The heroic resistance of the Hitler Youth at Pichelsdorf bridge, Berlin

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Germanicus

Re: The heroic resistance of the Hitler Youth at Pichelsdorf bridge, Berlin

Post by Germanicus » 21 Jan 2015, 02:33

Dear John

I absolutely concur with what you wrote.. I was introducing into the picture, the mayhem, confusion and chaos that would have occurred during this event. However the date here is in conflict with earlier dates already posted in relation to the break out to Staaken. There is much more in the book which relates to the Hj however, not necessarily in relation to Pichelsdorf.

Most respectfully

Mark

histan

Post by histan » 21 Jan 2015, 08:59

Mark

The section you posted prompted me to read the rest of the book. It paints a vivid picture of what was happening in Berlin and reminds us that it wasn't just the HJ who were fighting in the areas were are researching. Very good stuff that shows how little actual fighting was done by any given unit.

Regards

John

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 21 Jan 2015, 12:24

Dear John

I do agree, in fact it prompted me to read the book to find out what was actually in there. It took me a while to ascertain that the Bridge that is first introduced is the Charlottenbrücke. It did give an interesting account as they set forth to defend the Tank production factory. The fall back through the underground tube line was apocalyptic in scope. the retreat to the havel defense line I found interesting. The break out to Staaken is horrific. I believe it gave us insight into what was occurring all around. I have captured all references made by the author in relation to the HJ and I will post. We must also be aware the we are focusing on an Army unit as opposed to the HJ. The account shows chaos all around it is very much a story about survival. That is my view. Whilst trying to understand the writers travels, I had to use a map to understand where they were. The map presented by GregSingh was priceless and I posted the other 3 maps which relate to the subject matter.

Most respectfully

Mark

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 21 Jan 2015, 12:26

326136.jpg
326136.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 1042 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 Jan 2015, 08:38

For those who misplaced their Beevor book, here it is in English, with maps:
http://royallib.com/read/Beevor_Antony/ ... 945.html#0

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:27

The following passages from 'Helmut Altner - Berlin 1945. "Dance of Death" - The terrible truth about the Battle of Berlin' It highlights the Hj and significant events associated with events surrounding the subject.

Chapter VII

The defense of the northern Spandau

Tuesday, April 24, 1945

The day of the coming of the 1st Ukrainian Front, Marshal Konev broke through to the southern outskirts of Berlin. Advancing from Potsdam to Schönefeld, but the rest of the day to the vanguard tightened later. Meanwhile, troops of Marshal Zhukov took Köpenick and were in the city, entering from the east and northeast. That same night, the 47th Army crossed the river Havel north of Spandau.

Map of Berlin, including the suburbs up to the Oder (still showing the position on the Oder), clearly shows the hopelessness of the situation. Today the front line runs through the Berlin underground stations. Erkner - this is the Eastern Front. Oranienburg and Frohnau - North. Potsdam and Werder Bremen - South. Only Western Spandau still in our hands, that's just not know how long he will remain German.

At ten o'clock line up in front of the stables. Our rucksacks packed to capacity, including dirty underwear. This property of the Wehrmacht, and we take responsibility for it, even if it is completely useless. Passing by the barracks, do a quick sip of schnapps, which burns my throat. Through tears running across the sky clouds sometimes looks moon, peaceful glow illuminating the doomed city. We go past the battalion headquarters, loud typing step. Pass through the gate and again plunge into the world of the big city. Dispersed under the trees, we go on an unmade road in Spandau. Right on the railway embankment burning tank with oil.

We arrived at Spandau. We pass the ruins of houses. Then go over the bridge and turn in the direction of Spandau West. We are all terribly tired and shocked the recent bombing. We left the side of the trailer open and so every time when the tractor makes a turn and we were thrown from side to side, afraid to fall. Suddenly the tractor stops. Grab their belongings and jump to the ground. Tractor leaves and soon disappears in the distance. The street is quiet, only heard our footsteps, echoes from the walls gave houses we passed.

125th Corps of the Soviet 47th Army, supported by the 50th Guards Tank Brigade, approached the German defensive positions near Spandau Gatov, but did not attempt to break into the city.

Now, in the daylight, we understand where we are. Step on the asphalt surface of the road on both sides of which stretched tall buildings and stables. This school police and Napoli, explains Lieutenant. We stop in front, around which there are people in the form of the Waffen SS and teenagers from the Hitler Youth. We were given weapons and ammunition. Each department receives the machine gun and two Panzerfaust. The rest will have to carry ammunition. Our Lieutenant alarmed. We're loaded like donkeys, and the guys from the Hitler Youth endure for us all new and new weapons and ammunition. One of our Branch issued a gun during the First World War, but none of us knows how to handle it. Nevertheless, and had to take it. After that, we're leaving.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:28

Wednesday, April 25, 1945

Before the railway line leading to the Betz

It was a day when the Soviet Marshal Konev launched its offensive along the Teltow canal, trying to get to the Reichstag before his opponent Marshal Zhukov. Night silence, which draws attention, was of special significance. Contrary to what he wrote in his memoirs Marshal Zhukov, the hallmark of the fighting in Berlin was that his troops were almost stopped fighting at night to relax and enjoy the fruits of victory.

