4. E SS "Westland"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
PatrickBateman

Re: 4. E SS "Westland"

Post by PatrickBateman » 17 Mar 2017, 15:44

Thank you Keenan.

Sadly it's still hard to compare the faces (because it's a photo of a photo, and book photos miss a lot of detail most of the time) with group photos I already have. Some match a bit, others don't. The fact that it is Totenkopf group would be enough to say it isn't our relative, but me and some other family members recognized or saw immediately that it is our relative.

So, we keep looking for a high res photo and we probably will buy the book itself, to be 100% sure.

Keenan, you said in an older post "Dictionnaire de la Waffen-SS: Tome 4 - Charles Trang. As a brief description of the above unit." What information does Tome 4 have about the 4kp Ersatz Bataillon Westland? Only text/info or also photos?

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 24 Mar 2017, 17:46

Beside that my relative was in the Westland Regiment, he was also in the 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte. Can someone confirm this emblem/logo is the key from the LSSAH? (located on the back of a truck)

BramvanS

Post by BramvanS » 24 Mar 2017, 18:58

It indeed looks like the key symbol.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 24 Mar 2017, 22:21

I thought so too. I'm always looking for 'clues' on the photos I've got and just noticed that symbol. I always thought that the photos were taken during his Westland Regiment service.

It was probably taken during his service in the 18.(Pz.Jäg.) Inf.Rgt.1 "LSSAH", because of the Pak 38 anti-tank gun on the photos. Is the 18.(Pz.Jäg.) Inf.Rgt.1 "LSSAH" part of the Infanterie-Regiment 4 SS- Adolf Hitler? The WASt said he was also in that unit.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”