Panzer Army TOE (In Theory)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Pronghorn

Panzer Army TOE (In Theory)

Post by Pronghorn » 21 Apr 2003, 04:15

Hey All:

If anyone knows the answer to this question... someone on this list will know!

What was the Table of Eqipment/Organization for an Eastern front "Panzer Armee" circa 1943 i.e.: How many Panthers, Tigers, StuG's etc. Half-tracks, Artillery?

Robert

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Panzerarmee

Post by Christoph Awender » 21 Apr 2003, 18:19

Hello!

There was no fixed composition of a Panzerarmee. A Panzer- or any other Armee was a formation which hosted subunits like divisions and Heerestruppen which had more or less fixed compositions.

If you want to know how the headquarter of a Panzerarmee is organized I can help you but a Panzerarmee itself can have from 0 to hundreds of tanks. That depends on the number of divisions under its command at a certain point of time.

\Christoph

Pronghorn

Thanks!

Post by Pronghorn » 22 Apr 2003, 02:58

Hey:

Thanks for clearing up that triple posting...I still have no idea how that happened!

I'm trying to formulate what a "perfect" Panzer army would/should look like. How many tanks, jagdpanzers, sp artillery half tracks etc.

Robert

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

OK

Post by Christoph Awender » 22 Apr 2003, 03:38

Ok! You won´t give up? :)

As I said there is no "perfect" Panzerarmee or even a "should be version". It was composed of units needed for the actual purpose/task of the formation. What I can do is give you a actual snapshot of a real Panzerarmee.

Let´s see. As Panzerarmeen were formed later in the war I take for example the 1.Panzerarmee on 16.Januar 1942:

1.Panzerarmee
directly attached 6.rum.Kav.Brig., 5.rum.Kav.Brig., 2/3 73.Inf.Div.

- III.A.K.(mot.) with SS-"AH" Div., 60.mot., 14.Pz.Div., 13.Pz.Div., 125.Inf.Div., 16.Pz.Div.
- XIV.A.K.(mot.) with 100.lei.Div., SS-"W"Div., slow.schn.Div.
- XXXXIX.Gebirgs-Korps with 1.Geb.Div., 4.Geb.Div., 198.Inf.Div., Tle.7.Fl.Div., ital.3.Celere-Div.
- ital.schn.Kps. with ital.52.Torino-Div., ital.9.Pasubio-Div.

So you see a mixture of all kind of units. Waffen-SS, Rumanian troops, mountain troops, italian troops plus lots of Heerstruppen which are not listed here.
If you want to see more examples have a look on my site into the OoB section and the O.K.H. reports.
Again I want to say that there is no "perfect" make up of a large headquarter formation like a Panzerarmee.
You can see typical orders with Korps in some way and of course of divisions but not of a Armee.

\Christoph

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”