Division Schwedt 1945 Skorzeny

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Division Schwedt 1945 Skorzeny

Post by Endzeit Jan » 15 Sep 2008, 11:39

Hi
I search Informations of this Division.
Jan

PS: Roland you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Jan

RolandP

Re: Division Schwedt 1945 Skorzeny

Post by RolandP » 02 Jan 2009, 01:14

Endzeit Jan wrote:....PS: Roland you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Jan
Hi Jan,

It seems, that no one would like to or could answer your question :?

I was again working on my files about that formation for some days now, so I would be interested in further information as well …

We are talking about a mixture of Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht and Air Force units, like
SS-Jagdverband “Mitte”, SS-Hstuf. Fucker
SS-Jagdverband „Nordwest“, or „battle group Hoyer“, SS-Hstuf. Hoyer
SS-Fallsch.Jg,Btl. 600, SS-Hstuf. Milius and
some company size units f. e. an Infantry-gun-company, a Nachrichten-company or the so called “company Schwerdt”

There were three “Alarm”-Battalions formed from stragglers, the Battalions
Major Aschenbach
Major Jacobs (with company Oberleutnant Scholz) (Pz.Gren.Ers.Btl. 9?)
Oberleutnant Zapf

There were three companies formed from members of the Air Force, named after their company commander like Steinke, Strassmann or Galli

The Fallsch.Pz.Jg.Btl. 54 was in action in the bridgehead only for a short time, maybe from February 5th , maybe earlier, until the Morning of February 8th 1945, apart from information provided by the former platoon leader Leutnant Hans von Majer of the 1.company, who mentioned to be in the bridgehead until February 25th.
And the third battalion of FschJg.Rgt 26, 9th Fallsch.Jg.Div., was mentioned to haven been part of the “Division” from February 14th (or 15th) until February 21st/24th being released from the position at Nipperwiese to be send to Breslau.

For some armoured support, from February 7th until the evacuation of the bridgehead, there were parts of the Stu.Gesch,Brigade 210 attached to the “Division” as well.

Concerning the anti aircraft units used in or near the bridgehead, I have no detailed information, these should be parts of the 27.Flak-division (?).

These were the “main parts” of the so called Division Schwedt; you will find additional information in this forum as well; after the withdrawal on the west side of the river Oder on March 2nd 1945, it seems, that these units should form a so called “38.Waffen-Grenadier-Division”, but were instead used to establish the new 547.Volks-Grenadier-Division.
The units of the Waffen-SS mentioned above, formed the so called battle group “Solar” in the bridgehead Zehden or also named “Alt-Küstinchen” until the end of March 1945.

So if anybody has some reports about that units or from former members of them, please let us know. :wink: I used some literature; you would see the list right here
http://forum-der-wehrmacht.de/thread.php?threadid=3251

One of my questions would be, what Russian corps attacked the Schwedt positions after February 4th 1945, the 12.Guards-Tank-Korps of the 2nd Guards-Tank-Army? What units were in action and when did they changed positions with what kind of units of the 47. (?) Russian Army? :?

Regards yours Roland

Martin Block

Post by Martin Block » 02 Jan 2009, 01:52

Roland,

do you know about this post http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... 260#123260 ?
The 'Dokument 3' section has some detailed information about organization and equipment at the end of February 1945.
There are also some interesting follow-up posts further down regarding the topic.

Strange that Endzeit-Jan apparently missed that one because he is an active member of that Forum - or at least he was until some time ago!?

Regards,

Martin Block

RolandP

Post by RolandP » 02 Jan 2009, 12:13

Dear Martin
Thanks for the quick answer, I noticed your very interesting post there some time ago, it helped my to understand some information, Wolfgang Vopersal stated in his files about Schwedt and the so called “38.Waffen-Gren.Division” :wink:

But it is not easy, to “combine” the different parts of information, I got from here and there, because of the difference in time and place, the reports stated …. :cry:

So it would be nice, to have some additional information as well, apart from the literature I found, maybe there some information in other articles in magazines or books, I don’t know right now … every hint would be nice :)

I don´t know why Jan missed your information, but I have still no idea, why he was looking for information about Schwedt as well … :wink:

Regards yours Roland

Athos70

Post by Athos70 » 01 Mar 2009, 18:26

Hi Roland, Im very much interested in the same question as you.

I posted a question on the Armchair General forum and got some more clues on what Corps we are looking for.

Best Regards , Johan
---------------------------
here's a copy/paste of the interesting answer I got from R.N. Armstrong:

According to M.D. Solomatin (in his book, "Krasnogradtsy"), cdr 1st Mech Corps, 2GTA, the 1st MC together with elements of 9th GTC (2nd GTA) captured Konigsberg on Feb 5th. They also managed to seize the high ground to thw wouthwest to include Grabov the same day. From 5-11 Feb, 1st MC attempted repeatedly to breakthrough the German defenses on the east bank of the Oder.

The 2nd GTA unit history, Gvardeiskaya tankovya, jumps over this this early period of February to talk about the subsequent East Pomeranian Operation.

