SS-AAs in Ardennes

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tolga Alkan

SS-AAs in Ardennes

Post by Tolga Alkan » 13 Mar 2003, 13:04

I just want to know,
SS-AA1 and SS-AA2 named,Kampfgruppe Knittel and Kampfgruppe Kraug during Ardennes.Why were they a Kampfgruppe?So this question to Timo.

Timo

Post by Timo » 13 Mar 2003, 15:43

Hallo Tolga,

Kampfgruppe Knittel, also known as Schnelle Gruppe Knittel (fast group Knittel) received orders to follow one of the leading Kampfgruppen, the one from SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 (Peiper) or the one from SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 (Hansen), without enemy contact until the northern exit of the Hohen Venn. After that they had to take in a quick thrust, by avoiding all villages and enemy resistance, one of the Meuse bridges south of Liège, in order to allow the rest of the LAH to cross the river.

The Aufklärungsabteilung was the usual candidate for such a task, because (on paper) they are equipped with light but fast vehicles.

Off course this was just the plan. The Kampfgruppe, instead of making a run for the Meuse, was send back to Stavelot from La Gleize by Peiper on 19.12 after American troops had recaptured Stavelot, which meant that the supply route of the LAH troops west of the Amblève River was cut. Unable to perform this task, due to dominating American artillery and increasing pressure from American tank units, Kampfgruppe Knittel withdrew, together with Peipers force, to the eastern bank of the Amblève on 25.12.

Hope this helps.

Timo

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 13 Mar 2003, 20:45

Thanks Timo,
Yeah it is helping much so and i would like to know something about your book project.Do you want to write some news about it?

Tolga

Timo

Post by Timo » 13 Mar 2003, 21:30

Tolga Alkan wrote:Thanks Timo,
Yeah it is helping much so and i would like to know something about your book project.Do you want to write some news about it?

Tolga
Not sure what you mean. Do I want to write some news about it?

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 13 Mar 2003, 22:22

If there is some news,don't you want to write them?:)

Timo

Post by Timo » 13 Mar 2003, 22:37

Aha, now I get it :)

I've been asked that question often lately. But as long as I find more information I will keep adding it to my manuscript because I want it as complete as possible. Luckily I am not a professional writer, so my income does not depend on publishing it earlier. Thus I can keep working on it. I've just written a load of letters to veterans and I hope they can add more detail to especially the Normandy and Ukraine 1944 chapter.

Regards,
Timo

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 13 Mar 2003, 22:43

Hi Tolga!

KG Krag operated in the Ardennes as a classical kampfgruppe, with great success in attack and defense.
At first, during 21.-26.12.1944 it was known as Vorausabteilung Krag (advance guard), which was formed from the following units:
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-2./SS-Stug.Abt.2,
-I.(gp.)/SS-Art.Rgt.2,
-1./SS-Pz.Pi.Btl.2
-1 le. Sanitätszug
On 24th the KG captured Salmchateau and seal the pocket east of the river Salm.

27.12. the KG was reorganized

Mark
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-III./SS-Art.Rgt.2,
-9.(gp.)/»DF« (Cronjäger),
-Div.Sturmkompanie (Tychsen),
and attached to 12.SS-Panzerdivision for an attack on Erezee/Aisne.

30.12. KG Krag returns to the division.

31.12. SS-Pz.AA2 is sent to Baraque de Fraiture and subordinated to 12.VGD. During the battles around Baraque de Fraiture (1.-13.1.1945) the KG is composed from:
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-III./»DF« (v.Eberstein),
-3./SS-Pz.Pi.Btl.2,
-1./Pz.Rgt.2.
4.1. Div.Sturmkompanie is attached to the KG.
7.1. KG Krag is subordinated to the regiment Deutschland.
For his actions at Fraiture Krag received the Oak leaves.

Mark

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 14 Mar 2003, 11:16

Timo Worst wrote:Aha, now I get it :)

I've been asked that question often lately. But as long as I find more information I will keep adding it to my manuscript because I want it as complete as possible. Luckily I am not a professional writer, so my income does not depend on publishing it earlier. Thus I can keep working on it. I've just written a load of letters to veterans and I hope they can add more detail to especially the Normandy and Ukraine 1944 chapter.

Regards,
Timo
I hope and trust on you will successful on your project.
Best Regards

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 14 Mar 2003, 11:21

Mark V. wrote:Hi Tolga!

KG Krag operated in the Ardennes as a classical kampfgruppe, with great success in attack and defense.
At first, during 21.-26.12.1944 it was known as Vorausabteilung Krag (advance guard), which was formed from the following units:
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-2./SS-Stug.Abt.2,
-I.(gp.)/SS-Art.Rgt.2,
-1./SS-Pz.Pi.Btl.2
-1 le. Sanitätszug
On 24th the KG captured Salmchateau and seal the pocket east of the river Salm.

27.12. the KG was reorganized

Mark
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-III./SS-Art.Rgt.2,
-9.(gp.)/»DF« (Cronjäger),
-Div.Sturmkompanie (Tychsen),
and attached to 12.SS-Panzerdivision for an attack on Erezee/Aisne.

30.12. KG Krag returns to the division.

31.12. SS-Pz.AA2 is sent to Baraque de Fraiture and subordinated to 12.VGD. During the battles around Baraque de Fraiture (1.-13.1.1945) the KG is composed from:
-SS-Pz.AA2,
-III./»DF« (v.Eberstein),
-3./SS-Pz.Pi.Btl.2,
-1./Pz.Rgt.2.
4.1. Div.Sturmkompanie is attached to the KG.
7.1. KG Krag is subordinated to the regiment Deutschland.
For his actions at Fraiture Krag received the Oak leaves.

Mark

Mark,
Thank you very much on SS-AA2 and helpful behaviour.It is so informal.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”