Leibstandarte Feldpost curiosity...

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Timo

Leibstandarte Feldpost curiosity...

Post by Timo » 16 Apr 2002 15:43

I have a question about LAH Feldpost nummers:

Feldpost nummers Aufklärungsabteilung LAH (30.12.1940):
Stab 01 893
Nachrichtenzug 01 893
1.Kompanie 33 752
2.Kompanie 02 334
3.Kompanie 03 197

4.(schwere)Kompanie is not mentioned on 30.12.1940. Why not? In the Kriegstagebuch of the LAH the 4.Kompanie is mentioned as early as 19.08.1940, but actual formation was in January/February 1941. The Feldpost nummer of the 4.Kompanie is still not listed on 25.05.1941, despite considerabel action in Greece, but appears for the first time (under Feldpost nummer 37 359) on 30.06.1941

My question is: when was the 4.Kompanie officially formed and when did it receive its Feldpost nummer? And how did the commander of a Kompanie receive Feldpost during the formation of his unit, when his Kompanie was still a paper unit without a Feldpostnummer?

Thanks in advance,
Timo

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 16 Apr 2002 17:02

I think the issue procedure of FP numbers often fell far behind units being formed, as well as those desytoyed or absorbed by units in the field. Example, the numbers alloted "DR" in a list I posted where II./Langemarck is still listed and assigned numbers when it no longer existed (had become an element of the Panzer Regiment, with numerous personnel changes). Options for mailing, based on the few odd ones I've seen:

1) incorrect FP material would have gone to the unit Feldpost as a collector for forwarding
2) The staff of the primary element (Regiment, Abteilung, etc) received all mail as in case of letter suffix assigned numbers
3) Within the stytem a general number (divisional staff or Feldpost which was often assigned the same number) existed for each major unit if a specific one was not known or assigned.
For a unit's formation, FP data is a generally poor source, Aufstellung and Umgliederung documents issued by the SS-FHA were not used by Lehmann and may be in the rolls for "LAH" covering the unit in question at NARS with records group T-175.

Mark

Timo

Post by Timo » 16 Apr 2002 17:44

Thanks for the excellent reply Mark.

Regards,
Timo

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”