Activities of Alarm Kompanie

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
SergioDV

Activities of Alarm Kompanie

Post by SergioDV » 24 Dec 2010, 01:21

While I was reading the US Handbook on German Military Forces:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Germany/HB/HB-3.html

I've found this:

"...SS regiments. The organization of the SS in the echelons below the sub-districts is on a unit rather than a territorial basis, although each unit controls a definite territory. Each sub-district headquarters controls two to four SS infantry regiments (SS-Fuss-Standarten). After 5 years of war these regiments are now no more than skeleton cadres carrying on the tradition and, to a limited extent, the functions of the organization until their members in the Armed Forces and Waffen-SS are demobilized. Regiments are numbered consecutively from 1 to 125.

Each regiment is normally composed of three active battalions (Sturmbanne) and one reserve battalion (Reserve-Sturmbann). The active battalions bear Roman numerals.

Each active battalion consists of four companies (Sturme) and a medical detachment (Sanitätsstaffel). One of the four companies may serve locally as a guard company (Wachkompanie) and one as an emergency company (Alarm-Kompanie), while the remaining two are assigned to general duties."

I'd like to know the functions of those "emergency companies" also know as "Alarm-Kompanien".
----

Yes, I'm just 27 years old.

lutrebois

Re: Activities of Alarm Kompanie

Post by lutrebois » 24 Dec 2010, 09:43

As the FM states "emergency"

This Coy would be ready on a very short delay to "go into action", in Germany that would mean that this Coy was consigned in the barracks.
emergency: escaped POW's, shot down allied planes with a search for the crew, assistance where man-power was needed (bomb damage), ......
On the front that would be a designated coy, kept in reserve, with the task of reïnforcing the lines there where it was needed.
Cheers
Peter

SergioDV

Re: Activities of Alarm Kompanie

Post by SergioDV » 24 Dec 2010, 13:35

Thank you Peter!
----

Yes, I'm just 27 years old.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”