A David Glantz study of the Vistula-Oder operation shows 2nd GTA dispositions up to Feb in which 1st MC and 9th GTC are on both sides of Konigsberg.

I would speculate that 9th GTC rather than 12 GTC was involved in the Konigsberg-Grabov-Schwedt actions since 12 GTC was farther north and on 9th GTC's right flank away from Konigsberg.

rna
-----------------------
link to the actual thread:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... hp?t=73554

fanatyk6

Post by fanatyk6 » 02 Apr 2009, 11:33

Hi,
In this thread I've posted names of soviet units participating in attack on Konigsberg/Nm.
-> http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/threa ... 046&page=2

Here in russian:
по приказу командующего фронтом сюда был передислоцирован 8-й гвардейский Прикарпатский механизированный корпус генерал-майора танковых войск И. Ф. Дремова( Сменив здесь части 1-го мехкорпуса ), прикарпатцы повели наступление в направлении города Шведт с задачей захватить там мост на реке Одер.
- 19-я гвардейская механизированная бригада > 67-й гвардейский танковый полк
- 20-я гвардейская механизированная бригада > 68-й гвардейский танковый полк
- 21-я гвардейская механизированная бригада (> 69-й гвардейский танковый полк
- 1-я гвардейская танковая бригада
- 49-я танковая бригада
8-й Гвардейский механизированный корпус в январе 1945 года имел 185 М4А2 и только 5 Т-34.
* M4A2 + снаряды HVAP=APCR (high-velocity armor-piercing подкалиберный бронебойный)
Другими соединениями, вооружёнными М4А2 (76) в 1945 году были 1-й Гвардейский мехкорпус и 9-й Гвардейский мехкорпус.

More in the link above (there's a quite long description of fights in Konigsberg. However it does not include many details).

You can also find some info in Wenjamin Mironov's book ,,Die Staehlerna Garde" or in Kurt Speer ,,Der Kampf um Koenigsberg/Neumark. Flucht und Vertriebung 1945". I remember pages covering this issue translated to polish on ,,Gazeta Chojenska" netsite but they apparently deleted those articles.

In ,,Die deutsche Wochenschau" from 1945-03-16 you can see some knocked out soviet tanks. Apparently from the 1st Mech. Corps.

In ,,Wir wollten eigentlich nicht fliehen..." book you can find a memories of german soldier who fought with soviet tanks on bridgehead Schwedt. Autors wrote also that ,,Gegen Mitternacht vom 4 zum 5 Februar fuehrten zwei verstarkte Brigaden des 1. Mechanisierten Korps einen zweiten Angriff auf Konigsberg."

I assume that Konigsberg/Nm was taken by 49 armoured brigade (colonel Abramov) and 219 armoured brigade (colonel Wajnrub).

I expect to get some new info about this topic soon, so hope to add more detalis later on.
Best regards,
fanatyk6

fanatyk6

Post by fanatyk6 » 02 Apr 2009, 11:49

Road Chojna (Konigsberg/Nm) Schwedt how it looks now (Pic taken near Grabow - Reichenfelde crossroads).

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 02 Apr 2009, 13:43

Hi
In English:

the front here was redeployed 8th guards torhovy mechanized corpus major - general tank and f. дремова (relieving here part of the 1st мехкорпуса), прикарпатцы attacked towards the town of шведт with the task to seize there the oder.
- 19 guard mechanized brigade > 67 1st Guard tank Regiment
- 20 guard mechanized brigade > 68 1st Guard tank Regiment
- 21 guard mechanized brigade (> 69 1st Guard tank Regiment
- 1st Guard tank Brigade
- 49 - Panzer Brigade
8th guards mechanized corpus in January 1945 had 185 м4а2 and only 5 t - 34.
* M4a2 shells hvap = (high - velocity apcr armor - piercing подкалиберный armour - piercing)
Other compounds, armed м4а2 (76) in 1945 were 1st Guard мехкорпус and 9th guards мехкорпус.

Jan
PS Translator Windows Live Search :D

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 28 Dec 2020, 09:57

Al least Speer in his book mentions that parts of SS-PzGren.A.u.E.Abt 3 were sent to Schwedt, too.

Jan-Hendrik

tsla

Post by tsla » 19 Jan 2021, 05:21

I am looking for any information about Hstuf. Heinrich Hoyer, referenced below as

I am new on this board and looking for direction
Thank you
Francesco
RolandP wrote:
02 Jan 2009, 01:14
Endzeit Jan wrote:....PS: Roland you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Jan
Hi Jan,

It seems, that no one would like to or could answer your question :?

