1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Vesna

1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10

Post by Vesna » 22 Jun 2011 21:03

Hello everyone,
Please, can anyone answer me the several basic questions that refer to history of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 ?
- Was 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 composed of German people or not? How old were they?
- What concretely means that 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 acted in Eastern front and in Slovenia?
- What was the main purpose/function of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10?
- Were the members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 the guards at camp?
- Is it known what is the meaning of mark 37718B? Is it "address" of any military formation that related to 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10?
- What were the biggest military operations of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 in World War II?
- In short, how can we describe a military activity of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 until 5 July 1943?
- Did 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 take part in the Battle of Kursk, the secret name of the offensive - Zitadelle (July 5 - August 23)?
- Was 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 a part of 1. SS-, 2. SS- or 3. SS- armored grenadier divisions in Ukraine in autumn-winter of the 1943?
- Was 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 a part of the Army of South when Army left the eastern Ukraine and began to retreat across the Dnieper river, in September 1943?
- When did 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 experience the highest casualties?
- Were members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 treated at a German military hospital, 3 / 603, in Shitomir during 1943? From which part of battlefield they were transported to hospital? Where was their troop then?
- Were members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 transported to hospital only by train or some other way? Was delivery by a train in conjunction with the weight of their health condition?
- Is it possible to find out which diseases of the patients and members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 were treated in German military hospital 3/603, in Shitomir during 1943?
- Was an epidemic in 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 during the period July - September of 1943?
- Were members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 who were wounded on the first day of Zitadelle offensive, treated at a German military hospital, 3 / 603, in Shitomir?
- Can be found somewhere the report or list of wounded members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 on the first day of Zitadelle, 5 July 1943?
- Can be found somewhere the names of members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 who were killed, wounded, missing or captured after September 1943?
- Does exist anywhere the list of members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 (their name, rank, date of entry into service, branch, any feature ...)?
- Were any major military operation of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 with many killed, wounded, missing or captured after September 1943?
- What was the end of soldier's fate of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10?
Your grateful, V.

Simperator

Re: 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10

Post by Simperator » 22 Jun 2011 22:52

Hi Vesna,

A lot of questions, and I can't help you with every one of them. But:

-Was 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 composed of German people or not? How old were they?

Yes, these units were usually composed of Germans, but it could be that there were temporarily some volunteers attached (f.e. Cossacks etc.).
The unit you're talking about was Polizei-Bataillon 45 before it was incorporated into the Regiment (I./SS-Pol.Rgt. 10 means 1st Batallion of the unit).
The Batallions with the numbers 251-256 and 301-325 were to be the "elite" of the police, so they received the mass of young recruits. So with your Batallion we can assume it received the older men.

-What concretely means that 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 acted in Eastern front and in Slovenia?

These units were created mainly to take control of occupied areas, to control them, to hunt partisans, and yes, to shoot jews, communists etc.
At the end of the war, however, they were sometimes used as frontline units.

-What was the main purpose/function of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10?

It was a part of a Regiment, and the Regiment consisted of:

"Ein Erlass des RFSS und Chef des Deutschen Polizei vom 9.Juli 1942 befahl die Zusammenfassung sämtlicher Polizei- und Reserve-Polizei-Bataillone zumotorisierten "Polizei-Regimentern" (jedes Regiment mit 3-4 Bataillonen und Nachrichten-, Panzerspäh-, Panzerjäger-Kompanie) .
Die Regimentseinheiten dieser Verbände setzten sich zusammen aus:
einer Nachrichten-Kompanie (motorisiert)
ein Pionier-Zug (verlastet)
einer Panzerkraftwagen-Kompanie (vorgesehen, aber nicht bei allen Rgtern vorhanden)
einer Panzerjäger-Kompanie (verlastet)
Die bisherigen Bataillonsnummern fielen fort. Die Bataillone der Regimenter bestanden aus
Stab
Nachrichten-Zug
3 Kompanien
1 schwere Kompanie aus 1 sMG-Zug und 1 schw.Grantwerfer-Zug"
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... izei-R.htm

-Were the members of 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 the guards at camp?

Do you mean concentration camps? Police were usually not used for that, because they were motorized units (mobile) and not static ones. The guards usually were SS-Totenkopfstandarten and local helpers (f.e. Ukrainians etc.)

-Is it known what is the meaning of mark 37718B? Is it "address" of any military formation that related to 1. SS-Polizei-Regiment 10?

This is the so-called "Feldpostnummer" of the Batallion. It has to do with the field mail service and each unit had a unique number. Here you can see it:
"37718 [Einkreis Rundstempel] 28.2.1941-29.7.1941 Stab und 1.-4. Kompanie Polizei-Bataillon 45 8.9.1942-11.3.1943 Stab I und 1.-3. Kompanie Polizei-Regiment 1 5.9.1944 Stab I und 1.-4. Kompanie Polizei-Regiment 10."
http://www.stampsx.com/ratgeber/stempel-datenbank.php

That's all I can help you with for now.
Here's some overwiew:
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2917

And here is a good site which reviews many books about the Ordnungspolizei, I've found for you Pol.Bat.45 and its crimes, below links to the books where the unit is mentioned:
http://www.ordnungspolizei.org/index.ph ... 55&lang=en

Regards,
Simon

Simperator

Post by Simperator » 22 Jun 2011 23:25

I just found out: Pol.-Bat. 45 was until 1942 part of Pol.-Rgt. Süd and this was part of Sonderkommando 4a of Einsatzgruppe C and took part in the massacre of Babi Yar 1941.

