Panzerjäger-Abteilung 200

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Noja68

Re: Panzerjäger-Abteilung 200

Post by Noja68 » 16 Feb 2020, 02:45

Hi all,
I see this post about the Panzerjager Abteilung 200 has been inactive for some time.
My wife's grandfather fought in the Falaise pocket as a German soldier of the PanzerJager Abteilung 200 of the 21PD between 13th and 16th August 1944. He must have been evacuated from the pocket severely wounded as he then died of his wounds at the Sanitary Company 2/66 in Orbec/Normandy on 16th August 1944. He was a Gerfeiter in the 1st Company of the Abteilung. Thanks to the Internet a discovered his grave in France in 2013, 69 years after his death, and we went there the next year to lay flowers.
I see some of you guys have incredible knowledge about the details of different German troops.
I was wondering if somebody would know any details about where exactly the PzJgAbt 200 was positioned between the 13th and the 16th of August 1944 in the Falaise pocket. I know that the 21PD attempted an unsuccessful counterattack against the Canadian Army on the 14th of August, north-west from Falaise. I am not sure though if the PzJgAbt 200 was part of that operation.
The book by W.Kortenhous about the 21 PD details the moves of the 21 st PD but I couldn't find enough info about the fate of the PzJgAbt 200.
Did they fight on PAK 43 or FLAK 88 by this time?
What were the towing vehicles in these troops in August 1944?
What could have been his role as a Gefreiter in the Abteilung?
What happened to the Abteilung during the Falaise pocket closure?

I would be grateful for some information

Many thanks

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”