The dropping of parachutist from gliders?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
fox3-6

Re: The dropping of parachutist from gliders?

Post by fox3-6 » 23 Nov 2022 06:48

Empiricist wrote:
01 Nov 2022 12:14
Hello Parahist,

Here you have 1944 movie when paratroopers jumped from CG-4As in double-tow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xc_yqsqjws

Was that a cigarette role at 52 second mark? It looks like he gets wrapped in his own parachute... not good 8O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Empiricist

Post by Empiricist » 23 Nov 2022 10:54

Yes, you are right. It looks very bad.

Empiricist

Post by Empiricist » 23 Nov 2022 19:07

Postscript

I was a parachutist so I admire those brave US servicemen who worked for that test. The CG-4A was not designed and professionally prepared for dropping the paras with their weapon, field gear, equipment etc. The CG-4A had very small so-called "emergency doors" never designed for jumping. Perhaps that wretch wrapped in his own parachute due to very small doors, his rotation in the air, too much field gear, too loose M1936 Musette Bag... who knows...

fox3-6

Post by fox3-6 » 28 Nov 2022 20:08

Empiricist wrote:
23 Nov 2022 19:07
Postscript

I was a parachutist so I admire those brave US servicemen who worked for that test. The CG-4A was not designed and professionally prepared for dropping the paras with their weapon, field gear, equipment etc. The CG-4A had very small so-called "emergency doors" never designed for jumping. Perhaps that wretch wrapped in his own parachute due to very small doors, his rotation in the air, too much field gear, too loose M1936 Musette Bag... who knows...
yes that is what is surprising. Also, i'm surprised these gliders have a static line in them but i guess they do.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”