Tiger info needed for Das Reich in 43

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
jguld

Tiger info needed for Das Reich in 43

Post by jguld » 18 Jan 2003, 21:34

I'm trying to find pictures of tank S33 which is supposed to have a chinese good luck symbol painted on the sides and belonged to Oberscharfuhrer Theiss. I haven't been able to find any pictures that actually show the symbol on this tank and the turret numbers. I'm trying to find out if the symbol was also on the front of the tank. Thanks for any help.

Jim Guld

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Jan 2003, 13:28

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... hp?t=10790

/Marcus

jguld

Re: Das Reich Tiger in 43

Post by jguld » 19 Jan 2003, 18:47

Marcus,
Yes thats the puzzle I'm trying to figure out. I have "Tiger 1 on the Eastern Front" and "Tigers in Combat 2" and have seen the pictures mentioned. The problem is I haven't seen a picture that shows the turret numbers and the chinese symbol in the same shot. Both books have different tanks assigned to the chinese symbol. In Tigers in Combat, he says its Theiss' tank. In Tiger 1 on the Eastern Front, he says its Soretz's tank. The shot showing the frontal view is also taken before they repainted the tanks and used the new regimental symbol. This tiger also has the holes for the drivers periscope visable and the shots that I've seen of S33 in late 43 show a different tiger that doesn't have the drivers periscope holes. I'm wondering if the first tiger was knocked out in action replaced with another one ? This makes me wonder did they repaint the symbols on the new tank or leave them off ? I guess it would depend on how superstitus the crew was.... There are 2 shots of tigers in Tigers on the Eastern Front pg 111 one shows S33 and the other is the frontal show showing the chinese symbol tiger. The shot of S33 looks like it might have the chinese symbol painted on it on the left side but you can't see the front of the tank real well and can't tell if it has the drivers periscope holes or tell if it has the loaders periscope. It also has the new regitmental symbol painted on the right hand side of the hull which seems where it was painted on most of the tigers I've seen from mid 43. I've tried contacting Pat Stancil,who did the research fo r Archer Transfers, but I didn't get a respoce back. One things for sure my tiger library is growing...

Jim Guld

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”