Panzer-Grenadier-Lehr-Regiment 901

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
keith A

Panzer-Grenadier-Lehr-Regiment 901

Post by keith A » 31 Jul 2016, 09:37

Would a Panzer-Grenadier infantryman of this unit receive the Panzer-Sturmabzeichen or Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen? I assumed the latter but research on the internet indicates otherwise.

[url][http://www.historical-media.com/index_featured.htm/url].

regards

Keith

Hauptmann Holston

Re: Panzer-Grenadier-Lehr-Regiment 901

Post by Hauptmann Holston » 31 Jul 2016, 19:23

The safe bet is a bronze Panzer Assault Badge.
I think the answer is bronze of either depending upon which unit they were subordinate to at the time of the required engagements and what type of engagement (armored or motorized infantry)
I'm not sure they might? have both if the requirements were achieved.

Panzer Sturmabzeichen:

The Bronze Panzer Badge recognizes the crews of armored vehicles other than tanks.
Most commonly for armored personnel and Panzergrenadier units equipped with armored vehicles and also armored reconnaissance groups and rifle battalions of Panzer divisions.
(The silver version was only for panzer, jagdpanzer, StuG crews) of panzer formations, who took part in armoured assaults.)

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen:

The Bronze Class version was awarded to the following:
Soldiers who had participated in 3 or more motorised infantry assaults, or counter attacks.
Soldiers who had engaged in motorised hand-to-hand combat in an assault position.
Soldiers who had participated in 3 or more armed motorised reconnaissance missions.

The Silver Class version was awarded to the following:
Soldiers who had participated in 3 or more infantry assaults, or counter attacks.
Soldiers who had engaged in hand-to-hand combat in an assault position.
Soldiers who had participated in 3 or more armed recon missions.

Also there was the......

General Assault Badge (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen):
Instituted on 1 June, 1940. Awarded to troops in units not qualified for the Infantry Assault or Panzer Assault Badges (such as pioneer, artillery or flak). The base award was for 3 assaults on 3 separate days.

Later ( from July 1943) higher numbers of assaults were indicated. (25, 50, 75 and 100)
"Tanks"
Herr Heer Holston

keith A

Post by keith A » 01 Aug 2016, 10:04

Cheers HH

Looks like Infantry IS most likely to me. I wonder if the example I quoted was awarded because he was a driver (perhaps of an SPW?).

Regards

Keith

Hauptmann Holston

Post by Hauptmann Holston » 01 Aug 2016, 20:01

Sorry Keith, I did not see the URL address to place it in context, I thought it was a general question.

So why do you think he would or should have the infantry assault badge? (I don't disagree with you)

Yes most likely awarded because he was a driver, but also maybe because his unit was attached to one of Panzer-Lehr-Abteilung during 3 or more days of armoured fighting or he and his vehicle were involved in 3 armoured reconnaissance.

But if the package for sale has his soldbuch it will tell you why he received the panzer assault badge.... If you buy it....and if you read German.
"Tanks"
Herr Heer Holston

keith A

Post by keith A » 02 Aug 2016, 10:24

I read a bit of German but the question is still out there. I wonder if there is a definitive answer? Why would a driver receive the Panzer badge and would an infantryman in his SPW receive the infantry badge? I think the only way I will find out is to get a few individual Panzer-Grenandier/infantrymens records together and see if they differ on this question. I like your explanation of the driver option, it would fit the circumstances well.

best regards

Keith

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 02 Aug 2016, 11:45

It might be because he was in 7. Kompanie which was part of II. (Panzergrenadier)/Pz.Gren.Lehr-Rgt. 901 (so transport in halftracks) whereas if he was serving in I.(Grenadier)/Pz.Gren.Lehr-Rgt. 901 (motorised/foot) it would of been the Bronze Infantry Assault Badge.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 02 Aug 2016, 15:29

hucks216 wrote:It might be because he was in 7. Kompanie which was part of II.(Panzergrenadier)/Pz.Gren.Lehr-Rgt 901 (so transport in halftracks) whereas if he was serving in I.(Grenadier)/Pz.Gren.Lehr-Rgt 901 (motorised/foot) it would of been the Bronze Infantry Assault Badge.
Good knowledge of the Panzer-Division organisation, but wasn't the Panzer-Lehr issued with enough SPW for all its battalions to be armoured?

I must get out more....

hoot72

Post by hoot72 » 20 Mar 2017, 10:59

Excellent discussion gentlemen.

Question. Would the foreign legion panzer grenadiers under the Waffen SS in France have gotten a bronze or silver assault badge for anti-tank combat using anti-tank weapons?

Example: the indian units who confronted american tanks and infantry after D-Day.
Attachments
Axis 6.jpg
Axis 5.jpg
Whever we went, whatever we did, we quoted the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUhjWJVVCQ&t=199s

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”