Complete German Order Of Battle List by Tessin here in FULL

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Germanicus

Re: Complete German Order Of Battle List by Tessin here in F

Post by Germanicus » 13 Jul 2013, 03:50

Dear AHK.. when the letters st are noted at the end of a arabic numeral such as 31, it is an english abreviation to say a Germanic description of say 31. Flak Division. In english some would write 31st... meaning THIRTY FIRST which is what 31st stands for, so I would say that in answering your question the answer YES. I hope this clears this up, however I noted the 31. Flak Division as 31. Flak Division and if I saw an st at the end of a 31 in other publications it is described what it is, above!!!!

To clarify the topic of 31. Flak-Division please see articles below for those interested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/31._Flak-Division

31. Flak-Division
Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche

Die 31. Flak-Division war ein Großkampfverband der deutschen Luftwaffe im Zweiten Weltkrieg.
Geschichte

Der Führungsstab der 31. Flak-Division wurde mit Verfügung vom 18. April 1945 aufgestellt aufgrund der Umwandlung der bisherigen 2. Flak-Brigade. Ihr Kommandeur war bis Kriegsende Generalmajor Herbert Giese. Ob die 31. Flak-Division noch zum Einsatz gekommen ist und welche Einheiten ihr unterstellt waren, ist nicht feststellbar. Es ist jedoch anzunehmen, dass die Verbände ihres Vorgängers, der 2. Flak-Brigade übernommen worden sind.[1] Diese stand Ende März 1945 im Raum Siegen.[2]
Siehe auch

Liste der deutschen Flakeinheiten (Wehrmacht)

Einzelnachweise

↑ Karl-Heinz Hummel: Die deutsche Flakartillerie 1935–1945. Ihre Großverbände und Regimenter. VDM, Zweibrücken 2010, ISBN 978-3-86619-048-1, S. 110, 111.
↑ Karl-Heinz Hummel: Die deutsche Flakartillerie 1935–1945. Ihre Großverbände und Regimenter. VDM, Zweibrücken 2010, ISBN 978-3-86619-048-1, S. 132.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations ... k-division

31. Flak-Division

Commanders
Generalmajor Herbert Giese (1 Jan 1945 - 20 Apr 1945)
Oberst Herbert Röhler (20 Apr 1945 - 8 May 1945)

Area of operations
Germany (Jan 1945 - May 1945)

Sources used
Research by Gareth Collins

Reference material on this unit
- None known at this time -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe/31fladiv.html

31. Flak-Division

Kommandeure:

GenMaj Herbert Giese, 1 Jan 1945 - 20 Apr 1945
Oberst Herbert Röhler, 20 Apr 1945 - 1 May 1945

Ia:

Hptm Horst-Hubert Weise, 20 Apr 1945 - May 1945

Formed Jan 1945 in northern Germany, probably from Stab/2. Flak-Brigade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=85013

Larry D. writes a detailed reply on 31.Flak Division

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flak-Division Der Luftwaffe (Wehrmacht) by B Cher Gruppe (Editor)

Overview

Kapitel: 1. Flak-Division, 9. Flak-Division, 18. Flak-Division, 12. Flak-Division, 17. Flak-Division, 23. Flak-Division, 5. Flak-Division, 2. Flakscheinwerfer-Division, 11. Flak-Division, 1. Flakscheinwerfer-Division, 14. Flak-Division, 27. Flak-Division, 15. Flak-Division, 6. Flak-Division, 21. Flak-Division, 19. Flak-Division, 24. Flak-Division, 10. Flak-Division, 16. Flak-Division, 20. Flak-Division, 13. Flak-Division, 22. Flak-Division, 26. Flak-Division, 28. Flak-Division, 30. Flak-Division, 25. Flak-Division, 29. Flak-Division, 31. Flak-Division.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/flak-di ... 80442?ean=

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concord Publication 6527 Luftwaffe Field and Flak Divisions by Robert Kirchubel and Dmitriy Zgonnik

Page 3 mentions 31. Flak Division.

