Operation Bajadere

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
joyban70

Operation Bajadere

Post by joyban70 » 19 Sep 2007, 10:56

Hi all

Operation Bajadere was a special forces operation launched in January 1942 by a hundred strong paratroop force of the Free India Legion along with the Brandenburgers, the German special forces unit.

In January 1942, in Operation Bajadere, the unit was parachuted into Persia and infiltrated India. They engaged in sabotage, attempted to create dissent and worked towards a popular revolt against British rule. Oberleutnant Witzel, the Abwehr attaché at Kabul reported several months later that the operations had been successful.

Does any bodyknow of what operations these units were involved in within India and how successful were they against the British Indian Army ...?

What finally happened with these forces ?

Is there any record of these events at all ?

Sid Guttridge

Re: Operation Bajadere

Post by Sid Guttridge » 24 Mar 2017, 18:31

I suspect this operation is one of the many Brandenburger myths, along with such things as a large Arab force supposedly raised and deployed to oppose the British occupation of Iraq and a diamond theft in South Africa, etc.. It is a sad thing that, however good special forces may be, there is always someone prepared to exaggerate their efforts and achievements.

It strikes me that a hundred Indians would stick out like a sore thumb in Persia/Iran.

If anyone has any hard facts or sources on this "operation", I would be most interested to hear of it.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”