"Winterübung", 1936

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
CNE503

"Winterübung", 1936

Post by CNE503 » 22 Aug 2015, 02:03

Hello,

In spite of all my efforts, I couldn't find a complete list of the units involved in this operation.
I found the following:
- an unknown battalion of Infanterie Regiment 39 (16. Infanterie Division) reached Köln around noon on March 7th, 1936. Generalmajor von Kluge and his staff were welcomed by the civil authorities shortly after noon;
- an unknown battalion of Infanterie Regiment 13 (15. Infanterie Division), maybe the IV./Infanterie Regiment 13, was deployed in Karlsruhe behind its commander, Oberst Hans Knoerzer;
- Infanterie Regiment 21 (17. Infanterie Division) was fully involved in the operation, the mass of the regiment in Speyer, the II./Infanterie Regiment 21 in Germersheim;
- II./Infanterie Regiment 75 (5. Infanterie Division) occupied the small demilitarized area facing Strasbourg (Freiburg/Brisgau, Kehl, Offenburg) with the regimental staff;
- I./Artillerie Regiment 6 (6. Infanterie Division) was deployed mainly near Düsseldorf. The 1./Artillerie Regiment 6 seems to have been in Bonn;
- elements from Infanterie Regimenter 17 and 38 (19. Infanterie Division) were also spotted, even if I can't tell which of their battalions nor where.

Later that day, three battalions pushed westwards:
- II./Infanterie Regiment 39 in Aachen;
- I./Infanterie Regiment 38 in Trier;
- II./Infanterie Regiment 38 in Saarbrücken.

But the figures commonly cited evoke 19 infantry battalions and 13 artillery batteries. Where are the other ones?

Can someone help on this?
Cheers,

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

tigre

Re: "Winterübung", 1936

Post by tigre » 16 Feb 2020, 19:14

Hello to all :D; more..............

Winterübung - March 1936!

Following directives of the Oberbefelshabers der Whermacht (Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces) on March 7, 1936, troops of the V., VI. and IX. Armeekorps with 19 infantry battalions and 11 artillery groups totaling 22,000 men marched into the Rhineland. This displacement required the support of 90 trains. In the operation the Infantry Regiments 36, 38, 39, 75 and 87 were engaged, which had been organized in the period 1934/35. Similarly, artillery groups - except Artillery Regiments 5 and 7 - were organized in 1934/35.

Also: We had a new situation on that March 7, 1936; Our regiment (IR 75) had to carry out the task of entering the demilitarized zone. Under the enthusiasm of the inhabitants of Freiburg, the regiment's command and its II. Battalion, led by Oberst Richter, re-entered the barracks that belonged to the former Freiburg Regiment 113. Die 5. Jäger-Division 1939-1945. REINICKE, ADOLF. page 15.

Sources: DER FALL „GRÜN“: 1938 - Krieg gegen die Tschechoslowakei Kindle Ausgabe von Klaus Michaelis (Autor), Rolf Michaelis (Herausgeber)

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”