Panther1

Post by Panther1 » 24 Jul 2013, 04:53

HI again Mark

Yes you spurred me on to do a little project of my own, well 678 pages of it actually. I have been wanting to put a photographic record (this is just for my own gratification and anyone else who could want it) of all the Waffen SS divisions. Well after hours and hours I finally finished the first rough copy. Make up was Commanding Officers, followed by Order of Battle with photos of equipment used and Co of the Unit (if possible, most are easy, some are bloody impossible) Finished by a photo history of Knights Crosses awarded.
Now I am finished I have decided to include the Gold Cross, Panzer Assault Badges and Infantry Assault Badges.
I have also just finished doing a record for Grossdeutschland, man that was a ripper, they were huge, but they will need the same treatment for awards as the SS divisions too. So you keep up the great work, if you can inspire an old soldier like me, just think what the young eager ones will do LOL

Cheers mate

Iain

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 24 Jul 2013, 18:18

Dear Iain,,,Wow,,,, I am most pleased with your comments and I am most interested in your work / project / undertaking and I wish you nothing but success. I would be interested in hearing about the outcome and If there is any help you need then please drop me a line. Most respectfully Mark

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 17 Aug 2013, 10:52

Dear AHK.. PS.. TESSIN did not have 31. Flak-Division in his works. That is why I did not add 31. Flak- Division to this blog. I Only utilised Tessin's listing.

Snoopy
In memoriam

Post by Snoopy » 30 Oct 2013, 00:49

by Marcus Wendel on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:39 am
Drop the personal remarks and get back on topic.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I agree with Marcus! (Even though it's a year late in coming!)
WAKEUP PEOPLE !!
Even if "germanicus's" copying of the original works of Heer "Tessin" are somewhat incorrect, they can still be used in the cut/paste format to save some military historians (such as myself!) a h*ll of alot of typing!!
I only wish that I'd run across this posting somewhat earlier, so as to save myself a lot of key pounding up to this point:
Campaigns & Operations: Axis Order of Battle Series by John Mulholland
Sturmartillerie and Sturmgeschütz Units of the Heer
The German Mobilization and Welle (Wave) System 1939-1945
The German Replacement Army 1939 to 1945
15 November 1942 - The calm before the storm
Number of German divisions by front in World War II (An honor to help my late friend Ron Klages!)
Number of German divisions by type (An honor to assist my late friend Ron Klages!)
The Allgemeine-SS unit headquarters
Fellow members of this forum - never, ever, look a gift horse in the mouth !! That minute piece of historical data that you've slaved to find over many years might just show up in an Axis History Forum debate.
Best regards,
Snoopy
/aka: John Mulholland.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Feb 2014, 02:34

Dear Mr Mulholand... WOW... Your works are an inspiration to anyone interested in this topic... your kind words are respected and appreciated. Most respectfully Germanicus [Mark]

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Feb 2014, 23:58

I wished I had read John's correspondence before his passing away. I have been away for sometime and John's work was an inspiration to me when I was growing up. Thank you History 1 for informing me. John's words were very meaningful and his loss will be great.

Most respectfully

Mark

Germanicus

Re: Complete German Order Of Battle List by Tessin here in FULL

Post by Germanicus » 12 Feb 2016, 16:40

A most apt appraisal of Tessin's work. I have compiled an extensive addition to the posts I have already submitted and will add the missing units very soon.

Published works on Second World War Orders of Battle for land forces
by Bill Wilson

Germany

Of all the military organizations of the Second World War, Germany's land forces are among the most popular. Given this level of interest, several works have been produced that document the German order of battle. Behind most of these works stands a massive, multi-year and multi-volume effort by German historian Dr. Georg Tessin (1899 - 1985). It is this work, Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS 1939 - 1945, that deserves the most interest, and those familiar with Tessin's work will recognize how heavily subsequent works on the German order of battle borrowed from it. Totaling twenty volumes, Tessin's work was perhaps best described by Dr. Leo Niehorster: "It is an incredible compendium of astounding effort. If you are interested in German units in World War II, this is the published source. All other efforts pale in comparison."

Details of the contents of the volumes can be found on Dr. Niehorster's site at http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany ... in_00.html . Generally, Tessin's work is a numerically sequenced series of articles identifying all independent German ground forces combat organizations of the size of a battalion or larger. Each entry identifies the date of the unit's creation and provides a summary organizational history. Further information provides the unit's subordination as well as the corresponding support unit in the Replacement Army. Order of battle information is found under listings for field armies, typically listed by month and identifying divisions and brigades assigned to corps headquarters or directly subordinated to army headquarters.