Reserve in the trenches much of the ammunition after the lieutenant ordered us to build. Waffen SS, which yesterday covered our rear of forest, in positions near the intersection retreated today at dawn. From this it follows that our party was again in danger. We are rapidly retreating, moving along the railroad tracks. Somewhere in the woods slammed a single shot. Then becomes quiet, though not for long. Noise of battle, which is reached from behind, from the side of the road, it becomes louder. Now we can clearly hear shots from tank guns. We pass by the new positions occupied by SS troops and a detachment of the Hitler Youth.

Our lieutenant enters into a conversation with an SS officer, who wants us to take the trenches alongside his soldiers, but we go further. We need to come to Hakenfelde for a new order. Residents of nearby houses are located on the threshold, and listen carefully to the sounds of battle that has been going on somewhere nearby. Volkssturm troops dressed in SS uniform, which is ridiculous sitting on people of all ages. This very young boys of the Hitler Youth, and the old man of seventy. All they had to dress up in camouflage uniform of the Waffen SS, to take up arms and get ready at any moment to join the battle. In some places, the passages in the street barricades have already been laid, and hid them with the boys of the Hitler Youth in the hands of Panzerfaust.

Large houses are left behind, and the street becomes wider. Right stretches fence tool factory, and left a small private houses with gardens. Under the trees, dug slit-seekers, which sit the boys from the Hitler Youth in huge, not in size, with a Panzerfaust helmets in their hands. In the night heard the distant sounds of battle, drifting from somewhere to the right, apparently from Nordhafena, which is now probably the inferno. Then start shooting somewhere ahead, among the trees. Houses are left behind, and the highway takes us to a large forest. We see a road sign. On one side says "Greater Berlin", on the other - "Before Felten 17 kilometers." We are located in the northwestern part of the city, in places where the enemy has not yet managed to penetrate deeply. Before us stretches a wide field, where you can get to the forest. To our right the highway turns right into the forest.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:28

Chapter VIII

End of Spandau

Thursday, April 26, 1945

On that day, the 76th and 60th infantry divisions of the Soviet 47th Army launched an attack on both Spandau the north and west. Despite the impressive artillery support, the Soviet troops suffered heavy losses. Unable to take the city, they retreated again, departing at night to a safe position.

On the streets of moving tanks equipped with flamethrowers, paced the Hitler Youth members, police, militia, soldiers of the Waffen SS. I get up, go along the houses, go into the building Napoli and go down to the basement. We used up all our ammunition to the last bullet. To the cellar door pinned lists non-commissioned officers of the Waffen SS - here they are not afraid of any tanks and guns. One of the SS asks me what I've been looking for, and I reply that I need ammo. He sends me to the next building. Finally I found what I needed in a corner of the yard and come back with two boxes. Stabsfeldwebel starts handing out ammunition - a hundred rounds per person.

By us passes mixed colonies. Whom it just is not - and civil and militias, and hastily formed of all ages rifle company. Tail close the two guys from the Deutsches Jungvolk in brown shirt and brown pants. They dragged anti-tank missiles and rifles. Suddenly they stop and turn back - tired, heartsick, with no hope of staying alive, because no one knows which of them will die in the next few hours.

The commander of the mountain-squad party functionary with armbands emblazoned in gold letters, gives the command "at ease". Two beardless boys lay down on the ground next to us. Small boy sprouts greedy eyes looking at our cigarettes, and we call to him. He slowly walks up to us and sits down beside him. We ask how old he is. Thirteen, he says. He is from Oranienburg and was transferred from one company to another militia, here in Spandau. In fact, they did not Volkssturm, and soldiers of the newly formed regiment "thirtieth day of January,".

We ask the guy how wind it in thirteen years has brought to the army, and he points to his comrades, who, like himself, from Oranienburg. "We were taken out of the house the police under orders Hauptsturmführer SS Fricheski. We were forced to march in the SS barracks and on the area of the castle. Then we were divided according to our gitleryugendovskim links and put them on the orders of the SS and Volkssturm. Our troops were sent to fight in the northern and eastern part of the city. Most of us have died under fire from enemy infantry, when we ran across open fields. Then, for two days in the city rattled the fighting, which killed almost everyone who previously survived. Russian watered took the city on fire from the "Stalinist orgán".

