Nehring, XXIV Pzk. & "Hube's" Pocket

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Richard Murphy

Nehring, XXIV Pzk. & "Hube's" Pocket

Post by Richard Murphy » 05 May 2002 23:50

Another Sunday, another confusion.

I have been trying to write about Walter Nehring's command of XXIV Pzk. and seem to have run slap bang into a roadblock concerning the period in the Spring of 1944, in particular around the period when 1st Panzerarmee was cut off in the Kaments-Podolsk pocket (AKA "Hube's Pocket".).

When was XXIV transferred to 1st Pza?

Some sources indicate that the Korps was trapped inside (One even says that Nehring was put in overall command, but that's from a 1946 history of Russian Campaigns, so I treat it with extreme sceptisism.), others that they formed part of the relief force! Another says that they were within the pocket, but assigned their armour between Breith and von der Chevallerie's commands for the breakout!!

Can someone PLEASE tell me what is correct whilst I go lie down in a darkened room with a cold cloth on my head?

Frustrated regards from a weary Park,

Rich

PS sorry about double posting, but there are some here that don't appear to go to Feldgrau and vice versa.

PPS Are there any good sites online with a decent article on the pocket (I've tried various searches but found nothing.)?

Cheers,

RFM

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Nehrings Pz.K.

Post by Christoph Awender » 06 May 2002 00:03

Hello Richard!
I am sure I can help you when I get back home from night duty in a few hours. I for myself prefer this forum to Feldgrau so in the future I will just post on messages from you here if this is OK with you. :-)

Christoph

Richard Murphy

Thanks

Post by Richard Murphy » 06 May 2002 00:53

Thanks Christoph,
I'll withdraw to my room and re-read what sources I do have (Or throw them out the window if I don't fall into a fitfull sleep first muttering "Nehring", "Hube" "Kaments-Podolsk" etc etc!!).

Night night

Rich

PS did a Googlesearch and came up with 12,000 hits!! Got to about page 30 before giving up!!
:roll:

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Hube pocket

Post by Christoph Awender » 06 May 2002 19:32

Hello!

I agree with the answer on Feldgrau. This was also what I found out looking at the sources I have on hand.
The map I provided you with the other post shows the units in the pocket on 31.1.1944

regards,
Christoph

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”