731st Heeres Panzerjager Abt.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
David C. Clarke

731st Heeres Panzerjager Abt.

Post by David C. Clarke » 23 Apr 2002, 00:01

Hi Folks, this question has become my annual "bang my head against the wall" question:
Can anyone supply the name of the commander (or of any officers) in the 731st Heeres Panzerjager Abt. around July or August of 1944. This unit was equipped with Hetzers and sent to Army Group Centre. In fact, it was the first unit that employed Hetzers in combat on the Eastern Front. Sadly, none of my references give any hint of the names of this unit's personell.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Very Best Regards, David :)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 24 Apr 2002, 01:33

Well, unfortunately I can't help you, but I saw in another post that you felt a little bummed by the fact that no one had even responded. So here you go! ;)

~Henric Edwards

David C. Clarke

HEh Heh!

Post by David C. Clarke » 24 Apr 2002, 01:48

Ha Hah! Thank You Henric! Yes, I was/am bummed out. Excerpts from the report from this unit regarding its Hetzers have appeared on the "Achtung Panzer" site and in the recent New Vanguard "Hetzer" booklet by Osprey. It was the very first unit to employ the vehicle in combat and since the report survives, I find it hard to believe that no one has ever run into the name of the officer who wrote it or the name of any other officer who served in the unit. Rant! Rant! Rave! Rave! Rant! Okay, I'm better now and thank you again. Cheers, D :wink:

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Apr 2002, 22:07

Hi David,

Henric has beaten me in trying to cheer you up and I hope you don't get to excited when see this post. I havn't looked yet in regards to your question (one for the weekend I think) but I'm interested in this Osprey title you mentioned. I havn't seen it in any bookshops in the UK.

:D From the Shire

PS: I must get round to sending you some Tessin in the post like I promised ages ago :oops:

David C. Clarke

Creulty, Creulty!

Post by David C. Clarke » 24 Apr 2002, 22:34

Ah Rich, like Janis Joplin said, "I think you're toying with my affections!" But, you're still a buddy. Check the link below. Cheers, D
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/images/ ... 1354AS.JPG

David C. Clarke

Hey Rich, Another Good One!

Post by David C. Clarke » 25 Apr 2002, 00:52

This Hetzer softcover is a must-have. Cheers, D

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 27 Apr 2002, 22:13

David

Have you read/heard about the Hetzer Ace SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Jakob Meyer?

Posted a thread on the awards forum, he was awarded the Panzer Assault Badge in Gold for 200 combat engagements, though doubt exists over this medal's authenticity.

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 27 Apr 2002, 23:35

I wish i had a Hetzer. :(

David C. Clarke

From The Shire!

Post by David C. Clarke » 28 Apr 2002, 01:54

Hey Rich, could you tell us more about Jakob Meyer? Thanks Buddy. Cheers, D :D

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 28 Apr 2002, 20:46

Firstly my apologies it should have read Lobmeyer not Meyer-Sorry

Born in 1918 Lobmeyer first assignement was within the SS Artillerie Regiment of the SS-VF. He then transferred to the Stug.Abt of Das Reich before the Balkan campaign. He won the IC 1st class in July'41 in Russia.

Wounded at Jelna he was evacuated and upon recovery was transferred to 5th SS Wiking Divion, within the Stug.Abt. After a years combat with 5th SS he was wounded again in April 42 and upon his recovery this time was transferred to the Stug.Abt LSSAH, fighting at Taganrog & Kharkov. During the winter of 42-43 he was twice more wounded.

Again like a stuck record he was sent to SS.Stug.Abt 505 and within a few months became adjutant of Aufklar.Abt 505 with the rank of Obersturmmfuhrer. He finally arrived in August '44 at Stug school at Burg, but within a month had moved on to SS-Junkerschule at Prague as a tatics instructor.

On December 25th he was given command of the 15th SS Divisions Stug.Abt equipped with Hetzers and the first action was around Danzig. His first action was to stop a Russian thrust towards Frankfurt on Oder which he succeeded at.

On Feb 15th'45 Lobmeyers Abt was merged with SS Jagd Pz Abt z.B.v 562 on which he was promoted again to Hauptsturmfuhrer. This force came under direct control of HG 'Weichsel'. Following a breakthrough on Feb 18th Lobmeyers Hetzers were tasked with flank protection og the HG R/F. In the wooded area east of Guben his Hetzers destroyed some 30 T-34's. Lobmeyer was awarded the German GC in Gold on March 15th and the Close combat clasp in Bronze the next day.

The Abt was pulled back into reserve to await the Russian attack on Berlin. On April 16th the Abt was thrown into the line south of Frankfurt to steady the line. Soon he was in command of KG Lobmeyer with some 2,000men south of the Berlin-Franfurt highway, thus enabling v SS Gebirgs Korps & XI SS Panzer Korps to link up to there north. On April 30th he recieved the KC.

The Abt withdrew westwards inflicting heavy losses on the Russians. Meeting up with the remains of SS Sch.Pz. Abt 502 near Halbe the remaining Hetzers & Tigers fought until the logistic train fell down and vehicles were destroyed before capture. Lobmeyer was awarded the O/L to the KC but never received them due to the chaotic situation.

His unit destroyed the last vehicles on May 1st and made there way home. Lobmeyer was one of the few-possibly only known recipients of the Panzer Assault Badge in Gold for 200 combat engagements.

Hope this helps David.

Also David I'm having an identity crisis as you keep calling me Rich-Why?

David C. Clarke

Great Information!

Post by David C. Clarke » 28 Apr 2002, 22:24

An excellent account, uh Cheshire. Look, have pity on a quickly aging
Commissar and tell me who I have you mixed up with--wait, I've got it, I keep confusing you with Richard Murphy, Sorry, Immensely Sorry! :oops: :oops: :oops: Cheers, D

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”