ID-papers.
Two different types of tattoos existed, one in gothic lettering and one in latin lettering, the latter one being used later in the war.
The tatto was about 7 mm in length and was placed on the underside of the left arm, about 20 cm up from the elbow

Germania

Post by Germania » 04 Nov 2002, 19:05

What´s with an pic of it? I heard things about ID numbers and so one for higher leaders fact or fake?

HaEn
In memoriam

id

Post by HaEn » 05 Nov 2002, 00:22

Germania wrote:What´s with an pic of it? I heard things about ID numbers and so one for higher leaders fact or fake?
FAKE ! HN

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 06 Nov 2002, 08:00

Besides blood type I think they had a SS (like the symbol though) as well.
The so called "SS Tatoo" was as Romulus previously described it.

It did not bear SS runes, totenkopfs or numbers.

A picture has been posted in this Forum a while back of the tattoo in question.

It was there to aid in providing quick medical assistance to soldiers in the field.

Many modern soldiers have such tattoo markings indicating blood type or alergies etc.

The only people who bear tattoo's of SS runes, Totenkopfs and the like are modern neo nazi type idiots.

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 06 Nov 2002, 21:56

For pete's sake, don't any of you guys ever use a search engine, or read previous posts.
Once more: The tattoo under the left arm, half way between the elbow and the armpit was nothing more than a bloodgroup letter, indicating what bloodgroup the soldier had. There were NO RUNES, NO SWASTIKAS, nothing but a capital letter. If you can draw a capital letter A, you just have created the "tattoo". HN.
I did use a search engine prior to posting but could only find the blood type one. I thought there was a SS symbol tattoo as well. Guess I was wrong but you don't have to be so criticle, if it annyos you just don't reply.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”