Here's a general overview of the organisation ot the Regiment, by the way:
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2917

Regards,
Simon

murx

Post by murx » 23 Jun 2011 00:48

I/10 was a SS-Police Bataillon which came from the SS Police Bataillon 45. The SS Police Regiments were obviously something different.

The list of bataillons is attached. To the next posting is attached a list of the regiments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

murx

Post by murx » 23 Jun 2011 00:51

REGIMENTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simperator

Post by Simperator » 23 Jun 2011 10:48

murx wrote:I/10 was a SS-Police Bataillon which came from the SS Police Bataillon 45. The SS Police Regiments were obviously something different.

The list of bataillons is attached. To the next posting is attached a list of the regiments.
Yes. A Police Regiment contained 3-4 Battalions, you know. And to build these Regiments, the existing Battalions were used (so, in our case, Pol.-Bat. 45 became I./SS-Polizei-Regiment 10 in July of 1942). So in your own post in the spot where Pol.-Bat. 45 is mentioned, you can read: disbanded in 1943. This is because it was incorporated as the first Batallion in the new SS-Polizei-Regiment 10. :milwink:

Regards,
Simon

Vesna

Post by Vesna » 24 Jun 2011 17:19

Hi!
I wish to thank Simon and murx for giving me their own time and knowledge to answer some of my questions. For me, some answers open up new themes in an existing main topic. If You do not mind, I'll put a few more questions.

-Were Polizei Bataillon 45 and after July 1942 - 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10 (if I correctly understood the previous explanation) composed of Germans from Croatia and Vojvodina?
Whether they were some volunteers temporarily attached?

- When were they mobilized in the composition of the units above?

- What was the first recorded date of mobilization of the Germans from Croatia and Vojvodina in the composition of the German army in World War II?

- Did they participate in before mentioned war crimes, such as B. Yar?

- What is the greatest war crime for which it is considered that they are responsible, of course, in the history of Polizei Bataillon 45, then 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10 and finally, the Einsatzgruppen C?

- Have the Germans from Croatia and Vojvodina crossed the total way of the unit since its inception to the end of the war?

- Did exist good shooters or athletes among the soldiers of Polizei Bataillon 45, and then 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10?

- What did soldier need to do to become an Unterwachtmeister?

- What was a duty of an Unterwachtmeister in his troupe?

- What were the typical duties of an Unterwachtmeister in the 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10?

- Besides the attached document about Polizei Bataillon 45 incorporated in 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10, with oberstlt. Kellner- is there a list of names of ordinary soldiers?

- Does exist any percentage data that shows how many Germans from Croatia and Vojvodina took part in Germany's armed forces and how many were killed in war in that forces?

Regards, Vesna. :roll:

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 07 Mar 2012 21:07

Hi Vesna,

I got to your post though a link on another forum. Hopefully you're still interested in SS-Pol.Rgt.10. I've stumbled on some info that might answer some of your questions. The info comes from the interrogation of a deserter from the Regiment who joined the Slovene partisans in 1944.

Gumringer (born 1924 in Vukovar, Croatia). In November 1942 he was drafted as a "Volksdeutsche" and sent to the Polizei Lehr Bataillon Dresden. As he stated the battalion was composed entirely from "Croats". It had 4 companies, each with 120 men. In February 1943 they selected 400 men from the battalion and sent them to the Eastern Front, to the SS-Pol.Rgt.10 and a smaller part to the SS-Pol.Rgt.11. Gumringer was detailed to the III.btl. He and his unit didn't see much action in the first 12 months. But in the following months it suffered very high losses (70%) as it was engaged in the frontline combat. In May 1944 the regiment was reformed and refreshed mainly with the personnel from the abandoned Police posts in Russia. When it arrived in Gorizia it received additional personnel from various nationalities like Romanians, Hungarians, Ukranians and Frenchmen. When stationed in area of Gorizia his unit had a very low morale.

Marko

Vesna

Post by Vesna » 08 Mar 2012 22:26

Hi, Marko!
Thank you for information and good will to help me in my researching.
I am very interested in 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10. Especially, for it's part composed of Germans born in Croatia and Vojvodina ( ILOK, KULA, VRBAS...) as descendants of Germans who settled that area in 18 century.
I would like to know when and where did SS - Pol. Rgt. 10 suffer the highest losses, in period after August - September 1943, in general and particularly for Donauschwaben in this unit? Also, what was a war path of 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10 from Ukraine toward Italy? Does exist any mass-tomb with names of dead soldiers of 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10 on that path?
Vesna Z.

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 10 Mar 2012 20:46

Hi Vesna,

As I mentioned above the regiment (and with it the Donauschwaben) suffered the heighest casulaties during the winter 1944 retreat from Ukraine, where it fought as part of Gruppe Prützmann/Brenner in the battles at Rovno, Dubno and Brody. In May 1944 it was pulled from the front and sent to Przeworsk for three weeks of rest and recuperation and from there via Vienna to Gorizia. You can get some further info on the regiment's operations on this link: http://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/threa ... eadid=7818 .
Does exist any mass-tomb with names of dead soldiers of 1. SS Polizei - Regiment 10 on that path?
I wouldn't know, but if you have some names and you need to know where they were killed, you can use http://www.volksbund.de. That's all I have.

Vesna

Post by Vesna » 10 Mar 2012 23:56

Thank You so much.
Sorry for: Does exist...
It would be better: Is there...

Vesna

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”