When we wanted to pack up and go home, we were stopped and forced to hold the line of the channel that leads to Eden. My platoon commander refused, and then two SS men and one soldier hung him on the tree, however, he was only fifteen. Then the remnants of our Hitler Youth squad, only eight people - but once we had one hundred and twenty - moved after all. We were given a short rest, after it was blown up bridge over the canal. After that, I met with the two of my school friends. They told me that the captain of the SS with his girlfriend and Lieutenant Schiller from school two days ago, drove off to the west on bicycles. After that I went to the Welt. I would like to get in Hennigsdorf, where I have my aunt, but I was soon caught. After that, I took part in the battle in Raynikensdorfe, on the road that leads in Spandau. Then we retreated, but this morning we regrouped and sent here. "

The boy said quietly, the words coming out of his mouth is dry and indifferent, as if what is happening - it's just a bad dream. In his thirteen years also had already blown. Victim of his time.

In the dark voices. Soldiers returning tired, heavy tread. Between them, as if lost, children are in gray helmets and with weapons in their hands. They staggered wander past us. It returned to those who have been at the forefront. I go with them to the garage. There has already come our lieutenant, and with several soldiers, and now they are sitting on straw. Lieutenant tells us that Western Spandau will be put on this night. Still, there remain thousands lie dead.

One after another, these figures hurry back. From the command post military force "Spandau- West" messenger arrived. Ordered to retreat. Spandau will leave before midnight. I look at my watch. Now almost eleven. Then we all go out and build in front of the Napoli. This gradually converge those who leave the last - boys, policemen, firemen and women in an SS uniform.

Our combat unit, that is, our company, is and will hold the last position. We were ordered to cover the retreat, and ourselves, we can go from here only with the onset of midnight. Gradually, the flow of refugees is becoming rarer and soon the human trickle dries completely. We were alone.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:29

Friday, April 27, 1945

On the streets and in the homes of boiling flurry of activity: the formation of new combat units that go to the other side of the Havel. In Spandau should not remain a single soul. Soon you hear the roar of aircraft engines. People rush to the shelter before the plane flies over us like a huge bird.

From all sides came the roll - are soldiers begin to look for his troops. Get up, walk around the area and soon find my friends. Soon call out and us. We go inside and wait. Lieutenant and Stabsfeldwebel stand near a candle, the captain gives them directions. It also tells you what part of the city already occupied. Our company, in which there are only eighteen, ordered to move to the "Deutsche Industrie-Werke" on the other side of the Havel. There we will spend the night at the command post. To accomplish this task we have placed at the disposal of Captain Pavelika.

Again we go out. Entrances are almost empty. We are moving past the thinning residues of other companies. We have once Parade past the town hall - a company of young recruits in the gray field uniform in the amount of one hundred and fifty people. To the right of us takes Havel, left - to homes huddle trees. Near water rises bright concrete building bomb shelters, behind him over the dark water stretches bridge [This bridge over Charlotte]. We must turn to the road leading to it, but suddenly roar shakes his design. We are in fear of running back.

Is Russian began shelling the bridge? Do we retreat cut off?

"Attention. Says radio Greater Germany. We appeal to you to read out the Reich Commissioner and the defense of Berlin, which is published in the battle of Berlin sheet "Pantserber". We will not surrender Berlin Bolsheviks. Soon, our battle will join the new force. Russian offensive drown in a sea of blood. Traitors who hang white flags on their houses and public buildings, deprived of the right to protection by society. All residents of these buildings, not only traitors, will be treated as traitors. As in the treacherous Rhine Region, which is not worthy to be called a part of Germany, the severity of retribution will fall on the traitors in the battle for Berlin. Berliners! The whole nation is looking at you. Think about it! An hour before the morning dawn is the darkest. There will be a new day, and our victorious eagle will fly to the sun, shining plumage in its rays ... "

The soldier turned the knob, and suddenly from the speaker can hear the word from which we jump, "talk radio" Free Germany "!" First Stabsfeldwebel want to turn it off, but then waved his hand - say, let him say. He pulls out a map, spreads it on the table and begins to mark red pencil places that, according to the radio, went to Russian. It's small towns and villages around Berlin - Felten, Oranienburg, Bernau, Erkner, Teltow, Potsdam and Shtaaken. Russian taken and such parts of the capital, as Köpenick Lichtenberg, Weissensee, Pankow and Reinickendorf. Spandau West left that night until Havel. The German army has retained only scattered pieces that are waiting for the right moment to cross the bridge. Ring around Berlin closed in, and within the city itself the enemy tries to capture and isolate small bridgeheads. Ninth Army surrendered after defeated in the south-eastern outskirts of the city. Ring around Berlin shrinks more and more closely, and soon the city will suffocate in his arms.

