Rommel's wanderings in the desert war

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Panzermahn

Rommel's wanderings in the desert war

Post by Panzermahn » 26 Feb 2003, 05:54

As you all know, Erwon Rommel always prefer to lead even in reconnaissance missions and operations to the chagrined of his staffs..

I came across a story where during the desert war, Rommel with his adjutant, a bodyguard and a driver drove a recon vehicle for some observation..Somehow, he got lost behind the British lines and suddenly he came to a field hospital..A british field hospital...Rommel went inside and all the British personnel stood to attention..Field Marshal Rommel begin to inspect the wounded and told them the place was overrun by the Germans and he assured the British wounded that medical supplies were own the way and he was on a mission of inspection of field hospitals..

So before the half-asleep british guards awake, Rommel and his adjutant spirited as fas as they came..I would like to know did Rommel spoke english with the British wounded?

Can anyone verified this story?
Last edited by Panzermahn on 27 Feb 2003, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Rommel's wanderings

Post by Dennis Redler » 26 Feb 2003, 10:20

I have heard that story too.I don't know if he spoke English though.
Dennis :)

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 26 Feb 2003, 16:09

Sounds like a tall tale to me.

But did you know that Rommel may have been related to the Polish General Juliusz Rommel, who defended Warsaw against the Nazis?

Yup, it seems that he was, because a lot of German migrants who settled in Poland came from south-west Germany, where the German Rommel was from.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 26 Feb 2003, 22:41

Didn't Rommel use his uniform? And he must have droven in a Kubel or something, the British really didn't see this?

Chris Carden

Post by Chris Carden » 02 Mar 2003, 19:13

I just recently read a biography on rommel. In that book, the story goes that he was leading a fuel convoy that was looking for rommel's lines. Thay accidently drove in to a new zealend field hospital. They had a english speaking officer promise them more medical supplies. And they drove out at double speed to get away. They were able to accomplish this, because rommel was leading the convoy in a captured british car.

Thats how it went in this book. Which the author wrote by interviewing rommels wife and reading his letters that he wrote daily.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”