Heeresfachschule (V.) - meaning?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Heimatschuss

Heeresfachschule (V.) - meaning?

Post by Heimatschuss » 09 Nov 2009, 02:29

Hello,

looks like an easy question but despite quite some googling I didn't find any convincing answer, actually no answer at all. If you search for them there were quite a lot but what does the abbreviation
Heeresfachschule (V.)
actually mean?

I've found so far
Heeresfachschule (V.W.) = Heeresfachschule für Verwaltung und Wirtschaft
Heeresfachschule (L.) = Heeresfachschule für Landwirtschaft
Heeresfachschule (Forst) = Heeresfachschule für Forstwesen

For a while I thought that the Heeresfachschule (V.) were forerunners of Heeresfachschule (V.W.) , i.e. just a change in designation but the school type Heeresfachschule (V.W.) already existed in 1922 so this seems to be very unlikely now.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help
Torsten

hero.

Re: Heeresfachschule (V.) - meaning?

Post by hero. » 10 Nov 2009, 02:59

Hello Torsten !

I think you were on the right track, somehow :wink: :
According to Absolon, Die Wehrmacht im Dritten Reich, Vol. II, p. 291, :
The "Heeres- usw. Fachschulen für Verwaltung und Wirtschaft" were renamed
on 20. Nov. 1936 in : Heeres- usw. Fachschulen für Verwaltung (V).

Best regards,
hero.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 12 Nov 2009, 00:24

Excellent answer, hero.!

I had never thought that the change might have been the other way round from Fachschule (V.W.) to Fachschule(V.). Now it's entirely clear. So phased-out old soldiers had to do some terms at a Heeresfachschule (V.W.) (since 1936 Heeresfachschule (V.)) and then were transferred for some more terms to the Höhere Heereslehranstalt für Vermessungswesen (since 1941 Wehrmachtsvermessungsschule) if they wanted to work as land surveyors after leaving military service. (See http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &p=1395959).

Many thanks
Torsten

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 13 Nov 2009, 12:39

@ Torsten

Not sure about "phased out old soldiers".

The military was happy to grant an early retirement to NCOs with a good service record to attend these schools. Basically, they retained the services of highly trained and reliable soldiers, albeit as Wehrmachtbeamten. Soldiers were eager to go to these institutes, as successful completion meant that they could become Beamte, which, especially in the Thirty's, was a very good civilian position to have. I'd also have to delve into the many volumes of Absolon to be sure, but it might be that these postings were at least partially paid for by the military.

Cheers
Leo

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”