Stabsfeldwebel fold card and looks at his watch. Fourth hour. We get up, go out into the yard and wake up those of our comrades who huddled in a heap to keep warm. We go outside and look at the bridge. It so quiet, so peaceful. Somewhere in the doorways lies sleeping soldiers, but it seems that everyone who could crossed the bridge.

We come to the bridge. He blocked by anti-tank obstacles. But it does not stop us, and soon we were almost on the other side. In the middle of the bridge lying dead, the bridge itself also suffered from the shelling. Finally we are on the other side.

Day passes before our mind's eye like a newsreel footage. Spandau ruins and dead bodies in the streets. German troops leave Spandau, and our dead comrades lying in homes, in the building of Napoli, in a police school in Nordhafene, in the woods. In Siemensstadt and other places our company before our eyes turn to ashes. One miracle survivor soldiers told us that eighty-five percent of his company was lost in Nordfalene - were killed or captured.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:29

Chapter IX

Stresow and Ruhleben

Later the same day, April 27, 1945

We are told that we will one day pass under the authority of fire. Fire tells us that Hitler ordered that the plant "Deutsche Industrie-Werke", which collect tanks and assault guns, protected from the Russian to the last bullet and the last man. The plant can go into the hands of the enemy only as a heap of ruins over our dead bodies.

We open the gate leading to the street. They creaked on its hinges and reluctantly opened. Our unit is divided into two parts. Often takes a back some Scharführer SS, others go to the fire. We need to take to protect the river and the bridge from the enemy [101] .

Those who are left with Scharführer SS disappear in the alley, we're going to the bridge. Wreckage strewn on the street brickwork surrounding buildings - most of them destroyed the walls to the first floor. On the walls hang residues electric wires, they also are rings on the road. Roadway and pavement covered with a thick carpet of broken glass. Amid the ruins of the building stands miraculously survived. I can not believe that this is possible - because the neighboring houses turned into piles of broken bricks. The streets are empty, they are not a soul, except for us. We slowly wandered among the ruins, and then we turn into the alley. Most of the houses are, with few exceptions, remained. We turn left and come to the waterfront Havel. In the pavement along the waterfront dug slit-bomb shelters, even near the destroyed building. Havel flows slowly into the distance, as if whispering something.

We stop under a bridge. I was told to stay here because I'm the only one rifle. I have to watch the bridge that hangs over us and leads to the other side. I sit down on the steps that lead up, and look at the opposite shore. In front of me a wire mesh fence separates the embankment of the river. On its surface dancing scallops foam and gray-green waves. Left in the river is demolished shelling trestle bridge - probably Bahn. On the other side in the bright morning light rises menacingly gray hulk Hall Spandau. The street that runs in front of the buildings, as if dead.

Gray concrete cube hopper sticks out in the middle of golden sand between the street and the river. Next to him are a few people. From time to time hear the neighing of a horse - is some kind of no man's horse wandered feast on fresh spring leaves of the trees on the riverbank. The right of the bridge very close to the shore are home. Open window hanging white cloth and gently swaying in the wind. From the burned-out apartment house stretches thin cloud of smoke. After a few hundred meters of the river disappears around the bend between the apartment buildings and brick buildings of the plant "Deutsche Industrie-Werke."

Across the bridge quickly becomes a man in civilian clothes and stopped next to us. Russian civilians do not stop, and they are free to move from one bank to another. Shoot only soldiers. According to the man, in the houses on the bank of the Russian yet. The enemy units, including women's battalions, keep only the town hall and the building next to the railway bridge.

On the bridge still stood abandoned machine gun. Next to him there is no soldier. The impression is that to anyone before what is not the case.

I stop at the bridge. On the other side is heard several shots. I go to the corner house on which hangs a sign beer, cautiously dive under the balcony that and look to fall on me, and then wading through piles of broken bricks in a basement, in the place where the partially collapsed roof. Basement near the shore Havel turned into a fortress, the walls are arranged loopholes, and the walls themselves are reinforced railroad ties and wooden beams. Panzerfaust on the floor and a bowl next to a wooden bench with dirty pillows. I think I see the blood stains on them. Loopholes turned towards the bridge. They are a decent size, they can easily pass Panzerfaust. But sunlight does not penetrate them almost why the room is worth the twilight. What happens on the street, too, is almost invisible. Viewed only the approaches to the bridge, light cube bomb shelter on the other side, and partly - anti-tank obstacles on the other end of the bridge.

Then somewhere near begins to rumble - not otherwise, it woke up again, "Stalin's organs." Apparently, the enemy is firing from Spandau.

