Where is this?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
PatrickBateman

Re: Where is this?

Post by PatrickBateman » 21 Jan 2017, 11:56

Thanks for that list. I always thought that Dachau mainly was an concentration camp.

Another question, does anyone know if those soldiers who were at Dachau, knew about the concentration camp and what happened inside? Or was that none of their business?

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 21 Jan 2017, 23:20

Of course they knew that it was a KZ/KL. There was no secret in Germany that those camps existed. When someone was arrested and was transfered to a Camp even if its not was Dachau the common explenation among people was " he is in Dachau".
There was even articles in newspapers about the camps in different german papers before the war. I have neen searching which Swedish journalists visited the KL Sachsenhausen in 1937. There are two photos of that event in "Von Sachsenburg Zu Sachsenhausen" and originally those photos was in Commandant Kochs personally photoalbum.

About the treatment was more of a secret. Before the war inmates was released from time to time. When they was released they had to sign a paper that they had been treated hard but fair. If they would reveale anything about the actually treatment they would end up in the Camp again. When the war started those releases almost siezed to exist or become very rare, as they was believed to be a real threat to Germany and there was an order that they should remain in the camp as long as the war continued.

In the last part of the war a lot of inmates got the opportunity to rehabilitate themselves as "volonteers" in the SS-Brigade " Dirlewanger" mostly the criminals but in some cases even former Social Democrates and Communists.

This stories are explained in many books about the camps.

Regards
Georg
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 03 Mar 2017, 11:11

Instead of making a new topic, I'm gonna use this one again, asking if someone knows where this place is?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 03 Mar 2017, 13:59

Klagenfurt Khevenhueller Kaserne, used to be SS-Junkerschule.

BarKokhba

Post by BarKokhba » 04 Mar 2017, 03:09

In which buildings were inmates abused, starved and tortured?

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 04 Mar 2017, 05:09

BarKokhba wrote:In which buildings were inmates abused, starved and tortured?
No inmates were kept at the Kaserne (barracks)/SS Junkerschule so no abuse towards them occurred there, if that is what you are asking. In Dachau? Anyplace inmates were, particularly at the Bunker building and it's courtyard.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 19 Mar 2017, 14:54

Sorry for changing the subject again of this topic, but I want to talk about the Dauchau photo again.

I have a few photos were a relative of mine stands with a few comrades in front of that sign. (taken somewhere between 1941-42) This sounds maybe silly, but could it be that he was also in the Totenkopf Division? (probably not because we know for sure he already fought with SS Westland and the LSSAH) Because If I read some older posts here, troops of the Totenkopf Division trained at Dachau.

As far as I know he wasn't in the Totenkopf Division, but who knows. (were there even Dutch men in that Division?) I don't know the reason why he and his comrades were at Dachau. Perhaps just visiting the place?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”