Tessin's approach to the order of battle lists leaves gaps that readers should note. Because the lists are compiled at the field army echelon, units directly subordinated to army group echelon and higher are not identified. Thus, at points, it may appear a division or brigade has "gone missing" while in fact the unit was moving to another theater or directly subordinated to a very high echelon of the national military structure, such as the case of the LAH SS Panzergrenadier Division in August 1943. Entries for particular units can be consulted to identify where within the military structure the unit was to found for a particular month. For smaller units, some information on subordination is provided but it is not complete.

The entire work of Tessin is expensive to purchase, but if one is only interested in the order of battle lists, ownership of volumes one through four provides access to the monthly field army orders of battle as well as a fascinating summary of all of battalion or larger formations of the German ground forces.

Georg Tessin. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS 1939 – 1945. Twenty volumes published from 1977 until 2002 by Biblio Verlag (Osnabrück) and Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn (Frankfurt / Main).

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... ksoob.aspx
Last edited by Germanicus on 12 Feb 2016, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 12 Feb 2016, 16:48

A most interesting appraisal of Tessin was published below by Larry on wehrmacht-awards.com.

BA-MA Archivist Georg Tessin Obituary

There is another archivist who through the years made an indelible mark in the hearts and minds of World War II military history researchers and will continue to do so for many years to come. I refer to the esteemed Georg TESSIN, author of the DRK's 173-volume Vermisstenbildlisten des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes (a lot of people don't know that he was the chief compiler of this massive work), the Biblio Verlag 16-volume Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945 and numerous other works we rely on for the basics on German units. The Lexikon der Wehrmacht web site, for example, is taken directly from Tessin.

Georg Tessin was born 16 June 1899 in Rostock and raised there. He fought as a volunteer in Mecklenburg from 1920 to 1922 during the civil insurrection in Germany. While worked toward his eventual doctorate in archival sciences, he was employed in the travel industry and by merchant shipping organizations. From 1939-45 he served in the Flugmeldedienst in Schleswig-Holstein and in the Hamburg area:

TESSIN, Georg. 01.09.43 promo to Hptm.(Kr.O.). 01.02.45 Hptm. and Zugführer in 11.(schw.Flugm.Leit-Kp.)/Ln.-Rgt. 232. [He held the Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and the Kriegsverdienstkreuz m. Schw. 2. Klasse].

He surrendered to the British in May 1945 and was released a few weeks later. Foolishly, he returned to Rostock where he was picked up by the Russians and spent the next three years in a concentration camp near Frankfurt/O. where he nearly died. From 1955 to 1964 he was an archivist for the Bundesarchiv, then retired to finish and publish his unit history compilations that were all published by Biblio Verlag in Osnabrück.

Georg Tessin died of old age at his home in Koblenz on 18 October 1985 at age 86. He was cremated and his ashes buried on the grounds of a church in Ratzeburg/20 km south of Lübeck in his beloved Mecklenburg on 19 November 1985.

The full and much more detailed Tessin obituary can be found in Der Archivar, Jahrgang 1986, Heft 3, S.403-406.

http://wehrmacht-awards.com/Forums/show ... p?t=313136

Nikolajo34

Post by Nikolajo34 » 27 Jul 2018, 16:42

I am a historian of Military History, WWII and my grandfather was a German Soldier. I wrote to Deutsche Dienststelle to find out my grandfathers record and was sent the following:
Deinsteintrittsdatum: nicht verzeichnet (service entry date not listed)

Truppenteile:
It. Meldung vom 07.01.1943 Ersatz- und Ausbildungskompanie fur Pionierzuge (motorisiert) 82
ab 22.03.1944 Dolmetscher-Kompanie Wehrkreis Kommand XVIII, Wein
und am 28.04.1944
Zugang: vom Ersatz- und Ausbildungskmpanie fur Pionierzuge (motoriisiert) 82
Abgang: zur Division Brandenburg

Standort; nicht verzeichnet (location not listed)

Erkennungsmarke: 1326-Ers.Kp.f.Pi.Zg (mot)82

Do you have any information on this division, where I could find out what action his group participated in? Also, could you translate this?

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 28 Jul 2018, 08:47

There are a number of books on Division Brandenburg, Panzergredaiers to the Front is suppose to be really good. As someone else said, its best to shart with the secondary sources.

SwiM912

Post by SwiM912 » 03 Jun 2021, 01:47

Hallo! Mein Bruder, mein Großvater, war in diesem Teil – Panzerjäger-Ersatz- (und Ausbildungs-) Abteilung 13. Kann ich mehr über diese Einheit erfahren? Danke!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”