We used to go on and soon arrive in the boiler room. Across the street to the great mountain of slag stretch of railroad tracks. Nearby are several loaded coal cars over our heads stood a giant crane. Gate leading to the railroad tracks, open, albeit with difficulty. We pass through the railroad tracks. Before us to the station Spandau-West rail stretch Bahn. Between the rails and the industrial branches town line stretches a narrow strip of grass. We go through it in the direction of Ruhleben. Suddenly, I pulled the trigger of my rifle, but nothing happens. I look around their arms. Cartridge in place, but the store is bent. In principle, the rifle can be thrown away anyway now from her any good.

Suddenly, on the waterfront grow figure in brown uniforms. Fright we encounter each other and fall. Too late. People in brown spotted us and now we are approaching. Then they lift up their hands. We get up and they throw up their hands. The Germans.

Coming closer to us, they say that mistook us for Russian, just as we have them. Then we go all together through the underpass under the urban railway. Middle of the street stands the tank. We carefully make our way along the waterfront to the barracks camp. Others, mostly young guys trying to get into Spandau West to get civilian clothes or find refuge with relatives. They are confident that they all have to get scared and glad that they can finally get out of this nightmare.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:33

Saturday, April 28, 1945

Nobody really knows what actually happens, where the enemy is and what forces he comes. Fires on all sides, and obviously hit on our barracks. It seems that the fire began to lead off the racetrack. The day before, after heavy fighting, the enemy took Siemensstadt and has since moved slowly forward. Apparently, he crossed the Spree on its own pontoon ferry because all major bridge had already been blown up. It seems that he also keeps a fire from Charlottenburg. Only until a safe direction - it Spandau West, where Havel is an insurmountable barrier. We are surrounded by, and do not know how to get out of here.

Very light, the sun occasionally breaks through the clouds, then hides again. In the branches of trees with chirping birds flit. Gallows on the mound Reichs stadium stick against the sky like dead fingers. Hopefully, they will no longer be needed.

The enemy is trying to renew the attack. Now he focused on the machine gun, but relatively dugouts he obviously doubts. We shoot like mindless robots, aim and shoot, and again the enemy retreats, firing and taking their dead and wounded. He knew how many people are actually defending this trench! But the gun did the trick. If not for his accurate fire, we would have been long gone.

Suddenly the enemy retreats. He runs back through the open position between the bushes and climbing on the mound. We almost did not shoot him go. We are happy to have that alive. Only machine gun continues to pour enemy fire. But suddenly a shot rang out behind us. I look. Now I understand why the enemy surrendered their positions. Across the field from the barracks and soldiers running Hitler Youth in black or brown form [107] . We dive into the trench and are afraid to pop out, as the bullets whistle very close. Another moment - and the first of them have already jumping into our trench. With them, Lieutenant.

We have to drive the enemy from the stadium. To do this, to help us in a hurry reinforcements from the "Deutsche Industrie-Werke" and other points where our positions are still strong. Hitler Youth not yet had time to change into a form or Volkssturm Wehrmacht was taken from his home in Spandau Ruhleben, so now here about a couple of thousand Hitler Youth and thousands of soldiers. The counterattack begins at ten o'clock. Meanwhile, two battle groups make their way in the direction of the stadium from the station Ruhleben. Now they appear to be in the area of the Olympic Stadium.

Time passes very slowly. We were approached by more and more groups of soldiers and Hitler Youth . In the end, in a trench becomes so crowded that it is difficult to move. Many of the new arrivals were behind us in a foxhole, waiting to begin the attack. It seems that the enemy is confused, he pours space machine gun and machine-gun fire. Hitler Youth fear retract his shoulders. Basically, they are armed with old German and Italian rifles and a handful of cartridges. Most have never to this day did not take up arms, so that they will have to learn on the spot. One return enough that these children do not stay on his feet, fell on his back. As soon as the shooting, most of them are not big trouble.

Almost ten hours. Suddenly, from the barracks to the stadium opens enemy mortar fire. At ten o'clock we get up out of the trenches and move forward. We immediately covers enemy fire, which we briefly find salvation under the embankment. For buildings hiding Russian, or rather those that ran in front of us and ran into the fire of its own. And here we are on the mound, and before us lies the stadium. Left to hear the sounds of battle - the enemy slowly, step by step, losing ground, stepping back through the field to Heershtrasse. Our forces are distributed throughout the space and lead the offensive. Middle Hitler Youth go and even try to shoot. Suddenly, from the sports school [108] alive gun and mows our ranks. More and more dead bodies are lying on the ground. Detachment left of us got into a fierce battle behind the school building. We jumped to his feet and run, pouring fire retreating enemy. Soon these buildings to meet us out German soldiers taken prisoner the day before. Maybe they're too deserters?

