Relative research (Landstorm, ID185)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
ErwinZ

Relative research (Landstorm, ID185)

Post by ErwinZ » 05 Jan 2011, 16:26

I'm doing research on a relative of mine. But so far It doesn't make sense.

From the Deutsche Dienststelle and the German Red Cross;
Truppenteil: laut meldung vom 29.10.1944 6. Kompanie Division 185.
Kriegsgefangenschaft: 29.10.1944 in Holland in englischer Gefangenschaft.
Dienstgrad: laut Meldung vom 29.10.1944 Gefreiter

From personal memoirs:
The person in question is Dutch and ended his training on 15 March 1944 at Lauenburg (Pl). Was cook on a officers staff in Nieuweschans (NL). The officer and staff later moved, presumably, to castle Drakenstein (??). Called up to a unit which was assembled in Hilversum (NL) and Baarn (NL). Fought at the Albertkanaal (BE) and was taken prisoner. Escaped or was liberated from the prison camp. Later fought in Zeeland (NL) and was honoured the Iron Cross (2nd class most likely), eventually was captured by the Polish in the Chaam and Ginniken (NL) area. Has 'blutgruppe' tattoo on his arm.

So far we think he was part of the II./SS-Grenadier-Regiment 'Landstorm Nederland' and eventually ended up in the Kampfgruppe Chill which fought at the Zeeland - Breda area. And since ID 185 doesnt exist we think it should have been ID 85.

So the memoirs and the facts from the Dienststelle partially match up. I would like to get more information about the II./SS-Grenadier-Regiment 'Landstorm Nederland. Also I heard about a list of Dutch trainees in that time period at Lauenburg, would like to know how to get that one.

A.C.E. van T.

Re: Relative research (Landstorm, ID185)

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 18 May 2011, 00:08

I/ Landstorm was send to Beeringen (Albert Canal) north of Hasselt Belgium
II / Landstorm was send to Merksem (Albert Canal) north of Antwerp Belgium
Kampfgruppe Chil was first send to Beeringen and later to Merksem.
On october 29 K.G. Chill was positioned from north 'De Zoom ' (Bergen op Zoom) to Roosendaal
4 Canadian Armoured Division was positioned south of "De Zoom' up to Wouwse Plantage from there the British Polar Bears.
So presuming he became POW at Roosendaal,escaped joint K.G. Chill again.
And send to another unit .
K.G. Chill reorgenized continuosly due to heavy losses
In beginining of november part of K.G. Chill retraited to Schouwen-Duivenland(Zeeland) part to Steenbergen and later Moerdijk.

As K.G. Chill was drafting vast amounts of troops due to heavy losses it's quite possible that he was part of this unit.
On october 27 1944 Fallschirmjager Regiment 6 was taken out of the HKL at "De Zoom"to be send to 70 I.D. om Walcheren by boat.
It never happend.
Remaining parts of 85 I.D. were send as replacement such as a Battalion of Fallschirmjager Ersatz und Ausbildungs Regiment Hermann Göring and al kinds of other troops und command of Lt.Col. Dreyer C.O. of Fs. E.u.A. Rgt H.G.
So we can rule out that he was part of FJR6 at that time.
He probably is not captured in Breda but later send there.

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 24 Jun 2011, 21:13

I found a document yesterday at NIOD that my grandfather was sent to Lauenburg on 28.10.43. At the time he was a grenadier and served the II./1Rgt. I presume he joined the same battalion after the training which ended in March '44. So far large parts of his story is confirmed by official documents.

Still leaves the question why he had a Heer rank and served a non-existent unit on his capture card.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 25 Jun 2011, 02:55

Go to
http://www.waffen-ss.nl
Eenheden
Landstorm Nederland
Oprichting

There you find Grenadier Rgt.1

About your info :
The HKL on October 29 1944 was just North of Bergen op Zoom( NL)
If he was in Zeeland it must have been before the 29th
The only possibillity is then that he was West of Angus 1 and 2 (2nd Canadian Infantry Division) during the Battle for Woensdrecht
Maybe on the railwayline ,Reimerswaalweg or even somewhat South of that.

ErwinZ

Post by ErwinZ » 01 Aug 2020, 23:03

Several years later I’m still doing research. Many archives in several countries later this is what I got.

He was a member of the NSB and WA. NSB block leader in his region. Also attended summer camps in Lunteren.
Joined the Landwacht (later Landstorm) in Weert in July 1943.
Was send to SS Unterführerschule Lauenburg from 28th October 1943 till 15 March 1944.
Returned to the 6.Kompanie (SS-Hstuf. Johan Ilcken) at Veenendaal where he stayed until September.
The 6.Kompanie was transferred to Belgium under SS-Kampfgruppe Müller. The Kompanie was involved in battle at Kapellen, Herentals and Aart. The last position was at the road Geel - Rhetie. The allies advanced on both flanks and the unit had to retreat. During that retreat he was separated from his group and was eventually captured at the road between Chaam and Ginniken.
Was taken to a POW camp in Belgium Transferred to England at March 8 1945. Stayed at Moorby camp, Revesby, Boston and Toft Hall camp, Knutsford, Cheshire.
After the return to the Netherlands he went to several camps including Westerbork until his release.

This is a short write-up of course. But most of his verbal story has been confirmed by archive documents. But the SS-Unterführerschule Lauenburg is still a big mystery to me, I can’t find anything in archives. Also would like to know if there’s something in the UK archives about POW camps.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”