German heroes of the Western front?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
forseti79

German heroes of the Western front?

Post by forseti79 » 30 Jul 2015, 20:07

I've read about incredible feats performed by Germans in the East by soldiers like Fritz Christen, Franz Staudegger, and Hans-Ulrich Rudel but not so much in the West against the Americans and British. I know much of the German army was in tatters by the time the Western allies arrived but there must be some examples of individual or group heroism in France, Belgium, and Germany.

pintere
Financial supporter

Re: German heroes of the Western front?

Post by pintere » 31 Jul 2015, 17:17

Incredible feats on the Western front? Well, just off the top of my head...

Alexander Uhlig, a German Fallschirmjäger, captured about 230 US prisoners with 30 men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Uhlig

A similar incident happened on the 18th of June when about 30 men of the 12th SS's Divisionsbegleitkompanie captured about 120 British prisoners in a surprise counterattack.

Cariusthebrave

Re: German heroes of the Western front?

Post by Cariusthebrave » 31 May 2019, 08:37

The soldiers of the 2.Pz.Div who captured parts of St. Lambert while being shelled by tanks and artillery allowing other units to cross the bridge over the dives...
:)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”