One platoon is forging ahead and trying to get through to Heerstrasse. Others take the stadium to the again passed to the enemy. We are behind them and return to the barracks.

The land is dotted with dead and wounded, mostly Hitler Youth someone in a form that someone in the clothes in which they were taken out of the house. Those who survived are translated. Losses in their ranks up eighty percent. Mayor says that they can go home. If necessary, they will call again.

We're heading to the barracks. On the tracks between holiday houses are killed by the Germans, and Russian. There are also quite a few were killed Hitler Youth . Yes, a very high price we paid for our "success"! At least two thousand killed and wounded in just one hour. Alas, human life is now much cheaper, it does not have anyone to business. Soldiers or boy from the Hitler Youth, a woman or a man, anyway. Those of them who got into a boiling cauldron of war, condemned to death. Orders just one person lead others to the same point, and if this point is for them to death, neither he nor the others do not really care. It is better to be killed than to die slowly of starvation in our cellars, once said that a boy of fourteen.

Building barracks converted into a huge field hospital. Dead bodies piled in front of the eastern enclosure. Gray soldier's uniform is near civilian clothes militia Volkssturm and brown Hitler Youth. Among the dead there are a few women who happened to be on the streets at night. Barracks themselves suffered greatly, and from the hospital projectile shot off a corner. Within the walls of gaping holes in some places they had to shut sandbags. All this is the work of the tank, which now stood motionless in front of goal. Windows are broken, some cars that were on the eve before the battalion headquarters, beyond recognition, now it's just a pile of scrap metal. Here, too, lying dead everywhere.

We went down to the basement and put their arms. NCO hydration band and his platoon were ordered to guard the ammunition bunker near the film studio, I have to join them later. Oberfeldwebel Kaiser Company platoon returned, having been held captive by the Russian. He was taken by surprise last night, put on a Russian armored car, but it is on the road with him managed to jump off. After that he hid in the basement of one of the cottages. Another soldier of their company was taken prisoner during the night and also returned. According to him, treated them well. All treated schnapps and cigarettes, and even gave bread. However, it is certain that it was a ploy to keep them from fleeing to his. We still do not know the whole truth.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:34

Chapter X

Tunnels

Saturday, April 28, 1945

(Afternoon)

I'm exhausted and I fall from exhaustion. The head is heavy and prevents me from thinking clearly. However, this same circumstance kills also serious thoughts that during a lull from time to time descend on us like a creepy night shadows. We have gray form, such as gray and our apprehension of the future that deprives us even last ray of hope. I want one thing - to sleep to suddenly wake up and find that it was just a bad dream, that there is no war, no ruins, no mangled bodies. But there is peace, there is a sun, life is still in full swing and it does not threaten the probability end at any moment. Alas, this is only a dream. We are condemned to death, although we do not know why. Nor do we know why we can not live.

Lieutenant enters the room. Means nothing yet over, because Ruhleben must be liberated from the enemy. Several combat units have gone in different directions. One such detachment went through Reichsstadium towards Heershtrasse to clear the enemy from Pihelberg. Another detachment guarding Ruhleben north of the city rail station up to the Spree. We were ordered to go along the metro line and as close as possible to the center of the city. Meanwhile, another militant group must break along the road to Spandau and Charlottenburg to continue to thus strengthen the weak link with the center of Berlin. Rumor has it if Hitler intends to arrive at Ruhleben [109] .

We are moving further along the subway line. Apparently, on our right, next to the pool, Russian machine gun installed because there lying dead bodies everywhere - men and Hitler Youth. Next to the station "Reichs stadium" - a broken anti-tank gun and a crew [110] . Several soldiers and civilians digging in the cemetery near the grave and collect dead bodies, mostly boys from the Hitler Youth. Those that are injured, help to convey to the dressing station, which is arranged immediately, at the metro station.

We have to take precautions because we do not know how far the enemy retreated. We wandered along a broad front line of the subway, combing the area. Westend-pass alley and move to station Neu-Westend. Russian here. Locals tell us that the enemy retreated to Grunwald [111] . Directly behind the station - yellow bus BVG, windows shattered, but he was unhurt. The enemy is still not visible, but from a distance came the roar of battle. It seems that the battle group sent via Spandau to Charlottenburg, made its way into the city, and now there are street battles [112] . We reserve the right Preuss Alley, and the left - Castaño alley. Last branches off from the highway that leads to Spandau, and somewhere in the middle of it is a square Branittser Platz.

On the area of Adolf Hitler-Platz [113] Russian is also not only here and there lying Russian and German weapons, as well as several dead bodies - that's evidence that there was a fight. Locals tell us that the enemy retreated to the metro station Eyhkamp. Our commander, Captain of the Luftwaffe, which, apparently, has no idea how the infantry, sends numerous group to the fairgrounds to see if there was an enemy. Soon they go back, reaching almost to the Deutschland-mall and never caught in the crossfire.

