Kampfgruppe Wolff, circa Feb.1945 - Help please

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Rob Johnson

Kampfgruppe Wolff, circa Feb.1945 - Help please

Post by Rob Johnson » 22 Aug 2011, 02:09

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me find some information on a "Kampfgruppe Wolff" listed in a Soldbuch I own. It appears in a security check dated 01.Feb.1945 and is signed by what appears to be a Oberleutnant "Rath" or "Roth" (please see attached scan).

The soldier was a Panzerjäger in Pz.Jg.Abt.129 and just before the KG Wolff entry was made he was given special leave to return home (to Nürnberg) due to his house being damaged by allied bombing (leave entry dated 21.Jan.1945, Pz.Jg.Abt.129).

He was wounded - I'm guessing with Kampfgruppe Wolff - in late March 1945 with a gunshot through one of his lungs and on 27.March was admitted to Gen.Komp.278. On 3.May 1945 medically discharged from military service.

If anyone has any info or can help out in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Attachments
scan.jpg

Rob Johnson

Re: Kampfgruppe Wolff, circa Feb.1945 - Help please

Post by Rob Johnson » 22 Aug 2011, 02:10

Here's the discharge entry:
Attachments
scan_02.jpg

Rudolf44

Post by Rudolf44 » 22 Aug 2011, 20:42

Hello,

I think it is the Kampfgruppe formed by Oberstleutnant Joachim-Helmut Wolff, commandant of Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Feldherrnhalle" who escaped from Budapest in February 1945.

Rudolf

Rob Johnson

Post by Rob Johnson » 23 Aug 2011, 03:09

Rudolf44 wrote:Hello,

I think it is the Kampfgruppe formed by Oberstleutnant Joachim-Helmut Wolff, commandant of Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Feldherrnhalle" who escaped from Budapest in February 1945.

Rudolf

Rudolf,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the assistance. This soldier was supposedly home on leave in Nürnberg (21.Jan.1945) shortly before the KG Wolff entry was made in his Soldbuch which puts him pretty far away from the fighting in Hungary, not to mention the time of the breakout from Budapest....

A very good friend of mine who saw this thread emailed me the attached image (see below) which identifies a Kampfgruppe Wolff under the command of the 6.Armee, Heeresgruppe Süd circa March/April 1945, right around when this soldier was wounded. At this time FHH was also part of HG Süd but with the 8.Armee, so I don't think it can be the same Wolff (?) you mentioned.

This is definitely a start, and again I thank you (both) for your help.

Can anyone shed some light on Genesenden-Kompanie 278 ?

If anyone else has info which might help positively ID exactly which KG Wolff this soldier was fighting with when he was wounded I would really appreciate it seeing it posted here.

Thanks!
Rob
Attachments
download-1.jpg

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 25 Aug 2011, 10:06

Hello
I found a Ka.Gru.Wolff on the 12.04.1945.
She was the stv. Gen.Kom. XVIII subject.

Jan

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 10 Aug 2019, 18:10

Rob Johnson wrote:
23 Aug 2011, 03:09
... the attached image (see below) which identifies a Kampfgruppe Wolff under the command of the 6.Armee, Heeresgruppe Süd circa March/April 1945, right around when this soldier was wounded.
Which Publication would this be?

Best
Halfdan S.

carmilhan

Post by carmilhan » 12 Aug 2019, 14:07

Hello all,

I find the situation a little confusing!
If the wanted soldier fought in February/March 1945 in Hungary/Austria in a Kampfgruppe "Wolff" and was wounded there, .... how did he get then in April 1945 in a military hospital to Hamburg-Harburg(!!), almost 1000 kilometers across Germany ???

The only Kampfgruppe "Wolf(f)" I know, existed in the Graz area with the 6th Army (General Balck) from 1 April 1945.
Lieutenant Colonel Wolf(f) (not GemMaj!!) was a Panzerabwehr officer in the staff of the 6th Army.
From April 2, 1945, this Kampfgruppe - consisting of convalescents of the military hospitals in Graz, Fahr-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Abteilung 17, 1 company of the Panzerjäger-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Abteilung 48, II. Abteilung Fallschirm-Artillerie-Regiment 10 as well as splinter groups of the 1st and 3rd Panzer-Division- was in combat in the Feldbach area against troops of the XIII. russian Panzer Korps.
The Kampfgruppe was under the command of the Befehlshaber des Wehrkreis XVIII (General Julius Ringel).

Best
carmilhan

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 12 Aug 2019, 17:08

Hey Rob,

There is a stamp over the entry with "Kampfgruppe Wolff" and it's a unit stamp, with a Feldpostnummer slightly visible within the stamp. Could you possibly make out the numbers? The numbers are just over the last two letters "pe" of the word "Kampfgruppe". If you can make out the Feldpostnummer it will greatly help in identifying this unit.

Best regards
Blanusa

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”