SS-IG Ausb.Btl. 2 at Arnhem

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Re: SS-IG Ausb.Btl. 2 at Arnhem

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 11 Jun 2011 16:39

Revellations wrote:Jos,
What is the date of this please? I only ask as Eberwein was commanding a battalion of Lipperts SS-Unterfuhrerschule during the Battle of Arnhem so wanted to know when this was thanks?

Cheers

Scott
Scott, If you look on the feldgrau link posted bu Simperator you'll see that Eberwein's "Stab" from SS-IG Ausbbildungs 2 was used as the battalion HQ for the Arnhem unit .
Alan

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 11 Jun 2011 23:18

Ok - so do you feel like your original question has been answered? I would assume not. Only because Eberwein commanded the II Battalion of SS-Unterfuhrerschule 'Arnheim' during the battlion. So what happened to the men and equipment of SS-IG Btl 2...well I assume it was incorporated into the SS units fighting in the West but there is nothing definitive that I have found yet (I havent really done much research on SS-IG Btl 2) that would prove this.

As a passionate historian of the German side of the Battle of Arnhem, I find it very frustrating that I can find detailed order of battles of the units that would fight in arnhem 2-3 months before the battle but actually during the battle it is very difficult to get an accurate picture. Now I understand that those units changed day by day and would have been a waste of time updating some order of battle during the fighting but still....frustrating for me!!

Cheers

Scott

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 11 Jun 2011 23:24

Alanmccoubrey wrote:
Revellations wrote:Jos,
What is the date of this please? I only ask as Eberwein was commanding a battalion of Lipperts SS-Unterfuhrerschule during the Battle of Arnhem so wanted to know when this was thanks?

Cheers

Scott
Scott, If you look on the feldgrau link posted bu Simperator you'll see that Eberwein's "Stab" from SS-IG Ausbbildungs 2 was used as the battalion HQ for the Arnhem unit .
Yes I know this post. The alarm units that are listed are dated June 1944 and I know a lot changed between June and September 1944 so I take it with a grain of salt. I agree that the Stab of SS-IG Btl 2 would have been the sane stab of Btl Eberwein during the battle...it makes sense. I know, as a current Army officer, that I would take my Headquarters with me as I know how it works etc. I just want to know where the rest of the unit is?

Scott

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 12 Jun 2011 09:34

Hello Gents

Personel I think that a complete order of units during the Battle of Arnhem is a utopia , because troops
from all Army branches were rusched in during the Battle and were placed under the command of existing
batalions . Some were just small units but also larger formations were arriving during these days of the Battle .
So a complete Gleiderung you will never find , because it changed every few hours .

Regards Jos

Kriegsberichter

Post by Kriegsberichter » 12 Jun 2011 10:13

As Eberwein coy's were split up along the coast he had only a tacktical roll so when the time came they needed someone who could command a battalion he came into the picture.
The 3 Coy's of his unit were split up as already mentioned along the Dutch cost and put under command of the local unit commanders.

One of the Coy's was put under command Lippert when he moved to take up defensive positions along the Waal at the beginning of September 1944.
There is evidence that 2. Kp was put under command 10.SS Pz. Division and fought near Nijmegen and was later (25th September I think it was) back under Tettau to take up positions along the Neder-Rijn near Wageningen/Grebbeberg.

The last Coy I have no info on. It is possible that it moved with Eberwein on the 18th from the Dutch coast towards Ede to fight the British Airborne troops, there is also a possibility that it remained in the coastdefence positions but this is not likely.

Interesting attachment Jopaerya of the layout of SS-IG Ausb Btl. 2 for the time of 1 July.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 12 Jun 2011 10:28

Hello

On the T 314 Roll 1625, 63289/4 Frame 866 date 01-08-1944

Batl. Eberwein was composed of the

4./SS U.S. Scheveningen
7./SS U.S. Scheveningen
8./SS U.S. Scheveningen

please note the same units 4./ , 7./ and 8./ on the list of 01-07-1944

Regards Jos

Jampe

Post by Jampe » 12 Jun 2011 10:40

Kriegsberichter wrote:As Eberwein coy's were split up along the coast he had only a tacktical roll so when the time came they needed someone who could command a battalion he came into the picture.
The 3 Coy's of his unit were split up as already mentioned along the Dutch cost and put under command of the local unit commanders.

One of the Coy's was put under command Lippert when he moved to take up defensive positions along the Waal at the beginning of September 1944.
There is evidence that 2. Kp was put under command 10.SS Pz. Division and fought near Nijmegen and was later (25th September I think it was) back under Tettau to take up positions along the Neder-Rijn near Wageningen/Grebbeberg.

The last Coy I have no info on. It is possible that it moved with Eberwein on the 18th from the Dutch coast towards Ede to fight the British Airborne troops, there is also a possibility that it remained in the coastdefence positions but this is not likely.

Interesting attachment Jopaerya of the layout of SS-IG Ausb Btl. 2 for the time of 1 July.
'
Was it not a panzerjäger kompanie from SS-Pz.J.Ausb.Bat.2 that was deployed at Nijmegen,
under command of the 10.SS Pz.Division?

Regards Jampe

Kriegsberichter

Post by Kriegsberichter » 12 Jun 2011 10:57

Sorry Jampe, have looked into my files and you are right !

Jampe

Post by Jampe » 12 Jun 2011 11:10

No worries!
You don´t happen to have the organisational chart for this battalion? I have read in the history of 82:nd Airborne Division
that they encountered selfpropelled guns in nijmegen, which were identified as "old french tanks"!
Could it have been a Marder I, which I believe was based on the old Hotchkiss tank? Had this battalion selfpropelled guns?

Regards Jampe

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 12 Jun 2011 11:55

Revellations wrote:
Yes I know this post. The alarm units that are listed are dated June 1944 and I know a lot changed between June and September 1944 so I take it with a grain of salt. I agree that the Stab of SS-IG Btl 2 would have been the sane stab of Btl Eberwein during the battle...it makes sense. I know, as a current Army officer, that I would take my Headquarters with me as I know how it works etc. I just want to know where the rest of the unit is?

Scott
Scott, That question too has already been answered by Jos.

"Just for the record

1./SS-I.G. was attached to SS-Ausb. und Ers. Btl. 4 ( Btl. Mattusch )
2./SS-I.G. was attached to SS-Unteroffizier-Schule Arnhem ( Btl. Lippert )
3./SS-I.G. was attached to SS-Ausb. und Ers. Btl. 12 ( Btl. Kraft )

Info = Nara T 314 , Roll 1625, 63289/4 Frame 903"
Alan

spacecabbie

Post by spacecabbie » 28 Jul 2019 16:34

Hi all,

just posting here since this has been the main info about SS-IG Ausb.Btl. 2 i could find my grandfather was in this unit if anyone has any microfilm or documents that lists personnel or any thing about either (h. koekkoek or K haufe)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”