Apparently, the enemy took up positions on either side of Kaiserdamm and near the radio tower on the Mazur-alley. Captain gives the order of the fighters to move further along the subway tunnel to get to the rear of the enemy and attack him. The other part has to move along the street to the "knee".

Again, we have another on the way the ventilation shaft, and from afar came the din of battle. Somewhere, over our heads bullets fly, why the tunnel is carried loud echo. Soon it turns into a deafening roar, and we rush forward into the darkness. Bullets bounce off walls, dig in the gravel, and the exploding fountains. Then gunfire suddenly subsides, and it hurts our ears from sudden silence. We wandered slowly forward. We do not shoot, because we can get to those who come. Gradually, the tunnel extended, and we leave on platform. On it - a few Hitler Youth with Panzerfaust and soldiers of the Waffen SS. This, they opened fire on us, took us for Russian. Their mistake cost us four dead and wounded. They tell us that the Russian occupied the area adjacent to the Richard-Wagner-Platz. Nazemki Vestkroyts station Charlottenburg and also in their hands. And Russian occupied Bismarck Strasse, between Sophie-Charlotte Platz and the opera house, that is, drive a wedge between the two stations. We glimpse the street. Judging by the thunder, there is a serious fight. Moving down the street squad tries to keep as close as possible to the walls of houses.

We share in the group and continue the path through the underground maze. Our task - to slip by unnoticed by the enemy. Hitler Youth those that have undergone special training and are ready to fight to the underground, go with us. We jump on the rails and slowly move on, trying to keep close to the walls. Underground tunnels here and there describe smooth rotation, which was quite an enemy may be hiding. We are moving slowly, step by step. Reaching the ventilation shaft, we stop. The roar of battle outside reaches us like distant thunder, and we breath. It seems that the fire somewhere nearby, perhaps right over our heads. We move on, clinging to the walls, as if they are able to protect us from death and destruction. And what it will be - no doubt, especially when you consider that the enemy has already taken the next station. We follow next. From time to time through the bars once mine breaks sunshine and hear the sounds of battle. Suddenly what happens is what should happen, and immediately becomes happier, at least now we know what awaits us.

The shots came from the tunnel from somewhere on the left and ricocheted off the walls. We run forward under deadly fire. Stumble, fall and crawl on the ground, trying to find a safe place. Suddenly the tunnel once again shines a bright flash, and for a moment I could see figures running, rails, cables stretching along the walls and Hitler Youth who had just fired a Panzerfaust in branch tunnel. Then again there is darkness. For a moment, someone lights a lamp, and I could see lying between the rails of the body. Again, I'm running like crazy, not feeling his legs and pouring lead darkness. Machine gun fire suddenly broke. Shop empty - like the one that I spent before. We stumble on dead bodies, which have much larger, mostly - Hitler Youth who went ahead with the SS. And again on our way ventilation shaft. Fight behind us does not abate. We do not know where to run - either directly into the hands of the enemy, whether he attacks us from behind.

Fire does not stop. We disperse more, and most of us left in place to curb the onslaught of the enemy. Behind the station "Zoo" demolished the pavement, and the tunnel collapsed. We have to make its way in the maze of concrete, twisted rails collapsed ceiling beams and dangling electrical cables. At the same time we try not to get hit by the fire of the enemy persecute us, the fire, which falls on us literally everywhere. Overcoming once ruined land, we again disappear underground. I do not know what time it is now too late or too early. I completely lost all sense of time. It is strange that I do still alive. Our ranks have thinned, but Hiter Youth fighting furiously, constantly driven by their commanders of the Waffen-SS.

We reached the station Wittenberg Platz.

We sit on the platform and arrange respite, waiting until the rest of us fit. One after another, they appear out of the darkness and stretched on the platform. They are everywhere, as if dead. Soldiers holding station, fear that this could descend Russian. Fight in the subway tunnels is ruthless, a life-and-death, says one of them. In tunnels were cut off from their Germans and Russian. Many died under the rubble. Among the victims Hitler Youth who have undergone anti-tank combat and who were then sent into the tunnels. I ask about the situation at the station "Zoo" and someone says to me that there most reliable strengthening - both bomb shelter, and that the enemy is gradually approaching him. He had reached the area Nollender Platz and under cover of tanks on its way.

