German army at Don

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
tigre

Re: German army at Don

Post by tigre » 14 Apr 2012, 17:34

Hello to all :D; a litttle more on this...............
According to Husemann the formation of the KG Schuldt (also known as SS-Gruppe Schuldt, SS-Brigade Schuldt) was officially ordered on 21.12.1942, Lehmann on the other hand gives an impression of an earlier date. Nevertheless both units were sent to the east on 5. and 7. December, each with two transports, and arriving there on 16. and 17.December. Both LSSAH transports arrived in Meshkov on schedule, I./SS-Pol.IR1 wasn't so lucky.

I./SS-Pol.IR1
1st transport: Stubaf.Dietrich with most of the Btl.Stab, 2., 3. and elements from the other two companies;
2nd transport: the remaining elements of Stab, 1. and 4. company;
Both transports arrived in Starobelsk on the 16th, but while the 2nd was left behind, the 1st one was moved forward through Millerovo to Chertkovo (18.12.), where it was unloaded and reached Meshkov in an overland march in the evening. The 2nd transport arrived in Chertkovo on 19.12. and was surprised by Russian tanks while unloading from trains. The unit immediately organized the town's defenses and beat off the attack. On the 22nd it received substantial reinforcements - KG Pohlmann - FBB, all units in Chertkovo were then organized in KG Göhler (4. and 5.(Pz)/FBB, 1. and 4./SS-Pol.IR1, I., II. and III./538, sPzJg.517, I./Pz.Gren.Rgt.63 (17.Pz.Div.), SS-Bttr. Krause, etc.).

KG Schuldt
On 19.12. the Russians threatened to encircle Meshkov, Schuldt pulled back but not quite in time to escape. The KG was cut in two by a column of Russian tanks, forcing the two groups to withdraw in different directions. The main group under Schuldt (KG Schuldt) moved in the direction of the Bistraya river while the smaller one (Stoßguppe Dahl - 1., most of 2. and elements of 4./Wachbattalion) to Millerovo.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10461

Plus two maps..........below. http://www.forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewt ... 38&start=0

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image026.jpg
Fights at Millerowo.
Karl Ruef Odyssee einer Gebirgsdivision. Die 3. Gebirgsdivision im Einsatz
image028.jpg
Third Don's battle
Friedrich Husemann Die guten Glaubens waren, Band 2 Seite 70.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”