Staraia Russa StuG and Pz.Jg abteilungen!

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
ViKinG

Staraia Russa StuG and Pz.Jg abteilungen!

Post by ViKinG » 30 Nov 2017, 08:05

Does anybody have any sources on the locations of Self propelled anti-tank abteilungs 616 and 559 during the German counter-attack at Staraia Russa by LVI panzer korps in August 1941?? They were both attached to the LVI panzer korps at the beginning of Barbarossa and trying to see if they took part in the counter-attack. Also, There were some StuG's present with 3rd motorised and 3rd waffen SS Totenkopf at Staraia Russa, I am trying to figure out if these StuG's belonged to Totenkopf's batterie, or to another StuG Abteilungen?? This would be a great help!

I realise I have this post in another section, but I had no responses so I thought this one might be a better location.

Thanks in advance

Luc!

GregSingh

Re: Staraia Russa StuG and Pz.Jg abteilungen!

Post by GregSingh » 30 Nov 2017, 10:56

Well, according to Tessin, 616 was part of 4.PzG at the begining of Barbarossa and in mid-July moved to XXXXI.PzK
So it was never in LVI.

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 30 Nov 2017, 11:00

Interesting ! Any information on the StuG batteries?

alessandro bray

Post by alessandro bray » 30 Nov 2017, 21:10

559. participated in the attack on Luga on 10 august 1941

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 30 Nov 2017, 23:46

Excellent! Do you have a source for that information that I can use??

alessandro bray

Post by alessandro bray » 02 Dec 2017, 14:12

Hi Luc,

in Autumn Gale is a brief description of 559. PzJAbt operations before Market Garden. Btw a very informative and detailed book.

Alessandro

alessandro bray

Post by alessandro bray » 02 Dec 2017, 14:38

StuG Batterie 660 participated in the battle for Luga, possibly attached to 3. Infanterie Motorized, TK had its own StuG too

ViKinG

Post by ViKinG » 02 Dec 2017, 16:15

Yes Totenkopf had its own StuG battery but it didnt' arrive until September and by that time the division was East of the Pola River southeast of Staraia Russa. I've also got the StuG Batterie 660 listed as fighting with the 269th Infanterie division and Polizei at Luga. I have several written reports from the Northwester Front Soviet command listing they were fighting german "tanks" near Vzgliady, Velikoye Selo and Dergletz (southwest of Staraia Russa) during the LVI panzer korps counter-attack on August 19th-30th. Obviously there were no German tanks in the area and this leads me to believe they were StuG units. THey can't be T-Kopf cause they were not there yet. German reports from the 3rd motorised infanterie division report the use of StuG units with their regiments as early as August 20-28th during teh counter-attack but they don't mention WHICH unit this was. This is what i'm most curious to find out.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”