17. SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" 06/1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
vic044

17. SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" 06/1944

Post by vic044 » 29 Jul 2007, 16:13

Hello

I'm researching Werner Ostendorff for a friend of mine.

Ostendorff was the first commander of the 17th SS Division. Thanks to fellow forummembers, I already found a lot of info (course of life) but i would like to have more info on the battle of the 17. SS-Division in Normandy in which he got wounded.

Ostendorff got wounded on the 15/06/1944 and was evacuated. I found an indication that is was in the vicinity of Carentan during a fight against the 101st Airborne but i would like to have more details (where, which units, time, actions, movement.....)

Maybe someone has the divisional book of SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" and can give me more information on the combat actions during that time especially from the 06/06 till the 17/06/1944.

Thank you in advance for your reaction.

Best regards

Hessler64

Post by Hessler64 » 02 Aug 2007, 15:18

Heimdal has a 2 volume series on the 17th.SS with lots of information, and previously unpublished photos. It should answer some of the questions your looking for.

Heßler

himmelhund

Post by himmelhund » 02 Aug 2007, 20:22

hallo vic044,

in the volume Götz von Berlichingen is standing :
Elements of the 30 ID (Major General Hobbs) wihch had releived 29 ID , launched an attack at 7h30 from the area north of Carantan , with support of 5 artillery batallions , they advanced along the railway line and took Lenauderie after a battle lasting 40min. Then they reached Mont-Martin en Graignes , taking possession after an hour of fierce fighting. During the evening , with one battalion and with tanks in support , the americans reached La Raye on the Vire , and the Taute. But the bridge over the Vire had been blown.

On the morning of 16 June , all resistance ceased at La Raye , then the canal was reached near wich the Americans had to dig in.The same day they gained ground to the west and got as far as Douville (Deville).The weak elements of I/38 to be committed crossed the canal over the bridge of Port des Panques to pull back into the Graignes area and moved onto the defensive on the edge of the depression.

The americans stayed on the north side of the canal and dug in along the last hedges in front of the clear ground along the canal.

The german counter attack launced on 16 June at around 11h30 to obtain some relief came too late , broken by artillery and MG fire , and the bridge was blown up.

The attacks on Briseval and the canal crossings were again repulsed , but during the retreat back to fresh positions of the Vire-Taute canal , the divisional commander was wounded.

regards,

Himmelhund

Siszkay

Re: 17. SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" 06/1944

Post by Siszkay » 31 May 2017, 18:37

I was searching the battle of Graignes & came upon this from a few years back. There was a battle that took place near Graignes close to LeRay at the Vire River Bridge. My dad was in 29th Division & fought in the battle against the 17. SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" on June 13th trying to secure the Vire River Bridge. His Co ran out of ammo & forced to surrender. The SS executed some of the guys in his unit & sent the rest to POW camp in Germany. Today, my dad is the last survivor of his company.

phran

Re: 17. SS-Division "Götz von Berlichingen" 06/1944

Post by phran » 17 Jan 2018, 05:39

My uncle was a rifleman in the 29th division (G Company) and was KIA at La Raye on 13 June.

His name was Nicholas Dieter. Is there any chance your father remembers him?

Thanks,
Fran Kemp

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”