Who is this Ardennes soldier?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Starinov

Who is this Ardennes soldier?

Post by Starinov » 12 May 2004 12:51

To whom it may come, Greetings:

Does anybody know who is this soldier (Source: Corbis)?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 12 May 2004 13:33

This is a well known photo still from a cine film. It is reported to be a grenadier of 1. SS-Panzer Division pictured near Poteau on 18 December 1944. There are several other stills that compliment this particular shot, which was also turned into a famous painting by George A. Campbell.
Max

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 12 May 2004 14:25

This disscussion might be helpfull:

viewtopic.php?t=26538&highlight=pallud

Cheers/Juha

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 12 May 2004 14:51

Thanks Juha

Here is more info about this guy:

This man was in Kampfgruppe Hansen of the 2nd Company, I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 1 LAH. His name is Walter Armbrusch. He was a MG-42 gunner with the SS-Schütze rank

Camp Upshur

Post by Camp Upshur » 13 May 2004 09:11

Gentlemen

This is NOT repeat NOT Wally A. This has gotten out of hand and is a good example of how this otherwise credible forum is in fact stiffling our shared intention of historical research.

I say again , I personally know Wally, This internet myth which is being perpetuated here , has its origins in one of our most credible members making an incorrect comment on this forum of information which I provided (search the name for those so interested ).

As I have stated in refutation before, there is a Wally, he was in the LAH, he did carry a MG-42, he was in the Ardennes Offensive, BUT THIS IS NOT HIM.

This 'famous' photo does deserve to be researched to determine who it is of. Perpetuation of incorrest opinion only chills further historical query.

Lastly, I ask once again. If anyone has any information on Wally please post it, He has only one photo which his mother secretly kept and after the Dachau internment, very little documentation remaining of himself !

Respectfully
Camp Upshur

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 14 May 2004 14:57

Can you prove that it is not him? Can you post a picture of the real Walter Armbrusch?

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 May 2004 15:09

Starinov wrote:Can you prove that it is not him? Can you post a picture of the real Walter Armbrusch?

I think I know the answer you are going to get!!

Timo

Post by Timo » 15 May 2004 08:36

Veterans from SS AA 1 identified members of their outfit in the Poteau photos (Stiewe, Priess, Gilbert) but didn't recognize this Grenadier or his buddies. This could mean that we're indeed dealing with men from Kampfgruppe Hansen here, but who ever was the fiirst who came with the also wide spread info that this guy is from 2. Kompanie / PzGren.Rgt. 1 is also a mystery.

BTW, same goes for the pictured Oberscharführer and Unterscharführer at Kaiserbaracke. Several book give their names as Ochsner and Persin, but who was the first to mention these names? The Schwimmwagen suggests 3./SS AA 1 LSSAH but veterans from SS AA 1 have no clue. Some people suggest 2./Art.Rgt. 1 LSSAH but they are not listed as members of this unit.

Timo

Post by Timo » 15 May 2004 09:50

As has been discussed in this thread before, the man in this photo is not Armbrusch. Facts got mixed up in the past due to a misunderstanding about a photo. He can be seen in a photo taken at another location during the Ardennes battles but he was not at Poteau and this is not him.

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 17 May 2004 14:59

Must say it is ironic... This guy is world famous thanks to those pictures (like Königtiger 222 is) and we are unable to indentify him....

Joms

Re: Who is this?

Post by Joms » 25 Mar 2008 18:58

i Think i know who the famous soldier are.

....and why do you not inform us ?? :P :roll: :wink:
You will be welcome as a new member, but without a meaningful information this is a little bit frustrating !!

Your well-meaning moderator

Joms

Re: Who is this?

Post by Joms » 26 Mar 2008 20:21

Ok . If i say that i pretty shure of his name. Where can i get more information about him :)

I am 98% shure. But dont want go out with it if i am not 100. If i understand right no one officiell dont no his name?

Blue Jay

Ardennes : name & unit of Rottenführer with Sturmgewehr 44 ?

Post by Blue Jay » 01 Jul 2011 17:43

Hello,

I am interested to know if the Rottenführer with Sturmgewehr 44 who was filmed and photographed at Poteau in the Ardennes on december 18, 1944, has been identified, and to what unit he really belonged.

He seems to have been in the Leibstandarte, but some sources (books : Pallud, others, ...) say he was in 2./I./SS Pz Gren Regt 1, of Kampfgruppe Hansen, other sources (internet forums) says he was in Stab Kp/SS Aufkl Abt 1, of Kampfgruppe Knittel ?

Although the man in the picture is a Rottenführer by rank (clearly visible in the photographs), he has been on some forums given the identity of Unterscharführer Josef Pries of the cyclists platoon of the Stabs company of SS Aufkl Abt 1 ... why did he wear the wrong rank insignia ? was there a shortage in collar tabs with ss rank insignia in 1944 ?

Can anyone help me, does anyone have information about this soldier ? his photo appears in many books and magazines, and he's also, in terms of military scale modelling, possibly the most miniaturised German soldier ever (at least a dozen miniature figures in different scales exist of this man)

thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: Ardennes : name & unit of Rottenführer with Sturmgewehr

Post by Christoph Awender » 01 Jul 2011 18:44

Hello,

Just out of personal interest.... very frequently people ask for names of soldiers from these series of movies. Why are people frequently ask for these few seconds out of thousands and thousands of other photos and movies with soldiers?
Why are you interested especially in this person?

/Christoph

Blue Jay

Re: Ardennes : name & unit of Rottenführer with Sturmgewehr

Post by Blue Jay » 01 Jul 2011 19:15

Hello Christoph,

in all honesty : my hobby is scale modelling, and my interest is making scale models of tanks and figures of the Ardennes Offensive, in particular the Northern side of the Battle of the Bulge, so I mainly make models of vehicles and figures of the LAH and the HJ.

what the reason is that other persons ask for info about the men that were filmed at Poteau, I honestly don't know, personally I just want to have some historically accurate background info for a model figure that I am currently assembling and painting. So I was wondering, what are the latest insights re. Poteau, which unit of the LAH was it that was photographed and filmed there, did the man in this photo also belong to that unit ? Is it indeed a Rottenführer of 2./I./SS Pz Gren Regt 1 ? or not ?

Kind regards.

Johan/Belgium

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”