I was again working on my files about that formation for some days now, so I would be interested in further information as well …

We are talking about a mixture of Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht and Air Force units, like
SS-Jagdverband “Mitte”, SS-Hstuf. Fucker
SS-Fallsch.Jg,Btl. 600, SS-Hstuf. Milius and
some company size units f. e. an Infantry-gun-company, a Nachrichten-company or the so called “company Schwerdt”

There were three “Alarm”-Battalions formed from stragglers, the Battalions
Major Aschenbach
Major Jacobs (with company Oberleutnant Scholz) (Pz.Gren.Ers.Btl. 9?)
Oberleutnant Zapf

There were three companies formed from members of the Air Force, named after their company commander like Steinke, Strassmann or Galli

The Fallsch.Pz.Jg.Btl. 54 was in action in the bridgehead only for a short time, maybe from February 5th , maybe earlier, until the Morning of February 8th 1945, apart from information provided by the former platoon leader Leutnant Hans von Majer of the 1.company, who mentioned to be in the bridgehead until February 25th.
And the third battalion of FschJg.Rgt 26, 9th Fallsch.Jg.Div., was mentioned to haven been part of the “Division” from February 14th (or 15th) until February 21st/24th being released from the position at Nipperwiese to be send to Breslau.

For some armoured support, from February 7th until the evacuation of the bridgehead, there were parts of the Stu.Gesch,Brigade 210 attached to the “Division” as well.

Concerning the anti aircraft units used in or near the bridgehead, I have no detailed information, these should be parts of the 27.Flak-division (?).

These were the “main parts” of the so called Division Schwedt; you will find additional information in this forum as well; after the withdrawal on the west side of the river Oder on March 2nd 1945, it seems, that these units should form a so called “38.Waffen-Grenadier-Division”, but were instead used to establish the new 547.Volks-Grenadier-Division.
The units of the Waffen-SS mentioned above, formed the so called battle group “Solar” in the bridgehead Zehden or also named “Alt-Küstinchen” until the end of March 1945.

So if anybody has some reports about that units or from former members of them, please let us know. :wink: I used some literature; you would see the list right here
http://forum-der-wehrmacht.de/thread.php?threadid=3251

One of my questions would be, what Russian corps attacked the Schwedt positions after February 4th 1945, the 12.Guards-Tank-Korps of the 2nd Guards-Tank-Army? What units were in action and when did they changed positions with what kind of units of the 47. (?) Russian Army? :?

Regards yours Roland

lazybather

Post by lazybather » 22 Jan 2021, 19:13

I am looking for any information about Hstuf. Heinrich Hoyer, referenced below as SS-Jagdverband „Nordwest“, or „battle group Hoyer“, SS-Hstuf. Hoyer

Heinrich Hoyer
born Lebong-Soelit on 15 October 1911.
SS No.: 29.498.
Promoted to SS-Hstuf. on 1 May 1944.

Stuart. :)

tsla

Post by tsla » 22 Jan 2021, 19:17

Thank you Stuart! Can you point me to any source that would describe where Hoyer came from prior to joining SS?

steve248

Post by steve248 » 23 Jan 2021, 12:10

Hoyer:
Mar-Aug 1944, SS-Hstuf Hoyer “Succeeded SS-Hstuf Hunke as commander 5th Company [Straf Kompanie der Waffen-SS, Friedenthal]. Was sent in command of a party of Bewährungsmänner on anti-partisan operations in Croatia.”
source: UK Natl Archives, WO 208/3616 (SIR 1597 dated 6 April 1945)

to Oct 1944, SS-Hstuf Heinrich Hoyer, in command of 2.Komp., SS-Jägerbataillion 502
then commander, Neustrelitz (Jagdverbnad Nord-West) and deputy for Skorzeny when he was on the Horthy mission
source: UK Natl Archives, WO 204/12395 ( US 7th Army, G-2 Bulletin dated 9 June 1945, Appendix C)

end 1944, SS-Hstuf Hoyer noted as commander, SS-Jagdverband Nord-West stationed at Neu-Strelitz, Meckl.
source: UK Natl Archives, WO 204/11959, SHAEF/CI War Room London report on “Operational Units of Amt VI S”

I have posted elsewhere on the Forum that Hoyer was last seen in Prague, April 1945, hospitalized with wounds

lazybather

Post by lazybather » 23 Jan 2021, 14:36

Thank you Stuart! Can you point me to any source that would describe where Hoyer came from prior to joining SS?
Sorry no.
Interestingly, he appears to have been born in Batavia, Dutch East Indies

Stuart. :)

Tamari

Re: Division Schwedt 1945 Skorzeny - Heinrich Hoyer

Post by Tamari » 23 Jan 2021, 16:16

Hello to all of you,

could it be possible that Heinrich Hoyer was a Hauptmann of the Wehrmacht before he served with the SS-Jagdverbände as I had asked tonight?

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54530

Heinrich Hoyer is also mentioned on some pages in Perry Biddiscombe's excellent book about the SS-Jagdverbände named the "SS Hunter Battalions - The hidden history of the Nazi resistance movement 1944-45"

20210123_150707.jpg
Biddiscombe "SS Hunter Battalions"
20210123_150758.jpg
Perry Biddiscombe " SS Hunter Battalions"

20210123_150733.jpg
Perry Biddiscombe "SS Hunter Battalions"

You can also find some information about officers of the Jagdverbände if you type in JAGDVERBAND on this homepage: https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/home

20210123_002622.jpg
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/home

Best regards
Robert

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”