Exit the station in the lobby. He is full of broken glass, it lies on the floor with a thick layer, like a carpet. Top anti-barrier between the buildings on Tauentsien Strasse and continue towards Nollendorfplatz Platz heard distant crackle of gunfire. It is said that the area around the Memorial Church freed from the enemy. Going to the ticket hall and recalculate our ranks. Five hundred of those with us went to the tunnel, there are very few, only a handful. Someone broke away from us on Adolf Hitler-Platz, someone went down in the tunnels. Together with the boys of the Hitler Youth, we now less than a hundred people, and we do not know what to do next.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:46

Sunday, April 29, 1945

We pass under the bridge at Herdenberger Strasse and head to the "knee". Over our heads in the railway tracks, gaping hole through which you can see the starry sky - apparently the result of a direct hit by a projectile.

We climbed over the barricade and again find ourselves in no man's land in the heart of Germany, in the center of Berlin. We crept along the walls are moving - because at any moment the enemy can throw at us rain fire and steel. Around us - an endless stone desert, and we is not alone in the middle of the barren ruins. We feel moving forward, step by step, carefully listening to the night sounds. That's where a dog barked, and we immediately go astray together. In the dark of night dog barking sounds sad and plaintive. Again becomes quiet and we are on our way. Finally we come to the "knee". From here to the right of the big stars have been laid Charlottenburger street-highway. On our right stands the barricade, however, abandoned. From the metro station momentarily peeps someone's face, but then disappears again.

We finally reach the station, down the embankment and go along it towards the bridge over the Spandau-Highway, where we again go on the road. Then we pass by the metro station "Ruhleben" against which the soldiers from the barracks put sentries.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:48

Monday, April 30, 1945

In another article we present the Army Wenck approaching Berlin. Title is - "Reserves moving to Berlin on all sides." This army has had to go out to Nikolassee from Potsdam and take part in the battles on the way to the capital. The new army, as stated in the paper, was formed in Pomerania under the direct command of Grand Admiral Doenitz. After a few days she will take part in the battle for Berlin. On the part of Cottbus made another army group consisting of parts coming from Czech protectorate.

Army Wenck, which we have discussed before, it seems to me, has all chances to time to help the defenders of Berlin. About this army, led by young military general, told wonders. As is clear from newspaper articles, it has long be in Berlin, as the newspaper four days ago.

Seeking a passage from a speech that on April 28, the radio played Secretary of State Naumann: "The soldiers who fought under the command of the Supreme Commander, convinced that their resistance to rectify the situation and they will be able to defeat the enemy. We clearly feel the personal involvement of the Fuhrer in charge of this great battle. "

Vindhorst then sends me another leaflet with the order of the day addressed to Army General Wenck, "Army soldiers Wreath! By order of great importance you transferred from west to east. Your goal is clear: Berlin will always be a German. "

We aloud to figure out when the army Wenck can liberate us from the clutches of the enemy, and come to the conclusion that it would be May 3rd. We must in no matter what was to hold out until this day. The number of troops rushing to our rescue, inspires me.

[81 Heysmayer of the SS, the inspector general of schools Napoli («NAPOLA»), commanded the battle group of the Hitler Youth "Heysmayer" in Spandau, but, according to Lehmann, blessed his players to great feats, flew in the Alps, in Gandan, his wife Gertrud Scholtz -Klink, which has been known to lead a female counterpart of the Hitler Youth, "League of German Girls." On his departure he did not disclose the youth leader of the Third Reich Artur Axmann, in front of which was responsible for the above youthful battle group, and it was regarded as an act of desertion.]

[101 The Germans could not know that the river Havel and Spree, which flows to the north of the plant, forming the boundary between the 1st Byelorussian and the 1st Ukrainian Front, and that due to rivalry and poor communication between the commanders of the two fronts crossing hardly planned.]

107 Members of the Hitler Youth wore brown uniforms summer and black in winter.

[109 Lieutenant General Weidling, commander of the defense of Berlin, Hitler planned to take this path, but at the same time to evacuate the entire garrison. In his possession was about thirty thousand people, but stocks of ammunition and food were running out, and he saw no point in continuing the defense. However, when on April 28, he presented his plan to Hitler, he refused, fearing fall into enemy hands, and ordered to keep the defense. Fuhrer hoped to help defend the capital come 12th Army Wenck and 9th Army Busse, but these armies commanders refused to obey his orders.]

110 Now the Olympic Stadium.

111 Colonel made his headquarters in the northern part of Grunwald, near Eyhkampa.

112 Now Theodore Heiss-Platz.

113 Now Ernst-Reuter-Platz.

[117 12th Army Wenck was ordered to leave the position on the Elbe and go to Berlin, but its commander ignored this order and instead helped to save the remnants of the 9th Army.]

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 29 Jan 2015, 15:49

I apologise for some translations...from 'Helmut Altner - Berlin 1945. "Dance of Death" - The terrible truth about the Battle of Berlin'

Most respectfully

Mark

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”