Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Laurence Strong

Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Post by Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017, 01:16

Hi All

I'm in a discussion with a fella and he is stating that "Großdeutschland battalions had twice the number of MMGs and medium mortars of a standard motorized rifle battalion." Is this correct?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Larry

Gary Kennedy

Re: Großdeutchland MG and mortar strenght.

Post by Gary Kennedy » 13 Oct 2017, 02:20

Sort of depends when you're talking about.

The Feb 1941 KStN for the GD MG Company was the usual 6x 8-cm mortars and 12 HMGs, while the Rifle Coys look to have been on 12 LMG and 2 HMG each for early 1941. When the Rifle Coys went onto the PzGren model (early 1942ish?) this increased to 18 LMGs, 4 HMGs and 2x 8-cm mortars per Coy, while the MG Coy was also retained. So, if fully equipped and staffed, they would have 24 HMG and 12x 8-cm mortars per motorised Bn. I understand that LAH had the same organisation as well. GD lost their MG Coys in early 1944 I think so it was a relatively short timeframe for them to have the increased allocation.

Gary

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017, 03:05

Hello Gary

Thanks for the reply. Yes we were talking the 41/42 period.

Appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

Learnt something new today.

Cheers
Larry

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 13 Oct 2017, 19:45

Not sure what you mean about the HMGs and mortars being added to the companies themselves not the heavy weapons platoons - in GD the heavy weapons platoons were in the rifle companies (fourth platoon)
As I am well outside my firing arcs when it comes to OOB's I am not sure whether this is correct or not!!

Is there a link for this and other GD KStN's? "Feb 1941 KStN for the GD MG Company"

Again thanks for the help

Cheers
Larry

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 14 Oct 2017, 14:41

The GD Regt MG Coy KStN can be seen here;

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1621feb41.htm

Unfortunately the pre-war series of tables specific to the Regt went to the great shredder in the sky a long time ago it seems. The various gliederung charts I've seen for the Regt in the early years of the war give a few clues, but nothing detailed. Re the quote above, HMGs and 8-cm mortars were generally formed into a specific Heavy Platoon within the Company in the PzGren organisations of late 1941 to late 1944.

Gary

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 13 Nov 2017, 08:57

Gary Kennedy wrote:Sort of depends when you're talking about.

The Feb 1941 KStN for the GD MG Company was the usual 6x 8-cm mortars and 12 HMGs, while the Rifle Coys look to have been on 12 LMG and 2 HMG each for early 1941. When the Rifle Coys went onto the PzGren model (early 1942ish?) this increased to 18 LMGs, 4 HMGs and 2x 8-cm mortars per Coy, while the MG Coy was also retained. So, if fully equipped and staffed, they would have 24 HMG and 12x 8-cm mortars per motorised Bn. I understand that LAH had the same organisation as well. GD lost their MG Coys in early 1944 I think so it was a relatively short timeframe for them to have the increased allocation.

Gary
Hi, Gary, I see Leibstandarte OOB on Sept 1 and Oct 1 1943 , MG kopmanie only had a dozen HMG but mortar were retailed in heavy PG company, in Feb 1944, the disbandment of MG kompanie in GD and three Waffen SS Pz divisons was because shortage of manpower so combined both MG and Heavy PG company ?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”